Are Moori & Kamui tips really worth the money or is it all hype?

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
There are a lot of layered tips on the market is it all hype?
$20 for a tip or $5 for a Tiger Emerald layered tip?
What is hype and what is the real deal?

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member

Look at it this way. There are a thousand+ cue makers, from $100 to
$100K. They all fill a niche, just like tips.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
What about going through 1 box of triangles to find 2 or 3 max decent tips.
Kamuis are not hype, the current Mooris are. I need to try the new Moori V to test it...

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are certain things that we don't need to buy too often but that we use frequently enough that it's generally reasonable to fork out a little extra money for even small improvements in quality.

tooth brushes, pillows, and tips

all fall into this category, imo

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have been using Tiger Hard Layered Tips for YEARS, and they are a BEST BUY. IMHO I wish I could play as good as the a guy in Arizona who plays with a McDermott Plane Jane and LePro but the name of Doug H.

Doug use to win it all with his ability, not his Cue or TIP.

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
I end up spending about $40/year to put on a Kamui or Moori tip on my cue. It lasts me a good year or so and I like the way they play. Maybe spending $20 on a triangle would be just as good, but for the extra $20 I have found I've never regretted getting one of them.

I currently have a Kamui on my main cue and a Moori on my backup.

Brian

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't think there is any hype on any layered tip. There was a time when we had 3 choices. Elk Master, Le Pro, Triangle. At least where I live. I know there were many more brands available, just not at the shop here. I stock pretty much all of the popular and have a few Kamuis. I have the luxury of trying all of them.
They are all good. I try to match a tip to what a player expects or prefers in a tip.

Myself, I was using my own Duds for quite a while, Le Pros on my Brunswick conversions and as of late, found that I love the Triangle.

I shot a few games with a friends Huebler that had a brown Kamui medium on it. I was quite impressed.

Try a few and see what your preference is.
Myself, I'll most likely stick with the Triangle from now on. Thats what suits my play the most. I never thought that I would like a hard tip but thats what does it for me.

If you check EBay, the Seller is Delta Sports. They sell a tip called the California. 5 layers. Probably made in Taiwan. Looks like a Moori, Talisman, Kamui.
You can buy 10 for $10. Excellent layered tip for a buck. You don't have to break the bank to have a layered tip on your cue.

Tide, new improved Tide, new extra improved Tide. I can't see the difference.

Water proof tips, Ooooh, you might need one if you start playing pool in your pool. Why do I need a water proof tip?
If you're talking about that kind of hype, then I have no idea. I guess everyone has to try and get an edge on marketing.
5 layer, 9, 10, 16, I guess more is better. Actually, I don't pocket any more balls with a layered tip than I can with a Triangle.
What I can do with a Triangle is suck that ball back easier than any tip I've tried. I did a sweet masse shot and pocketed a ball last night. I'm working on jump shots with a full length cue, not great yet buts its coming. Thats why I think the single layer Triangle is sweet.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your tip is the most important part of your cue, it costs less than table time. So use what ever works best for you, its different for everyone. I like Triangles, coincedentally I have the best tip I have ever had in 25 years on my cue right now, but I had probbaly 6 consecutive bad ones in a row prior to the great tip I have now, with Triangles its the luck of the draw, i believe the layered tips are more reliable meaning there arnt as many bad ones per 100 tips made, where as single layer tips there are more bad tips per 100 made, i'd say that 60-70% of the time I get a good one, however my friend picks over lots of tips before He selects one for me so that gives me a bit of a edge, he gets probably 20% good ones. So while its a cheap tip-it costs a lot of money to get to the good one. Even if it cost more I wouldnt care, the reason being is I like how they play. I was just given a huge gift, some old LePro's red back, black back and one tan back, those 5 tips are all very old but not dried out and they are the nectar IMO. I like single layer tips. However I have owned and played with good layered tips. I have a friend who is a pro player who has a prototype tip, its 18 months old and shown no sign of wear, mushrooming etc. I dont think they will ever make it to market because they last to long, and it plays like a single layer tip IMO.

When I get a bad tip(single layer) I still can get 25 hours of play time out of it before problems start, the tip I have now has well over 120 hours on it and it will last 300, no mushroom, dosent glaze over, rarely miscue. it isnt wearing down fast. when non layered tips fail they wear down fast, mushroom, glaze over or get hard. On a average good non layered tip I get 100 hrs of play time

layered tips dont wear down fast they either get rock hard or fall apart when they fail, That can happen in fast as 25 hours or they can last a very long time and stay consistant if you get one like that it will wear down without falling apart or mushrooming. I have had good ones that lasted a long time, I perfer the feel of a non-layered tip.

best
eric

price of tips should NEVER be a concern if your serious about pool.

i hope that info helps, there isnt much else i can think of.

Last edited:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I've never tried a regular Kamui...only the Kamui black SS and soft. With the Kamui blacks I will say they install fantastic, look great and hold chalk and their shape great. I thought the SS was just too soft and felt dead to me. I thought the Kamui black soft was a great tip, but not as good as a Sniper (only my opinion).

With the Moori I only have the Moori IIIs they also install great, look great and hold chalk great. I like the hit of em, but they mushroom pretty quick so once again not as good as a Sniper in my opinion.

