TAR Offer To John Schmidt and Danny Harriman

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not gonna lie.... With this being pretty much their first official act it's gonna start polarizing opinions before they even have a shot at getting started......

Chris

I fully understand why it would to some. But, just keep in mind that they are trying to do POSITIVE things for pool. The way the sharks are circling, this match wouldn't do anything for the players but put a few dollars in their pockets, and do a lot to hurt the image they are trying to convey on what pool can and should be.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand it.

John getting beat would give Str8 shots, damaged goods.

The safe thing to do is for John not to play then they could say he didn't get beat. ;)

I mean with the quote below you can see what class of folks they are getting....

again some pros r smart and some r ignorant. no biggie i luv ignorant players they r easy to beat.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I fully understand why it would to some. But, just keep in mind that they are trying to do POSITIVE things for pool. The way the sharks are circling, this match wouldn't do anything for the players but put a few dollars in their pockets, and do a lot to hurt the image they are trying to convey on what pool can and should be.

Treat them like puppets.... I am furious . I need to put this phone down before I get myself banned. You can bet your ass I will advertise for them.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Justin asked to bar tend the event but he also wanted me to wear one of those Oktoberfest outfits so I had to decline. My tummy sticks out further than my titties do these days.

Apparently the Boneus Ball girls weren't available.

The only phrase I know in German that is helpful is, Mehr Bier, Bitte!

Anyway, sounds like a good match so hope he can pull this one off.

BTW Justin, did you even ask permission from Chibbs if you could do this?

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin asked to bar tend the event but he also wanted me to wear one of those Oktoberfest outfits so I had to decline. My tummy sticks out further than my titties do these days.

Apparently the Boneus Ball girls weren't available.

The only phrase I know in German that is helpful is, Mehr Bier, Bitte!

Anyway, sounds like a good match so hope he can pull this one off.

BTW Justin, did you even ask permission from Chibbs if you could do this?

More Beer PLEASE!

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Lol @ str8 shots or whatever the hell it's called thinking that one of their players playing in a highly anticipated pool match would be bad for them.

I assume you have a team of monkeys running the marketing department?

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We understand why this match is such a hot topic and why it would be an exceptional PPV event. The reasons that make this match so attractive to those that would buy it, are the very reasons we feel it is not in John’s best interest.

Our opinion is that this match only serves to create additional animosity between these players and that is not what we want for any player; whether they are associated with this company or not.

I have to disagree with your reasoning here.

The reason that this match would be attractive to those who would buy it is that the only people buying it will be POOL PLAYERS who want to watch great POOL. Nobody is buying a pool PPV to watch a soap opera or hear grown men bicker. People would be buying this match to watch high quality billiards. It is up to the players to act like professionals. These are two monster players who have each already won a challenge match against each other and need a tiebreaker!

All you are doing disallowing John to participate is robbing the billiard community of the chance to witness a historic match. Thanks.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe they will let John play me 'Two Shot Shoot Out' 9 Ball.

Lol @ str8 shots or whatever the hell it's called thinking that one of their players playing in a highly anticipated pool match would be bad for them.

Maybe they will let John play me 'Two Shot Shoot Out' 9 Ball.......I'm sure we can get that one streamed here in Dallas or Ft. Worth Texas.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Coming from a sports promotion firm this is about the most counterproductive position one can imagine.

The very existence of a "rivalry" between two great players, or teams, is part of what drives interest and viewership in sports to new heights. Imagine a governing body or management stepping in to prevent a grudge match between Connors and McEnroe, Ali/Frazier, or even the final world series game following a dugout emptying brawl between the Yankees and Red Sox. These things would never happen, it would be though of as being absurd.

This is only a pool match between two world class players who truly dislike each other, so what?, rethink your position and let them settle their professional differences at the table as it should be.

Thank you.

Jim

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow, no match?! what a disservice to the players involved and the pool community.

TAR should've matched up an all-around or a long 10b race between shane and lee van after the u.s open.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe Str8 is where the Bonus Ball Tools went to post-Vegas.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe they will let John play me 'Two Shot Shoot Out' 9 Ball.......I'm sure we can get that one streamed here in Dallas or Ft. Worth Texas.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

Somebody get this match going. I want to see some old school pool.

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody is buying a pool PPV to watch a soap opera or hear grown men bicker. People would be buying this match to watch high quality billiards.

The PPV match between Lou and JB would probably be the one notable exception. ;)

That aside, a lot of sports have very intense rivalries. Pool is no different. Another match-up between Schmidt and Harriman would do a lot to help promote our sport. I hope Str8 Shots reconsiders their decision.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's called Nuclear Pool

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

Somebody get this match going. I want to see some old school pool.

That's what you will see, it's called Nuclear 9 Ball.
nuclear-explosion_0.jpg
:D One Foul is SO BORING compared to letting your stroke out playing Two Shot Shoot Out.....where you MUST run out to win and you MUST make all the hardest shots in the world to taste victory.

click picture

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
...When Mark Cantrill set about putting this match together, he really had no idea that the level of hostility that existed between the two players was so intense. It did not become apparent until late yesterday afternoon. At that time that he contacted us and shared what he had learned....

I don't buy it. Mark has been a regular member here long enough and certainly has his ear to the ground in the pool world to know the history, not to mention he posted several times and in fact was right in the thick of the discussion in this epic 46 page thread from March of last year on the subject of these two matching up:

Open Offer to Danny Harriman and John Schmidt from TAR

And you're trying to tell us you guys had no idea while you were putting your own match together? Sorry, it doesn't pass the smell test.

If you are saying that you are no longer going to attempt to produce a match between these two players because it's not in the best interest of your player given the history, then maybe that might be a different story. But you haven't exactly said that.

Sounds more like you don't want a player you have under contract to play in another production, especially when you have plans for a similar promotion. Personally I think that's fair enough, so why not just tell us that?

I do, however, commend you on compensating John for some loss of income. That is a very nice gesture.

And BTW, kudos to anyone doing something in this game with juniors.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds more like you don't want a player you have under contract to play in another production when you have plans for a similar promotion. Personally I think that's fair enough, but why not just tell us that?.

Green rep for this part.

If you sign a contract with a promoter you can't bypass that promoter. John sounds like he's happy with his arrangement and if he isn't i'm sure he won't re-sign in the future.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Green rep for this part.

If you sign a contract with a promoter you can't bypass that promoter. John sounds like he's happy with his arrangement and if he isn't i'm sure he won't re-sign in the future.

BINGO! Thank you, Lumocolor, for posting what is common sense.

Stra8shots may not be an organization that is attractive to the majority of AzB-ers or TAR viewers, but I think there *is* a place in the industry for a company that wants to sponsor youth, amateurs, aspiring pros, and pros. Their mission is going in a different direction, more in line with the BEF, I think. For example, you're not going to see two BEF players duke it out on a field of tournament blue in an action match anytime soon.:grin-square:

I applaud the efforts of Stra8shots, and I think think they have a place in our industry, as does TAR. I welcome new entrants into this pool world, especially the American pool world, which has been suffering for a long time. I am saddened to think they are getting smashed on AzBilliards because they don't want a member of their stable of players to perform in a one-on-one match that is well-known to be adversarial. Mark Cantrell trying to put together something that he thought would be cool for pool, not realizing the animosity that preexisted between John and Danny.

I'm happy for John Schimdt that he has a sponsor, and I understand the "why" of him not competing in the TAR match while he is a part of the Stra8shots organization.