Matlock vs Keith

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think DH and SD would have been around 16-17 and Jimmy Wales would have been like 14. Shannon and Dennis could play on anything but Jimmy seemed to play a good deal better on the little table from what I saw.

Actually, I carried Jimmy on the road at 15 and he played much better on the big table. He got beat from players on the barbox he could give the 8 to on a big table. He beat players like Harold Dollar even at 15 on a big table in Sanford. He gave Earl Kellum the 8 and beat him on a big table when he had just turned 15. I quit playing around 90 or 91 and lost track of all the players and heard things didn't go well for Jimmy. I can tell you, I never seen anyone shoot as straight as that kid did.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
on the "small track" .....

In the late 80's and early 90's I saw a lot of bar table matches in Atlanta.
At the time Johnny, Keith, David or Buddy seemed to me like a coin toss on who would win if they played. Another player that very few wanted to play on a bar table at the time was Joe Lawrence. When Joe was on I heard other players say he was like a machine. When he was in gear with strange his little wrist stroke it seemed like he would never miss. His break was not as good as some of the others and that seemed like the only chance someone would get to shoot is when he came up dry on the break.

Joe Lawerence was a really good player, we played several times on the "small track" .....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In 1987 he won the Steve Gumphry Memorial, in 88 he won the Paul Huebler Cup, and he won the Ohio open and Georgia open. I remember it well since it was me he beat in the finals. In 89 he won many tournaments on the Baxter tour with many top players playing in them. I think he was already ranked in the top 10 in 1989 or 90. So, yes his best pool was in the 90's but he had already won many tournaments before the 90's was my point.

I stand corrected. I was referring to major events with all the top players. He finished second like five or six times before he won a big one.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Speaking of Paul Turner, I once heard that Paul ran 20 plus racks of 9 ball on Don Ballard one night . He was defiantly a beast on a bar table!

Paul Turner came to our house for a mini-party get together after a tournament in Athens one time about 10-12 years ago. Shannon Daulton, Tony Watson, Stevie, and I'm sure Bruce Berrong were all there along with probably 25-30 other people. Everyone is outside shooting the breeze on the big wraparound porch we had.

Paul had gotten like 5th-6th or 7th-8th in the tourney, good for like $80-$100 or so. Anyway, someone (may have been me, those were hazy days), said "shots of patron inside". Paul turns to his girlfriend, pulls out like $80-$100 in 20's, and says "Hold my roll baby" and heads inside for the shots.

We all lolled. Good Times

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Actually, I carried Jimmy on the road at 15 and he played much better on the big table. He got beat from players on the barbox he could give the 8 to on a big table. He beat players like Harold Dollar even at 15 on a big table in Sanford. He gave Earl Kellum the 8 and beat him on a big table when he had just turned 15. I quit playing around 90 or 91 and lost track of all the players and heard things didn't go well for Jimmy. I can tell you, I never seen anyone shoot as straight as that kid did.

I will defer to you on the big table game. I only saw him play on a big table once and he was "past his prime". I saw him play some in the mid 90's and he did shoot straight as hell. I remember when in about 95 or so he played in the midnight tournament in Nashville and drew Johnny first round I think. He stroked him like 11-2 and surprised everyone there, I think he lost in the finals.

Kid could definitely play.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Lawerence was a really good player, we played several times on the "small track" .....

Funny story about the first time I met Joe. It was me and Earl Kellum on the road and he told me there was some good action in a small town in MS called Ocean Springs. We went in this small joint and Earl got down with this guy, (Joe) and he beat Earl. With that push stoke, I said no way this guy can beat me and I got all the money back and he quit, and said he would play Earl some more and beat Earl again. Well, I got back up and got the money back again, and Joe said I'm through with him but Earl can play for what ever. I asked Joe if he would like to play Earl some on a big table the next day at a pool room in Slidell and he said yea. Well, he robbed Earl the next day, but that was what led us making the big score off of the owner of the room. Joe, ended up staying with me in Birmingham for awhile. The first place I carried him was the Dizzy Rabbit in Florence, Al and we beat a guy for 5000, two 2500 checks. I told Joe I would take 500 for my end and he refused. Well, for the first time in my life gambling, both checks went through like gold.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will defer to you on the big table game. I only saw him play on a big table once and he was "past his prime". I saw him play some in the mid 90's and he did shoot straight as hell. I remember when in about 95 or so he played in the midnight tournament in Nashville and drew Johnny first round I think. He stroked him like 11-2 and surprised everyone there, I think he lost in the finals.

