Open Offer to Danny Harriman and John Schmidt from TAR

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis Orcullo will be here from May 1-21. I have reached out to Justin via PM and e-mail with no response so far. I don't think anyone has to beat him (not even Shane) on the TAR table playing Ten Ball, but that's just my opinion.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Dennis Orcullo will be here from May 1-21. I have reached out to Justin via PM and e-mail with no response so far. I don't think anyone has to beat him (not even Shane) on the TAR table playing Ten Ball, but that's just my opinion.

Jay,
glad you are home safe and sound......

Hope Justin can hook it up... He can definitively get in my pocket with SVB V Orcullo...

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
what will dennis give up? You got my contact info jay. I don't read az anymore but hit me up.

..... Popcornsmilie.gif.....

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
What you guys are missing is that professional pool players are self employed just like any other self employed person, like say a plumber. If a self employed plumber gets to a $100,000 salary, he does so in bits and pieces here and there. Maybe $600 for this job, $250 for that job, $3000 for another job, and just his $80 minimum service charge on another job when he gets there and finds there isn't a problem after all, etc, and of course you subtract expenses. All these earnings add up, and the only way he will ever reach $100,000, or maximize his full income potential whatever it is, is to accept jobs, not turn them down.

A professional pool player makes his income the same way. He gets $400 gambling over here, $1800 for winning a regional event over there, $160 for robbing the weekly local tournament over here, $4000 for taking third in a pro tournament over there, etc, and of course you subtract expenses, and the earnings all add up.

The TAR offer was akin to offering a minimum service call of $1000 to the plumber, plus you were covering all his expenses, plus your plumbing problem may cost up to $5000 to fix, and he will get to find out after he gets there and sees what is wrong, but either way he gets his minimum $1000 service call and all expenses paid.

So while $1000-5000 isn't $100,000 all by itself, there just are no $100,000 jobs to be had and a self employed person isn't ever going to get to $100,000 or any other decent income when he keeps turning down those smaller good money making jobs (like say those $1000 jobs with a chance to earn $5000 on it, particularly when that will be all profit and there are zero expenses to deduct).

A self employed person only increases his annual income by accepting jobs, not by turning them down. Of course he will never get to that $100,000 by turning down good free money.

Thank you for this post PoolPlaya9.

As I said before, I posted these numbers to illustrate that the TAR's offer is a nice chunk of change for the average person and pool players of all level...even SVB. Shane knows a good deal when he sees it.

Danny has let his emotions, ego, and/or greed get in the way of a good, sound business decision. There is an old saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." Pool players do not "feed" from just one hand, but I don't see others offering a piece of steak like TAR. Danny bit a hand that was attempting to feed him, now that steak is on the burner waiting for another mouth.

There is something seriously wrong with the mentality of players. We have seen this short-sighted display by players before and likely to see it again. Frankly, I'm so sick of these ignorant group of players who are unwilling to do anything to help their own cause and more over ruin it for others. I, like many others, would like to see an organized professional tour. Not for the ungrateful group that exist today, but for future generations. Sadly, the next generation will probably have less than what is available today.

I applaud Justin and Mark for their, sometimes thankless, love and dedication to the promotion of the sport. It's unfortunate we don't have more player ambassadors to compliment their efforts.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny has let his emotions, ego, and/or greed get in the way of a good, sound business decision. There is an old saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." Pool players do not "feed" from just one hand, but I don't see others offering a piece of steak like TAR. Danny bit a hand that was attempting to feed him, now that steak is on the burner waiting for another mouth.

There is something seriously wrong with the mentality of players. We have seen this short-sighted display by players before and likely to see it again. Frankly, I'm so sick of these ignorant group of players who are unwilling to do anything to help their own cause and more over ruin it for others. I, like many others, would like to see an organized professional tour. Not for the ungrateful group that exist today, but for future generations. Sadly, the next generation will probably have less than what is available today.
While we would all like to see Danny play JS, it's still Danny's decision to make. Regardless of what Danny's reasons were for declining the offer to play, we should all respect his decision without second-guessing or criticizing him.

jason

Silver Member
While we would all like to see Danny play JS, it's still Danny's decision to make. Regardless of what Danny's reasons were for declining the offer to play, we should all respect his decision without second-guessing or criticizing him.

If he had other obligations or just chose not to play, that would be the case, but he asked for 3 1/2 times the money while insulting JCIN in the process. I have no respect for this decision or conduct. I have and will continue to criticize him and others who act like this.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he had other obligations or just chose not to play, that would be the case, but he asked for 3 1/2 times the money while insulting JCIN in the process. I have no respect for this decision or conduct. I have and will continue to criticize him and others who act like this.

Since Danny Harriman can't get paid enough for losing, I wouldn't mind seeing John Schmidt vs Chip Compton in an all around but not sure if Chip Plays the 14.1 game though:)

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you that insulting Justin was uncalled for. I was aware of the 5K/1K prize fund but had not heard that Danny was asking for 3.5 times that amount.

jason

Silver Member
I agree with you that insulting Justin was uncalled for. I was aware of the 5K/1K prize fund but had not heard that Danny was asking for 3.5 times that amount.

