Sportmanship at US Open

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweeping the balls because he was frustrated and getting trounced? In front of everybody at the country's (possibly the planet's) most prestigious event?

What a great display for his sponsor - LOL. An ambassador for a company? Yea right.

The US Open should look hard at sportmanship for next year.

Last edited:

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry was done before the lag.... That Alex match destroyed his confidence.... All you Nevel lovers come in and defend him all you want... But he had no business getting that deep and it showed.... Issue with Larry now and will always be between his ears.... Prob most talented player in the game today.... He got there on pure ability alone.... Imagine how deadly this man would be if he would learn to play the game correctly??? How many times are u gonna attempt to fram when u can just float shortside??? Very stubborn man that refuses to accept what the table gives him... He is aware of his ability and relies on it way too much.... simplify, simplify, simplify

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It does get embarrassing, and this kind of behavior on a streamed event really makes the pro pool product look bad. Of course, it's common knowledge that many of the players feel no obligation to event producers and promoters. If you have any doubts about that, you need only reread the ABP threads.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be too hard on Nevel.............

Sweeping the balls because he was frustrated and getting trounced? In front of everybody at the country's (possibly the planet's) most prestigious event?

What a great display for his sponsor - LOL. An ambassador for a company? Yea right.

Larry Nevel is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet in this pool level.

I'm proud to say that Larry is a personal friend of mine. I'll never forget years back when a guy from Rockford named Phil came walking into the poolroom and talked me into giving this 17 year old kid a big spot for the cash.

I escaped the trap luckily but became instant friends with Larry nevel. I knew he would be something special in this pool world. And yes we have played some and gambled some over the years. Larry was always a perfect gentleman. I'm sure others would say the same.

Not making excuses for Larry but sometimes it is really hard to control your emotions in pressure situations like the US Open. What makes it even harder is being diabetic. If your blood sugar is too high it magnifies your anxiety to a level that is hard to imagine.

When the blood sugar is too high it is really hard to control your emotions. I've learned over the past 2 years to keep my mouth shut and not react to my thoughts to strongly when I don't feel good. But there is nothing you can do once your in this place with the high blood sugar. You not only have to control the blood sugar but you really have to work hard to control your emotions which at times can be almost mission impossible.

If I had a company I would sponsor Larry in a heart beat. Baseball players snap bats in half over their knees on live TV all the time. Throw helmets and break water coolers in the dugout.

Things happen in the heat of the battle. It's kind of the nature of the beast. Competition............

With emotions on high and being in the final 8 at the US Open, being diabetic is tough.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
hmmm

I'm proud to say that Larry is a personal friend of mine. I'll never forget years back when a guy from Rockford named Phil came walking into the poolroom and talked me into giving this 17 year old kid a big spot for the cash.

I escaped the trap luckily but became instant friends with Larry nevel. I knew he would be something special in this pool world. And yes we have played some and gambled some over the years. Larry was always a perfect gentleman. I'm sure others would say the same.

Not making excuses for Larry but sometimes it is really hard to control your emotions in pressure situations like the US Open. What makes it even harder is being diabetic. If your blood sugar is too high it magnifies your anxiety to a level that is hard to imagine.

When the blood sugar is too high it is really hard to control your emotions. I've learned over the past 2 years to keep my mouth shut and not react to my thoughts to strongly when I don't feel good. But there is nothing you can do once your in this place with the high blood sugar. You not only have to control the blood sugar but you really have to work hard to control your emotions which at times can be almost mission impossible.

If I had a company I would sponsor Larry in a heart beat. Baseball players snap bats in half over their knees on live TV all the time. Throw helmets and break water coolers in the dugout.

Things happen in the heat of the battle. It's kind of the nature of the beast. Competition............

With emotions on high and being in the final 8 at the US Open, being diabetic is tough.

Gotta agree... Good Post. Competition sometimes brings the worst out in all of us. At least he was MAD at himself..... and took it out on himself....

Again, this is NOT the ballet..... it's sports, with men, in competition with the best in the world.....Sh*t Happens..

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Come on Gene,usually anything you say here, i hold in high regard,but this about blood sugar and the way nevel acted is total bullshit n u no it,so i guess when Larry won his first 10 matches his blood sugar levels were fine,if u r going to try n defend your buddy,try a little harder next time Gene,this isnt going to do it,it makes me mad because i love Larrys game so much,he can do things on the table that no 1 could ever do,he doesnt need to act the way he does,i wish he would get help for it,Larry is losing so many titles because of his demeaner,Gene you r rite about Larry being a nice guy,that he is!

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see your point, too.

Frankly, thank you for your post. I see/follow your perspective and respect your insight.

I don't know Mr. Nevel personally, but I take your word.

However, I stand by my view.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member

OK, you brought up a problem that you saw!

Not saying its right what Larry did, but what is your solution for ensuring good sportsmanship occurs and this problem doesnt continue?

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Gotta agree... Good Post. Competition sometimes brings the worst out in all of us. At least he was MAD at himself..... and took it out on himself....

Again, this is NOT the ballet..... it's sports, with men, in competition with the best in the world.....Sh*t Happens..
Hey RJ, just wanted to say hi. Hope all is well with you guys.

gdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Geno, it's a good thing you have an income producing item, because your career as a defense attorney is laughable.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well, we certainly wish Larry everything good with respect to his health, but I'm sure Larry knows that when you play on the stream table, you are representing both yourself and your sport.

If his medical situation is such that behavior reflecting poorly on pool was foreseeable, the tournament organizers should have been advised of it by Larry. Then, they'd have had the option of streaming a different match in that round, or at least, they might have made the commentators aware of the possibility that they might have to come to the rescue of the sport's dignity.

Let's not forget, incidents like this may happen in the most established sports, and are often overlooked. but pool is one of the many sports fighting for credibility, recognition, and sponsorship.

This doesn't help!

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This makes me think too.

OK, you brought up a problem that you saw!

Not saying its right what Larry did, but what is your solution for ensuring good sportsmanship occurs and this problem doesnt continue?

Honestly - off the top of my head - I don't have an immediate answer.

Perhaps some sort of pledge. Something codified.

Obviously, somethings already are. He swept the balls; he was DQed. So something exists, unwritten or otherwise.

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny thing is Larry is at the open and finished in the top 4 and the ones who think it's a perfect world are ridiculing behind a computer screen. Congrats to Larry on a great finish and to the ones who think emotions don't belong in sports should try the show at the opera.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Some say all judgement of others is merely self-judgement in disguise.

Thanks

Kevin

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
To be honest, I'm sitting in judgment of pool, and, as a thirty six year veteran of the tournament trail, I do feel qualified. Anyone who disputes my right to evaluate and express my opinion on how this kind of behavior reflects on pool does me an injustice.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
few care

To be honest, I'm sitting in judgment of pool, and, as a thirty six year veteran of the tournament trail, I do feel qualified. Anyone who disputes my right to evaluate and express my opinion on how this kind of behavior reflects on pool does me an injustice.

I think we both recognize the same thing. Neither viewers or fellow competitors care what assets or what baggage someone brings with them. In open competition only performance and behavior matters, "why" isn't a consideration.

Hu