Kid could definitely play.

Ask Shannon about the time I picked him up and carried him on the road for a few days when he was 16 or 17.. I know you are friends, so, he might tell you.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stand corrected. I was referring to major events with all the top players. He finished second like five or six times before he won a big one.

Jay, I regard you as the most knowledgeable pool historian alive, but trust me when I tell you Johnny was already dominating in 89 and 90 with Buddy Hall, Jimmy Reid and many top players playing on the Baxter tour. I have several issue's of The Snap Magazine to prove it. By 1989 everyone knew who Johnny was. He's also a very underrated barbox player. Funny how no one ever mentions Johnny when it comes to barbox playing when he has won more barbox tournaments than I could keep up with. Ask the top barbox players what they would have give Johnny in the 90's on a barbox. I know you know the answer.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I met Joe Lawrence was at the Glass City Open in, I think, 2004. He was there with the Canadian contingency of pool players, all strong players. Joe was feeling no pain, shall I say. :p

In this photo, he's wearing Keith's Orioles shirt. I can't remember why he wanted to borrow a shirt.

We all went to the horse track on the off hours. I hit an extacta my first bet for about six C-notes. Everybody else lost. I had to avoid multiple bites all the way back to the hotel. :D

Me and Joe Lawrence depicted below. :smile:

Attachments

• Joe Lawrence and JAM.jpg
    Joe Lawrence and JAM.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 449

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Why is that not converted and uploaded somewhere for all of us to enjoy :smile:

I have an old video of them playing for the hot seat of a tournament in the 80's. It was the Magnolia Classic in Hattiesburg, MS. Bar table...Dave won hill-hill. Fantastic match.

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
You sure get yourself jammed up in threads a heck of a lot.

Ya really outta stick to collecting cues, because talking about how pool used to be, who played, who bet, who did what isn't your forte.

The guys who have all the cues listed in their signatures usually don't know much about pool, they just buy cues and try to hang around and swing from those who can play a little. You have lots of cues in your sig Ken..........

JAM -

Bobby made the comment "I can tell you this much for sure, any of these players that played Keith in his prime( and they bet their own cash and most of them would'nt) would have got their nuts shot off !"

I know Buddy RARELY played without a backer.

You have made numerous comments including the most recent one of Keith playing Dave for $10K and then only getting $2K for winning. Following with Keith was pretty disappointed in only getting $2K. Making me wonder, why wasnt that discussion had BEFORE the match, I have never heard of not knowing the distribution BEFORE the match is played, but nevertheless.

I dont think I was out of line at all. If you are saying that Keith ALWAYS bet his own, great. If he sometimes bet his own, great. If he was like Buddy and hardly ever bet his own, thats great too.

Bobby says it makes a difference, (I think it does too). But what the hell does Bobby know.

Ken

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is that not converted and uploaded somewhere for all of us to enjoy :smile:

I would like to see it too. :smile:

Woofbiscuit, I think, has it and did in fact send me a copy: Thread about Magnolia Open.

Catpool9 wrote about the Magnolia Open in August 2010: I remember going to Jackson, Mississippi one time back in the very late 80's, it was a 128 player field, around the time "On The Snap Magizine" first came out.

The best bar-table players around were there, and was for the Mississippi State Championship on the bar-tables.

David Matlock, Buddy Hall, a young Johnny Archer, Eugene Browning, Brian Atchley, Keith McCready, Calvin Harcrow, Wade Kellum, Eurmand Bullard, Scotty Townsend," Good Time Charlie Owens", Wade Crane, Louie Roberts, San-Seabastian, Danny Medina, Jimmy King, a young John Brumback, Jeff Carter, Reed Pearce, Jimmy Reid, Jim Rempie, David Howard, Floyd Baxter, you know, just everyone that played back then.

