8 foot tables, what's the point of them?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In theory, an 8 footer is a good compromize if you can't fit in a 9 footer, almost as big as a 9, more room than a 7 so you can play shape almost like on a 9 and can practice longer shots.

But, no tournament I have seen nor most poolrooms have 8 foot tables.

So what's the point of having an 8 foot table in the house of a serious player? If one just plays at home and does not play in tournaments or league, or is happy to make 2 balls in a turn, sure an 8 footer is just fine. But for anyone that wants to compete and improve, I don't think so.

You are either on 7 or 9 footers 99% of the time, playing on an 8 footer at home is the worst thing you can do. I may be able to squeze in an 8 footer in the space I have, but I don't think that's a good idea and going with a 7 footer is the better option.

Am I off base here or does this make sense?

Wileydog

Banned
They have 6 pockets just like the 7 and 9. I don't see a problem with them or see how they could mess up anyone's game.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have 6 pockets just like the 7 and 9. I don't see a problem with them or see how they could mess up anyone's game.

I'm thinking of position play. If you are on an 8 footer most of the time playing at home, you'll be over hitting on a 7 footer and underhitting on a 9. While the same thing will be an issue with a 7' table, it is at least a standard size that many places use. There is a place near me that has both 9 and 7 footers, but they have many tournaments on the 7s.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think of it as a half-step away from either of the tables you might play on. I don't think you can go wrong practicing as long as cloth and rail condition aren't totally different than what you compete on.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I grew up playing on an 8 footer because that's what my parents could afford and what could fit in our basement. Personally I've never been a big fan of bar boxes even if leagues and tournaments are played on them. I don't really care for how they look either. I knew we couldn't fit a 9 ft in the space, and there were a lot of 8 ft tables on the used market. Now that I've moved out on my own and don't have a table I spend most of my time on the 9 ft tables at the pool room. I have 0 trouble adjusting to the bar boxes for league.

jamesjr1963

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes sense to me that an amateur plays on a 7' and a pro plays on a 9', why wouldn't a pro-am be played on an 8'?

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an oversized 8', 9' won't fit. Most of my play is on 9' with some league
play on 7'. I really don't mind going up or down from the 8' and it sure is better
than no table.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
It's pretty simple. If the space won't accommodate a 9-footer, then put in an 8-footer.

You could put in a BB but I like how games play on an 8 rather than a BB (14.1, one-pocket, etc)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm thinking of position play. If you are on an 8 footer most of the time playing at home, you'll be over hitting on a 7 footer and underhitting on a 9.

IMO, the speed of the cloth and the action of the rails is a much larger factor than a foot of table (1' up or down).

Maniac

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
When I went to buy the table that I originally planned on owning (a 7ft black wolf brunswick) I got a call about a used 8 ft olhausen in pristine condition. at 1/3 of the price of the brunswick. So I bought the olhausen. It's a great table and I really like it but I have often wished I had bought the 7 footer mainly because that is what all the tournaments are played on in my area.

If I had my way I would have a nice 9ft GC 3, but I don't have the room. Every so often I threaten to sell my table and get a bar box, but I just can't seem to do it.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking of position play. If you are on an 8 footer most of the time playing at home, you'll be over hitting on a 7 footer and underhitting on a 9. While the same thing will be an issue with a 7' table, it is at least a standard size that many places use. There is a place near me that has both 9 and 7 footers, but they have many tournaments on the 7s.

A good player can adjust from a 7' to a 9', so why would adjusting from an 8' to a 7' or 9' be a problem? Also, all tables play differently and need to be adjusted to anyways........

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
If you play the game of pool extensively, you will shoot on a variety of tables. Some will differ in size, all will differ in the combination of the type of cloth and its current wear condition, all will slightly differ in the rebound-ness of the cushions. Some will not be level. The RH inside the room will change over time and from day to day. The list goes on and on. The number of combinations of table conditions is mind-boggling.

Being a true player is a measure of how you and your game adjust to the "equipment" on that day.

Do you bemoan the congestion of a 7-footer?... or the wide-open spaces and long shots on a 9-footer?... or the tight pockets and boing-y custions of a Red Label Diamond?... or do you just play and focus your attention on adjusting your game to the "equipment" that you are playing on?

I suggest the latter, which will definitely benefit you in the long run over the former.

ND Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a great player, but a great player adapts to every table to some extent. If you haven't got the touch to transition from 9 to 7 or 8 then you have a bigger problem. That would be like saying why aren't all golf courses exactly the same length? Every shot regardless of the table has it's own character and requirements for success. The size shape and speed of the table has little to do with it, it's about adapting the best players do it very well.

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up on mostly 8's and never had an issue adjusting up or down when I played any other table . I try to aim, think ahead, and pay attention to any equipment change. But I know players whom I respect that have issue going from a 9' Brunswick to a 9' diamond. So maybe I'm missing something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wileydog

Banned

I think a lot of that is the differences with practice is the cloth. I practice on an 8 with fast cloth but play on 7s with slow cloth. It's the cloth speed that takes a while fore me to adjust to.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I see a lot of talk about great players adjusting to different size tables. Funny, when the money is on the line most great players will refuse to play on anything but what they are most comfortable with. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a match fall through because one player wanted the bar box and the other player refused to play on anything but a 9 footer.

Some will play on whatever and some wont, I don't think that is a fair judge of their skill, only of their preference.