Open Offer to Danny Harriman and John Schmidt from TAR

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Appearance fees are paid only when needed to attract the desired talent. In pool and other sports the vast majority of players show up without appearance fees because they want to compete and try to prove they can win. And this is the beauty of the sport we all love.

I pose this question; would it make good business sense to pay both players an appearance fee if it's not necessary?

Example, There was a very big one week long tourney in Burbank, CA back in like 1962. Willie Mosconi was getting $10K to appear plus a cut of the gate. All the other players still came and played.

Funny thing about all this is how Danny feels that the tables have turned. He says he wanted to play 2 years ago when he was in stroke. But at that time John was being a Diva (jk). Now John is in stroke and wants to play but Danny is a little gun shy.

I think Danny is either:

1.) Being a little kid and going tit for tat or taking his marbles home.
2.) Doesn't want to embarrass himself or loose this very important rubber match....unless, of course he can get some guaranteed funds

When you read between the lines of Danny's latest post it sounds like he's laying the ground work to attempt to take this match to another venue. But that would not be the right thing to do. Plus, I highly doubt that John would agree.

This needs to be finished on TAR..!!!. The fans want to see it..

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appearance fees are paid only when needed to attract the desired talent. In pool and other sports the vast majority of players show up without appearance fees because they want to compete and try to prove they can win. And this is the beauty of the sport we all love.

I pose this question; would it make good business sense to pay both players an appearance fee if it's not necessary?

Example, There was a very big one week long tourney in Burbank, CA back in like 1962. Willie Mosconi was getting $10K to appear plus a cut of the gate. All the other players still came and played.

Funny thing about all this is how Danny feels that the tables have turned. He says he wanted to play 2 years ago when he was in stroke. But at that time John was being a Diva (jk). Now John is in stroke and wants to play but Danny is a little gun shy.

I think Danny is either:

1.) Being a little kid and going tit for tat or taking his marbles home.
2.) Doesn't want to embarrass himself or loose this very important rubber match....unless, of course he can get some guaranteed funds

When you read between the lines of Danny's latest post it sounds like he's laying the ground work to attempt to take this match to another venue. But that would not be the right thing to do. Plus, I highly doubt that John would agree.

This needs to be finished on TAR..!!!. The fans want to see it..

Your nuts, no wait I didn't mean to say nut dam I did it again please forgive me Hungarian. WOW now that that's over I agree!!!

MexPoolPlyr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar, I just heard back from Dennis. He will give you the eight ball in Ten Ball. Now the ball is in your court. :rolleyes:
This is potentially a TAR match, subject to Justin's approval.

I think I'll wait for a better game, Dennis is too tough for me with that spot. I broke even w Roberto Gomez w that spot on super tough equipment and shit out. Carlo offered me 8/9/10 in Manila but couldnt get game going. If Dennis gives it up Im sure Nicky will cover a nice chunk. if he doesnt, Ill ship it.

I was at OneSide to see Dennis torture Roberto w the 8/10 lol... Thanks Jay for being middle man. If Dennis gives me 8 and some games on wire, we can make something happen. In TAR studio, with or without the camera rolling, dont matter to me... See you in Sin City. let him know the 8 isnt nearly enough. :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I'll wait for a better game, Dennis is too tough for me with that spot. I broke even w Roberto Gomez w that spot on super tough equipment and shit out. Carlo offered me 8/9/10 in Manila but couldnt get game going. If Dennis gives it up Im sure Nicky will cover a nice chunk. if he doesnt, Ill ship it.

I was at OneSide to see Dennis torture Roberto w the 8/10 lol... Thanks Jay for being middle man. If Dennis gives me 8 and some games on wire, we can make something happen. In TAR studio, with or without the camera rolling, dont matter to me... See you in Sin City. let him know the 8 isnt nearly enough. :)

Thanks for the response Oscar. I feel a little guilty asking Dennis to give up the 8, 9 and 10 on the TAR table. It's about the toughest table in existence today and to give up that much weight is a huge handicap on this table. I think we both know that. But I will tell him what you asked for and see what he says. In fairness I will tell him that this table is tighter than anything he's ever played on. After that the decision is his to make. I don't have a dog in this fight and I won't be betting either way, although I may be on the "mic" if the match comes off.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post you need to read!!!