Well David Matlock won, I really can't remember who got second, either Eugene Browning or Brian Atchley, I think. David Matlock ran many racks over and over several times, I do remember that, David played some awesome pool!

The 1st place trophy was a large piece of cut out wood in the shape of Mississippi, very beautiful!, it was as large as the bed of a bar-table, the largest trophy I ever seen!

Was lots of Action at that tournament, for sure, the following weekend everybody went to Vicksburg,Mississippi, for another round!

I have an old videotape that I was trying to dub, and it broke in the VCR machine. It is a pool tournament in Atlantic City with Mike Sigel, Jimmy Reid, Keith McCready, and a few others. The person who made it put 5 hours of pool, tennis, and movies on it, and it's all chopped up. It was hard to fast-forward, rewind, et cetera, and find the *exact* spots for the pool portions.

I may take the VHS tape apart and see if I can tape it together and try one more time. It's vintgae pool. While I am at it, I will see if I can find this Magnolia Open and figure out a way to put it up on YouTube. I have so much stuff in my pool library, and I need to organize it better. I can't find anything anymore.

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Don't open it up Jam, there are plenty of places that can repair that, and convert it for ya. I have a splicing kit from my movie days, but if it's doing other things, it may need a full overhaul and be moved into a new housing.

I'd love a copy of that and would gladly pay for the costs towards repairing it.

I would like to see it too. :smile:

Woofbiscuit, I think, has it and did in fact send me a copy: Thread about Magnolia Open.

Catpool9 wrote about the Magnolia Open in August 2010: I remember going to Jackson, Mississippi one time back in the very late 80's, it was a 128 player field, around the time "On The Snap Magizine" first came out.

The best bar-table players around were there, and was for the Mississippi State Championship on the bar-tables.

David Matlock, Buddy Hall, a young Johnny Archer, Eugene Browning, Brian Atchley, Keith McCready, Calvin Harcrow, Wade Kellum, Eurmand Bullard, Scotty Townsend," Good Time Charlie Owens", Wade Crane, Louie Roberts, San-Seabastian, Danny Medina, Jimmy King, a young John Brumback, Jeff Carter, Reed Pearce, Jimmy Reid, Jim Rempie, David Howard, Floyd Baxter, you know, just everyone that played back then.

Well David Matlock won, I really can't remember who got second, either Eugene Browning or Brian Atchley, I think. David Matlock ran many racks over and over several times, I do remember that, David played some awesome pool!

The 1st place trophy was a large piece of cut out wood in the shape of Mississippi, very beautiful!, it was as large as the bed of a bar-table, the largest trophy I ever seen!

Was lots of Action at that tournament, for sure, the following weekend everybody went to Vicksburg,Mississippi, for another round!

I have an old videotape that I was trying to dub, and it broke in the VCR machine. It is a pool tournament in Atlantic City with Mike Sigel, Jimmy Reid, Keith McCready, and a few others. The person who made it put 5 hours of pool, tennis, and movies on it, and it's all chopped up. It was hard to fast-forward, rewind, et cetera, and find the *exact* spots for the pool portions.

I may take the VHS tape apart and see if I can tape it together and try one more time. It's vintgae pool. While I am at it, I will see if I can find this Magnolia Open and figure out a way to put it up on YouTube. I have so much stuff in my pool library, and I need to organize it better. I can't find anything anymore.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't open it up Jam, there are plenty of places that can repair that, and convert it for ya. I have a splicing kit from my movie days, but if it's doing other things, it may need a full overhaul and be moved into a new housing.

I'd love a copy of that and would gladly pay for the costs towards repairing it.

I will do that. I think you are right. I have taken audio cassette tapes apart with broken ribbons and taped them back again, but the VHS tape may be a little too complicated.

Well, I am still looknig for this Magnolia Open with Matlock vs. McCready in the finals. I haven't located it yet, but I did find a 1982 match with Keith vs. Jay Swanson. The quality is not good, though.

