Matlock vs Keith

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey one last thing. Keith would damn sure bet his own money, every last bit of it! Whoever started that rumor doesn't have a clue.

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
Is no one going to tell us what a buzzer is?

I would say the buzzer is probably something to do with magnets ?!?!?!?

Keith said David would make 3-4 balls on the break and he (Keith) would make nothing.

This is a back room gaff/hustle especially on some back room crap tables, some are so strong you can watch the dice change directions after they stop rolling.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.it's a TEN times better game....just ask Keith, Buddy, OR Matlock.

I'd watch if it was the old 9 ball push out. Johnnyt

Yes, "One Foul" is a silly game on the BarBox. We ALL played "Two Shot Shoot Out" on the Bar Rag.....it's a TEN times better game....just ask Keith, Buddy, OR Matlock.

Rusty C

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say the buzzer is probably something to do with magnets ?!?!?!?

Keith said David would make 3-4 balls on the break and he (Keith) would make nothing.

This is a back room gaff/hustle especially on some back room crap tables, some are so strong you can watch the dice change directions after they stop rolling.

Yea Keiths crazy about a juiced table,that never happened.It would be like a Three Stooges comedy,where a ball would make a circle in the middle of the table,then zoom into the pocket.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey one last thing. Keith would damn sure bet his own money, every last bit of it! Whoever started that rumor doesn't have a clue.

That wasn't what I said.

Are you implying that Keith was never staked? Come on Jay, we both know better than that.

Bobby Cotton said that Keith would shoot the nuts off any player betting his own against Keith. I questioned him and said was he saying that Keith always bet his own?

Of course I knew the answer.

Ken

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
a big brother ........

Yeah CJ you had someone breaking for you. That's like bringing your big brother to a fight. Do it yourself or not at all. Keith & Jam, Rusty C and I can put Matlock in the box right now to settle all this. Keith you and David are about the same age. Let's stop the woofin.

I don't have a big brother ........

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a bar table but this is the finesse of Keith. Who today plays like he does in this video?

No one.

Alex is the only one I could think of comparing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqC5MmKVNg

That's a good example of what Keith looks like when he's dancing around the table. Interestingly, when he played Alex at the '03 Open, he was dancing just like that. It was a fun match. :cool:

There aren't too many videos or photos of Keith when he was in his prime, but I always kind of enjoyed watching this excerpt. It's Keith vs. Ismael Paez, with Buddy Hall commentating. It went down to the double hill. :embarrassed2:

Keith looks disheveled, as if he'd been up all night gambling. I know that look. :D

At counter 06:40, Keith gets snookered. Folks thought he made a luck shot, but Keith remembers it vividly and said he was definitely going for the side.

He was a mess in this tournament, and it wasn't pretty, but it was a snippet of Keith the tournament soldier and why he's a fan favorite on the TV tables. ---> HERE

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until Keith gave him the cure! Keith spotted all the Mexican champions the eight ball on a bar table and robbed every one of them. I watched it with my own eyes (and my wallet :)). The eight ball meant nothing the way Keith played. His first nickname in L.A. was given him by the great Mario. He called Keith "El Diablo," the Devil!

Yjy o pmr truh Jr fpr mpy ;olr yp ya;l abouy either. He told me not so long ago he thought Keith was the best ever n the bar box/ JPe does not pass out many flowers either.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yjy o pmr truh Jr fpr mpy ;olr yp ya;l abouy either. He told me not so long ago he thought Keith was the best ever n the bar box/ JPe does not pass out many flowers either.

are you from outer space?
skep.gif

1 Lone Wolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah CJ you had someone breaking for you. That's like bringing your big brother to a fight. Do it yourself or not at all. Keith & Jam, Rusty C and I can put Matlock in the box right now to settle all this. Keith you and David are about the same age. Let's stop the woofin.

Now that's what im talkin about !!

1 Lone Wolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who seems to think that David Matlock cant play 1 pocket or any game on a 9' table ????? Hell , David may be talked into playing 3 cushion also !

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
David had the all around won at the DCC the last year (or the year before the last year) at the Executive West until he was cheated out of it.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That wasn't what I said.

Are you implying that Keith was never staked? Come on Jay, we both know better than that.

Bobby Cotton said that Keith would shoot the nuts off any player betting his own against Keith. I questioned him and said was he saying that Keith always bet his own?

Of course I knew the answer.

Ken

Look Ken, I staked Keith more than once. That's not the point I was making. Keith would pump his own money in there in a heartbeat. In fact, if he was holding he wouldn't bother to look for a backer. Do you get my point now? Keith was NEVER afraid to put his own money in action. It was all just ammo to him anyway! :smile:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Johnny Doyle: Bet twenty thousand!

[the poolhall falls silent]

Johnny Doyle: Oh, did I stutter? Everybody gone all quiet and shit? About a minute ago it was like an evening at the Apollo up in this mother****er, now all of a sudden it's quiet as a church. That's all right, Chico, I don't blame you. I've been beatin' this Jimmy Walker lookin' mother****er all goddamn night, he can't win.

Chico: You'd better watch your mouth, Johnny!

Johnny Doyle: You watch my mouth, Chico. 'Cause you sure as hell don't wanna watch me play pool. Unless, of course, I'm blind folded and hand cuffed with a pool cue stickin' out of my ass. Or maybe you'd bet the twenty thousand then?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 454

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a good example of what Keith looks like when he's dancing around the table. Interestingly, when he played Alex at the '03 Open, he was dancing just like that. It was a fun match. :cool:

There aren't too many videos or photos of Keith when he was in his prime, but I always kind of enjoyed watching this excerpt. It's Keith vs. Ismael Paez, with Buddy Hall commentating. It went down to the double hill. :embarrassed2:

Keith looks disheveled, as if he'd been up all night gambling. I know that look. :D

At counter 06:40, Keith gets snookered. Folks thought he made a luck shot, but Keith remembers it vividly and said he was definitely going for the side.

He was a mess in this tournament, and it wasn't pretty, but it was a snippet of Keith the tournament soldier and why he's a fan favorite on the TV tables. ---> HERE

Keith had that little waltz around the table, like he was just having fun. He was a pool savant! When his mixture was right, NO ONE had to like it. He was scary good! ALL the other players hoped that this was not one of Keith's good days when they played him. Keith drove me crazy sometimes, but he left me with a lot of good memories. I won and lost with Keith, but it was always entertaining, except when it was frustrating. :rolleyes:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the late 80's and early 90's I saw a lot of bar table matches in Atlanta.
At the time Johnny, Keith, David or Buddy seemed to me like a coin toss on who would win if they played. Another player that very few wanted to play on a bar table at the time was Joe Lawrence. When Joe was on I heard other players say he was like a machine. When he was in gear with his strange little wrist stroke it seemed like he would never miss. His break was not as good as some of the others and that seemed like the only chance someone would get to shoot is when he came up dry on the break.

Last edited:

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's correct! Johnny started winning everything in the 90's, not before.

In 1987 he won the Steve Gumphry Memorial, in 88 he won the Paul Huebler Cup, and he won the Ohio open and Georgia open. I remember it well since it was me he beat in the finals. In 89 he won many tournaments on the Baxter tour with many top players playing in them. I think he was already ranked in the top 10 in 1989 or 90. So, yes his best pool was in the 90's but he had already won many tournaments before the 90's was my point.