POST # 555 trust me it's the nuts! I read it at 3:30 in the morning and burst out laughing.

PS. It's the last post on page 37 ENJOY!

Last edited:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This figures there spitting out are not accurate, a few yrs ago I read a post here on az that was yesterdays news pertaining to money that was offered to John only (to my knowledge.) I have been stewing over it ever since, it was not handled properly as I was sent no pm about any possible $ that might have been offered to me. I made a hasty post also and have alot going on right now, this is not an apology to anyone as I don't feel any apology is in order. I made a reasonable offer to the powers at be that might still entertain the thought of this match happening, I think there hoping the match will take place on the West Coast where John is from. I will say that for most of the posters on this forum who spread there message of hate - yall are usually the ones who make excuses for not being able to pocket a ball in the ocean, so keep hiding behind your key boards - haters (it's where yall belong.)

I will play John when I am ready and I can guarantee he has practiced more pool than I have in the last couple of years. I am willing to play and if I burned the bridge with TAR than that is a shame - please note that the figures thrown up by Jason are wrong and if and when Justin and I make ommends maybe the match will happen. As for Mr. 400 if u read this please note that when I was practicing everyday they offered u $2000.00 plus whatever u would have possibly won, I guess u were just too high strung or something like that right John boy. Ohh maybe it's cause I play too slow, either way I won't be pressured into there high pressure sales tactics. I will play the match when it's time - right now is not the time, just as a few years ago when I wnated to play - it was not the right time for John.

Danny Harriman (The Springfield bb gun) lol:smile:

I have no dog in this hunt and I like both John & Danny. But just for clarity sake: Danny, the $3500 figure was not pulled out of thin air, it was pulled out of a PM that you (Danny) sent to Justin out of anger that Justin posted in like page 8 of this thing. Danny has already explained that it was based on incomplete information he had re: the $2K offer to John a few years ago - suggest letting this all go and move on to the next thread:

I received this PM from Danny Harriman:

"The fact remains that u found John a $2,000 free money appearence fee a few yrs back and John turned it down. Then had the adacity to make it known to the public on this forum was a mistake from your end I think sir. It was unprofessional from your end and in my view was nothing but an insult to me as there was never any offer to me. My best offer is $3,500.00 + all expenses paid, I have to prepare for this and that involves me relocating to do so. Just to let u know had u not made that post a couple of yrs ago I would have played for less. I am not as proud as u might think - but I hope your able to raise the $3500.00 for me and what ever millionaire u have found for John's appearence fee can stay between u and John." ...

...As for my answer to Danny Harriman regarding paying him $3500 + Expenses I simply reply: No.

My thoughts are that TAR could offer an appearance fee larger than the $1,000 min + expenses free roll if you & John bet your own to make this happen. But to ask for a large appearance fee on top of of TAR putting up all the money ($6k guarantee/$5k to winner) is double dipping them to the point they would have no chance of breaking even. I view these as two different things. TAR's offer to John fr the $2k (& would have been you too if accepted) was when you guys were betting your own.

Dave

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Benjamin Franklin urged people to improve themselves and watch their passions, even if giving into a passion would inspire creativity.

A quote from Benjamin Franklin is this: "Fish and visitors stink after 3 days, and even he who sits on the highest thrown sits on his own ass."

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Benjamin Franklin urged people to improve themselves and watch their passions, even if giving into a passion would inspire creativity.

A quote from Benjamin Franklin is this: "Fish and visitors stink after 3 days, and even he who sits on the highest thrown sits on his own ass."

So if this is to me for my post, I agree I maybe should have not got involved because it's tired & old, but we've been 'smelling' this thread for 3 weeks. :smile:.

...and Danny mentioned in his last post that the $3500 # was not accurate brought up by "haters". I just didn't think that was the complete truth so I looked back to find its origin.