I'm sticking with Snipers and unless by chance the quality turns I won't be switching any time soon.

As with anything else some are worth the money and some are all hype.

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
Please don't don't take my OP the wrong way. I would pay $100 for the right tip if I knew in my heart it was the best tip. What I don't like to do is throw away money on hype. That is the reson behind this thread. I guess a better way to ask the question would be:
If money was no object what tip would you play?

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Please don't don't take my OP the wrong way. I would pay $100 for the right tip if I knew in my heart it was the best tip. What I don't like to do is throw away money on hype. That is the reson behind this thread. I guess a better way to ask the question would be:
If money was no object what tip would you play?

Triangle is my choice. Maybe I just get lucky all the time. I haven't had a bad one in 15 years and I install them myself.

WFD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People spend lots of money on a, hopefully, nice cue. Then they hesitate when they are planning on putting on a tip because of the price. imo the tip is one of the most important parts of a cue and can completely ruin the feeling. Put on what feels best for you.

How much $/hr for playing, do you have a beer when playing ... how much $/hr you pay for your tip?

PS! It's not the price that matters. It's the feeling.

jmurphy

SWEET
Silver Member
People spend lots of money on a, hopefully, nice cue. Then they hesitate when they are planning on putting on a tip because of the price. imo the tip is one of the most important parts of a cue and can completely ruin the feeling. Put on what feels best for you.

How much $/hr for playing, do you have a beer when playing ... how much $/hr you pay for your tip?

PS! It's not the price that matters. It's the feeling.

It seems that the way I phrased the OP people seem to think I'm trying to be a cheap skate when it comes to buying a tip. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll pay through the nose for the right equipment including the tip.
What I am asking is, do Moori and or Kamui tips preform better then their competition or is it all marketing hype that allows them to charge 4 times as much as the tried and true tips?

WFD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like the two with best reviews are Kamui (Black) and Triangle. Lots of people I know say, "Once you tried black, you wont go back".
Maybe take a few days and $$. Do a blind test. Tell someone what kind of feel you looking for and let someone put on a tip.

My point is that nobody can tell for sure, except you.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always liked the lepro's, but then again I always liked Old Meucci's, so thats a pretty decent tip for that cue. A while back I bought a new Schon, with the schon tip, which is a pretty hard tip, but I find I like the hard tip, as well as the harder hit of the schon also. Last weekend I shot a bit with a Joss that a buddy has that he just put a Kamui Black Medium on, with a predator Z2 shaft. I didn't like the shaft, but I was impressed with the feel of the tip. The medium felt alittle soft to me since using my schon, but the tip really grips the cueball, and the spin is effortless. I think I might try a black medium on my schon shaft, though it felt a little soft. I've read they play a bit harder after a bit of use. I have used Moori's, and Snipers, but in my opinion neither compare to the black kamui.

Monkey-Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that the way I phrased the OP people seem to think I'm trying to be a cheap skate when it comes to buying a tip. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll pay through the nose for the right equipment including the tip.
What I am asking is, do Moori and or Kamui tips preform better then their competition or is it all marketing hype that allows them to charge 4 times as much as the tried and true tips?
I currently use Kamui Original Medium tips on my playing shaft (only had them put on yesterday after having some bad experiences with the pressed Triangle I had on for 5 weeks).

I went back to Kamui, as they are great. What I like about them is the consistency levels are far greater than any tip on the market (IMO). Straight out the box and onto a shaft, they play great. With it being a Medium hardness tip, you dont really see any great deal of mushrooming, although it happens on all tips.

For me, paying £15 on a Kamui or £5 for a Triangle, it makes sense to me that I am most comfortable with a Kamui so should always stick with that. I used a Triangle as previously stated, and it was a nice tip. I managed to get a good tip out the box, and was fortunate. I played about 5-6 weeks solid with it, but the tip I had went fairly hard, I started to miscue more, and it indeed glazed over on me. Even with some tip maintenance I couldnt bring it back to how it played in the first 2 weeks...hence the change back to Kamui.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
There are certain things that we don't need to buy too often but that we use frequently enough that it's generally reasonable to fork out a little extra money for even small improvements in quality.

tooth brushes, pillows, and tips

all fall into this category, imo

That's a pretty good analogy and I agree.....

James

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I have a feeling these responses aren't aimed at you or your posts, but at the general "these tips are too expensive' threads and comments that are often heard. We get a new tip thread every other day, it seems, or at least every other week, so that is probably why you are seeing those resposnses in your thread.

I appreciate your question, and the resposnses. I'm probably gonna try the Kamui the next time I replace mine, based on resposnses in this thread, and many threads before it.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Changing tip

Hoping to try the famous Kamui black SS soon. Will report back with the amazing/sad results. Do you know what you have if a chump plays with a Gus Zamboti cue with Kamui tip? He's still a chump! It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I end up spending about $40/year to put on a Kamui or Moori tip on my cue. It lasts me a good year or so and I like the way they play. Maybe spending $20 on a triangle would be just as good, but for the extra $20 I have found I've never regretted getting one of them.

I currently have a Kamui on my main cue and a Moori on my backup.

Brian

That make CENTS!