I have one video I would love to find of Earl vs. Keith in a Joss Season Finale in Rochester, NY that went hill-hill. It was a nail-biter. :eek:

I have a Brunswick World Open with Keith vs. Reyes at Caesars in Vegas. This is the way pool used to be played, with the pool players all dressed up. :cool:

Keith is dancing around the table, talking smack. Both Keith and Efren are dressed up in tuxedo shirts and pants. Efren is smoking cigarettes tableside. Keith was en route to win, and some guy snaps a picture with a flash that spooked him. The quality is not good. Keith talks to the balls. Johnny Archer, Jim Rempe, and Dan Louie are sitting on the rail in they audience. You can really see what a side-armed player Keith is in this match. Keith wins the match after announcing he's going to shoot the game-winning ball left-handed. Sheesh! He does and wins, 9 to 8, in this quarter final. :p

Next match is Keith vs. Earl. In the middle of the match, when the score is 8 to 6, Earl winning, Keith says, "I wish it was 7 instead of 8," and Earl gives him the Earl glare. Steve Mitzerak is commentating. Keith scratches on the break, Earl, who is on the hill, starts talking ot himself, and he ends up running out for the win, 9-7. At the end, they had an interview with Steve Mitzerak and Keith and Earl.

Then there's a match with Alex vs. Keith on the big box. They were using the Sardo rack. I can't figure out where this was taken. It might be Glass City Open, or it might be Dery City Classic when it was in Louisville at Executive West. Very first game, Alex makes the 9 on the break. :D

I'm still on the hunt for the Magnolia Open. I have a feeling I'm going to be watching a lot of vintage pool today. :embarrassed2:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found it! :smile:

It is only 21 minutes. It's not the best quality, and there's a low hum in the audio, but you can see it fine. This was shot from the rail, not a professional video, and it doesn't show the entire match. However, you can still see both players hitting 'em. :cool:

Now I have to figure out how to load it up on YouTube. :embarrassed2:

BTW, when Keith was providing instructional pool articles for InsidePOOL, he wrote an article about this finals match entitled "Matlock the Knife" in the March 2006 edition. This article was about the "Knife Shot." :D

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have mentioned many times that I would LOVE to see Keith McCready and Dave Matlock on TAR.

While I didn't get a direct answer, but comments that they didn't think it would be a big enough draw that would make financial sense.

IMO, Keith McCready is the biggest potential draw for any match.

This Keith vs Dave barbox controversy has been brought up many times.

I don't know if Keith or Dave would be interested as they are both well past their primes, and it has been said by JAM that they are friends.

I know if it would happen I would purchase it.

Ken

Me too.

That's one that I would FOR SURE purchase as well :)

Ditto.

On the gaffe table, yes, that's true.

But how about in Lexington when Keith beat Dave in a 10-ahead set for 10-dimes in 50 minutes?

Tea for two, and two for tea. Tit for tat, and tat for tit.

We want to know more about the table.

Well, I woke up today, and the first thing I read was David Matlock versus Keith McCready. Whoever that guy is continuing to drag my name in posts with David must be a pretty good friend of David's, but he doesn't know all the facts or have all the facts.

Just for your information, first of all, I have all the respect for David. I would never say anything to hurt his feelings or rag on his game -- in other words, take it in the mud.

For you to say I couldn't beat David and never did beat David is absurd. The last time me and David played, it was a 10-ahead set in Richmond, Kentucky, at The Maverick Club. We played a 10-ahead set. It lasted about 50 minutes to an hour, me winning.

Second of all, David's 4-1/2-by-9 play was not nearly as strong as his bar table play. For you to say that I couldn't beat him playing 9-ball on a big table or 10-ball or one-pocket, I just wish that you would have been there when I had some real money and was playing all the time. I would have put you back on your back porch, right where you belong, reading a book.

The time that I did play David in Texas was in Dallas. I was getting staked by Weldon Rogers and Will Willingham. We didn't pick the location. It was in a guy's house with a buzzer. Every time David broke the balls, 3 and 4 balls would fly in, and every time I broke them, I wouldn't make a ball. There was something funny going on. Come to find out later, Sonny Spring, the guy's house that we played at, told me all about the buzzer. I played him after that, was chomping at the bit to play on neutral equipment, and I finally got my chance and I dusted him off. And then we played one more time after that, and that was at The Maverick Club.