Dave

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if this is to me for my post, I agree I maybe should have not got involved because it's tired & old, but we've been 'smelling' this thread for 3 weeks. :smile:.

...and Danny mentioned in his last post that the $3500 # was not accurate brought up by "haters". I just didn't think that was the complete truth so I looked back to find its origin.

Dave

It was not intended for you. It was, however, a contribution to a worn-out thread. It was my effort to provide a little food for thought to all.

Nobody is above another. We are all members of God's human family. Danny should be entitled to make his own choices without having them analyzed and/or scrutinized by the membership of this forum.

One thing for sure, anything one puts in writing in the form of a personal communication such as a PM or an e-mail should be thought about twice, I guess, with the understanding that it may be published thereafter.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
POST # 555 trust me it's the nuts! I read it at 3:30 in the morning and burst out laughing.

PS. It's the last post on page 37 ENJOY!

Sorry, but wasn't that funny. You may have been under the influence of something based on the time that you read it..

LOL

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member

See grease, get in grease. Is it really that simple??? Yes, yes it is......

Knuckles son, knuckles.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
See grease, get in grease. Is it really that simple??? Yes, yes it is......

Knuckles son, knuckles.

Saw, I'm gonna take this private with Oscar and Dennis. Looks like this match may well come off. I'll let the other folks on here chatter away about nothing.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
You've gotta love guys like Oscar, Bartram, Henny and SVB..... They're not scared to play anyone (including fillipinos), will bet high and bet their own, and match up like business men/true professionals. Maybe others in the pro ranks should observe that and take notes.....

Think any of them care about or are looking for an appearance fee to do their job? No, their appearance fee is on the light where its supposed to be.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've gotta love guys like Oscar, Bartram, Henny and SVB..... They're not scared to play anyone (including fillipinos), will bet high and bet their own, and match up like business men/true professionals. Maybe others in the pro ranks should observe that and take notes.....

Think any of them care about or are looking for an appearance fee to do their job? No, their appearance fee is on the light where its supposed to be.

Interesting that the common denominator of the names you mention is youth.

It will be interesting to learn how they will feel about "playing anyone (including Filipinos)" or maybe even playing pool in general when they hit the big five-oh! :p

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Interesting that the common denominator of the names you mention is youth.

It will be interesting to learn how they will feel about "playing anyone (including Filipinos)" or maybe even playing pool in general when they hit the big five-oh! :p

Youth, yes. But they just have a no BS aproach to matching up that is rather "old school". They don't need to be coddled and have someone reading them poetry to make a game.

When they hit the big five-oh I don't think any of them will have many regrets.... A couple of them are mid 30's and the other two are well past puberty, so I think they're well aware of the path they are on.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Youth, yes. But they just have a no BS aproach to matching up that is rather "old school". They don't need to be coddled and have someone reading them poetry to make a game.

When they hit the big five-oh I don't think any of them will have many regrets.... A couple of them are mid 30's and the other two are well past puberty, so I think they're well aware of the path they are on.

I know a few old-school players who match up with no BS, but most of the time, the pre-game barkfest matching up sides seems to take longer than the actual game. :embarrassed2:

I have often seen Grady Mathews step up the plate with no fear. Same with Jose Parica. They don't care who they're playing. It seems like they *know* what time of day it is, already know what the *right* game is, and step up to the plate when asked to do so. :smile:

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I'm probably the worst player on this board, but I've never understood why anyone would be "scared" to play anyone else.

If you feel as tho you can beat someone.....and you want to play the game.....then play the game.

If you feel you can't beat someone, then just say so. I've never had too much pride to not be able to say, "We can play, but you're better than me. I'll give you the best game I have. Good luck."

As an aside, I played my first ever career session with someone giving me weight last week. It was only because he really wanted to make it fair. So, I took the weight. It was fun and competitive, as the weight I took ended up being just right.

But, I honestly didn't like how I felt afterwards. I've always enjoyed just playing people straight up.

However, when big money is on the line, I do see the point.

But, going back to my original thought.....why is anyone "scared" to play another player?

This is pool. We're all having fun, right? Right?