Danny wanted $3,500 guaranteed the way I understood it. Again, even though this is a one time deal, TAR doesn't want to set a benchmark they couldn't reach in future matches. Everyone would be demanding X amount of dollars and TAR would soon be out of business if they tried to pay that every time. Don't worry, there are others that are ready step in to the box.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

Last edited:
Reactions: JAM

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Some peolpe who love to hate

This figures there spitting out are not accurate, a few yrs ago I read a post here on az that was yesterdays news pertaining to money that was offered to John only (to my knowledge.) I have been stewing over it ever since, it was not handled properly as I was sent no pm about any possible $ that might have been offered to me. I made a hasty post also and have alot going on right now, this is not an apology to anyone as I don't feel any apology is in order. I made a reasonable offer to the powers at be that might still entertain the thought of this match happening, I think there hoping the match will take place on the West Coast where John is from. I will say that for most of the posters on this forum who spread there message of hate - yall are usually the ones who make excuses for not being able to pocket a ball in the ocean, so keep hiding behind your key boards - haters (it's where yall belong.)

I will play John when I am ready and I can guarantee he has practiced more pool than I have in the last couple of years. I am willing to play and if I burned the bridge with TAR than that is a shame - please note that the figures thrown up by Jason are wrong and if and when Justin and I make ommends maybe the match will happen. As for Mr. 400 if u read this please note that when I was practicing everyday they offered u $2000.00 plus whatever u would have possibly won, I guess u were just too high strung or something like that right John boy. Ohh maybe it's cause I play too slow, either way I won't be pressured into there high pressure sales tactics. I will play the match when it's time - right now is not the time, just as a few years ago when I wnated to play - it was not the right time for John.

Danny Harriman (The Springfield bb gun) lol:smile:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
This figures there spitting out are not accurate, a few yrs ago I read a post here on az that was yesterdays news pertaining to money that was offered to John only (to my knowledge.) I have been stewing over it ever since, it was not handled properly as I was sent no pm about any possible $ that might have been offered to me. I made a hasty post also and have alot going on right now, this is not an apology to anyone as I don't feel any apology is in order. I made a reasonable offer to the powers at be that might still entertain the thought of this match happening, I think there hoping the match will take place on the West Coast where John is from. I will say that for most of the posters on this forum who spread there message of hate - yall are usually the ones who make excuses for not being able to pocket a ball in the ocean, so keep hiding behind your key boards - haters (it's where yall belong.)

I will play John when I am ready and I can guarantee he has practiced more pool than I have in the last couple of years. I am willing to play and if I burned the bridge with TAR than that is a shame - please note that the figures thrown up by Jason are wrong and if and when Justin and I make ommends maybe the match will happen. As for Mr. 400 if u read this please note that when I was practicing everyday they offered u $2000.00 plus whatever u would have possibly won, I guess u were just too high strung or something like that right John boy. Ohh maybe it's cause I play too slow, either way I won't be pressured into there high pressure sales tactics. I will play the match when it's time - right now is not the time, just as a few years ago when I wnated to play - it was not the right time for John.

Stop whining and start winning. You're like a famous troll. Man up.

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member

So, let's try this one more time. If Justin offers John $2000 and he turns it down, then what is the point of offering it to you? Justin: "So Danny, I can offer you a $2000 appearance fee for a match between you and John, but John already turned it down, so you won't get $2000."

Is that what you're mad about? You seriously wanted Justin to make that call?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What will Dennis give up? You got my contact info Jay. I don't read AZ anymore but hit me up.

Oscar, I just heard back from Dennis. He will give you the eight ball in Ten Ball. Now the ball is in your court. :rolleyes:
This is potentially a TAR match, subject to Justin's approval.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
The verdict is in!!!

Guess these guys about summed it up!!!

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 571

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, let's try this one more time. If Justin offers John $2000 and he turns it down, then what is the point of offering it to you? Justin: "So Danny, I can offer you a $2000 appearance fee for a match between you and John, but John already turned it down, so you won't get $2000."

Is that what you're mad about? You seriously wanted Justin to make that call?
Perhaps it's because extending the offer to Danny contingent upon John's acceptance does have the appearance of favoritism.

The better way to extend the offer might have been to make the appearance fee offer available to both players at the exact same time.

Last edited:

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it's because extending the offer to Danny contingent upon John's acceptance does have the appearance of favoritism.

The better way to extend the offer might have been to make the appearance fee offer available to both players at the exact same time.

Do you want a damn conference call, that is ridiculous. You do just what was done and if the guy says yes, you call the other guy.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member

I don't know, but perhaps that's exactly why Justin made this offer the way he did - in public, on the forum. This way he avoids the potential for the situation to happen like it did last time, maily claims of one guy getting preferred treatment. Both guys get the exact same offer, at the exact same time, right in the open, in print.

Makes sense to me.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like the cheese concession on this deal:D

they need something to chase the whine