There's nothing wrong with being friends with somebody, and I get it. I guess just like the way Bobby is with me, but Bobby knows what time of day it is. He witnessed a lot of my beatings on a lot of people. They shipped bar table players in from all over, and I shipped them, out one by one, busted and broke. I was giving everybody back then the 7-ball and the 8-ball. With the big cueball, they wouldn't play me. They had to go to the little cueball on the bar tables to even have a chance.

Back in the '70s, there was a Mexican by the name of Canella, who everybody said was the best bar table player in Mexico. I never really got to see how good he was because he never shot. I beat him two sets so fast, 10-aheads, that it would make you swim. He didn't ask me for weight because he didn't want to lose getting weight. Pride, I guess.

I was playing Morro Paez, giving him the 7 on a 4-by-8 with a big cueball, Ernesto Dominguez the 7-ball. This was all on a bar table with a big cueball, and they had to switch the big cueball to the little cueball. There used to be a bar called Nutty Nero's. That's where everybody would come after hours and play for days. They all checked up short. Kim Davenport, I was giving him the 7-ball on a big table. I would win some, lose some. We had some pretty good battles ourselves. None of these players would ever play me even.

I sort of wish that we could go back in time, but we can't. I'm 57 now, just about, not in combat like I used to be. But if you think in your right mind that I was afraid of David playing on any table, you're crazy. I've seen this Clint guy rambling on, on this website, trying to belittle me or put me down, and I don't know why.

I won't post any more about this. I consider David my friend, not my enemy. I hope David is doing well, and I know he is.

Just as an FYI, the three toughest players I ever played on a bar table were Boston Joey and Vernon Elliott and David Matlock -- in that order. ;)

Thank you Keith. It's always nice to hear the stories directly from the players. I am glad I got to play you a little. You are definitely one of the best entertainers in pool as well as obviously one of the best players to ever wield a cue.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay. This video I have is a file folder in my E drive with two different .VOB files and a bunch of other files. Sheesh! How confusing!

I went on Youtube to see how to upload, and I watched a video that said you can only upload 10 minutes. The first VOB file is about 18 minutes. The second VOB file is 2 minutes, but I have to convert these VOB-formatted files into something compatible with YouTube.

I used something called PRISM to convert them to WMV files.

Now I'm going to try to figure out how to get them on YouTube. Stand by! :grin-square:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I managed to convert and upload the first of two VOB files from the DVD of the "Magnolia Classic" which was held at the Lakeview Complex in Hattiesburg. The video is shakey, and YouTube gave me a prompt while I was uploading tell me the video was shakey and asking me if I want YouTube to fix it, so I said yes. :embarrassed2:

I'm not sure how long it is going to take to finish being processed. The upload is finished. I keep checking back, and it says "The Video is Being Processed." Sheesh!

I wonder if it will look a wee bit better than the DVD did. Remember that this was shot from the rail, and it is not a professionally produced video, but it beats a blank. :smile:

Whenever it gets finished "processing," here is the link ---> Matlock v. McCready in Magnolia Classic.

This is the first time I've ever done this, upload a video on YouTube. I'm kind of excited to see it. :grin-square:

I love the beginning of the InsidePOOL article, which lays the foundation for this event:

The South has always been one of the best locales for ppol competition, and so often I would burn up the roads between New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mobile, Alabama, looking for a little action. Word came to me about a big shootout deep in the heart of Mississippi, and as always, I was eager to discover what the buzz was all about. Pool players from around the country swarmed into the City of Hattiesburg like honeybees to compete in the first annual Magnolia Classic.

Upon entering the Lakeside Complex, I was welcomed by the fragrant scent of Louisiana boiled seafood, Southern-style Po' Boys, and hickory-smoked delicacies. Folks clustered around to enjoy the good old Southern hospitality, and soon the player roster grew to 118 strong, consisting of the toughest 9-ball contenders at the time....

Okay, so that sets the mood for the match. :grin-square:

OMG, I just checked it while writing this post, and I can hear it, but there's no video. :frown:

Maybe it will magically appear soon. :embarrassed2: