wow SVB forfeits match vs Alcano

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
If Shane had called the 10 like it was said at the player's meeting had to be done then this situation and this thread wouldn't exist.

This is not on the referee or Alcano, it's 100% on Shane. He is the one person who could have prevented it, with certainty.

Anybody dumb enough to play call-shot rotation games deserves what happens to them anyway.

ONB

Then call me dumb.
I don't see any other way to play any pool game, or 3 C Billiards.
What is dumb to me is when a guy dogs a hanger, the cue ball goes 93 rails and freezes you between a rail and a ball, no way to hit the ball, no way to lock anything up.

He takes ball in hand and play a 4 - 9 combo.
That's freakin dumb

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's sometimes called mentoring.

151784-bill-cosby-as-cliff-huxtable.jpg
When you said, "Chocolate Jell-O Pudding Pop"...

I am trying to understand your post "this is not the referee" ...

Why then is SVB called on that foul and that same ref does not call Busti for the same foul?

I agree SVB is at fault here, but there is plenty of blame to go around. This whole situation questions the whole veracity of the rule.

You want to spread blame around and take the responsibility away from Shane.

If Shane had attended the player's meeting;

If Shane had learned the rules for this tourney;

If Shane had followed those rules;

If Shane had called every 10 ball in every game against every opponent then he could eliminate a biased or incompetent ref from the equation and he could've eliminated his opponent from the equation.

Then this situation would not have occurred and we could go back to talking about the Mosconi cup failure.:smile:

ONB

GDC

GlenC
Silver Member

If Shane had called every 10 ball in every game against every opponent then he could eliminate a biased or incompetent ref from the equation and he could've eliminated his opponent from the equation.

Then this situation would not have occurred and we could go back to talking about the Mosconi cup failure.:smile:

ONB
It is obvious that if Shane would have called the 10, this situation would not be here. And that he is responsible for. But he is not to blame for the behavior of the tournament and the ref. He is not 100% responsible for the ref's failure to abide by the same rules in Busti's match. That behavior is reprehensible. I call blame where blame is deserved.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I'm still not sure that the rules WERE to call all ten ball shots..

ONB

No one has definitively answered what the rules were. We've heard that it was stated that they were playing WPA rules AND we've heard that it was stated that the ten ball must be called.

Here let me spell it out for you...

If the rule was EXPLICITLY stated as being call ALL ten balls, then Shane is at fault for not being aware of that rule by not either asking for a clarification of the rules or for not being at the player's meeting.

So let's go by that assumption then. Did Shane ask an official what rules they were playing and was he told WPA rules???

If so, then it was bad on the part of whoever told him what rules they were playing under.

Let's say he didn't...

It was STILL chickenshit of his opponent to not remind him of that after recognizing that he didn't call it the first time.

Also, it was stupid for the ref to call it after THREE times of not calling it on Shane and then to NOT call it on Busty.

I am NOT, nor have I in this thread taken the onus off of Shane.

He could have called it every time just to be sure there was no question.

I'll tell you one thing though, of all the tourneys I've watched and played in, this is the FIRST one that I've EVER heard of having to call obvious shots...EVER.

Jaden

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
It was a nitty call from Ronnie and thef. That's a call you expect from someone on league night. Johnnyt

tap tap tap.

best post of the thread - except maybe the one about Cosby mentoring with a chocolate jello pudding pop. :eek: :grin:

best,
brian kc <---- may never enjoy jello again...

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
It was a nitty call from Ronnie and thef. That's a call you expect from someone on league night. Johnnyt

agreed...and I have been burnt for the same thing........it feels bad when you make the winning ball and lose

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Blame everybody except Shane. All Shane has to do is say, "coner pocket". Done. Who cares what other players are doing. Concentrate on your match. Play safe by pointing at the pocket.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blame everybody except Shane. All Shane has to do is say, "coner pocket". Done. Who cares what other players are doing. Concentrate on your match. Play safe by pointing at the pocket.

But if he was told that it was WPA rules, he wouldn't even think he would need to do that.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When a player unscrews mid-match it should be an unacceptable behavior and a disqualification from the event would be fine as long as that was part of the rules of the event. I understand a protest but perhaps a better protest would have been directed toward the referee or the other player.

I think it would be easy enough to provide examples of players in other sports, disagreeing with a call and packing up to quit the match as a statement but I don't want to spend my time doing so.

JoeyA

Yes, and every player in any sport walks off the field of play the disgraces their sport. and with the rarest of exception, sanctions are taken against them and they are suspended, with the most famous example being John Daly in golf.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Did you watch the match? He clearly pointed his cue in his second win. He knows the rule.

right. besides, didnt shane notice that Ronnie kept on calling the 10-ball even if the shot was obvious? that should have been a clue or a reminder of a certain rule.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching the Efren vs Rodney match I don't think the referee is the issue. There were a couple times in that match where nothing was called and the referee let it slide.

I believe it was Alcano who complained and forced the referee to make the call. Efren and Rodney aren't the kind of people who would do that.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When there's some decent money to be made in Professional Pool by the players, then is the time to start comparing Pool to what they do in other sports.

Good post. This has long been the Catch-22 of our sport. You have to conduct yourself respectably to expect to get paid well, but most players take the view that they won't do it UNTIL they get paid well.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Good post. This has long been the Catch-22 of our sport. You have to conduct yourself respectably to expect to get paid well, but most players take the view that they won't do it UNTIL they get paid well.

riiiiiiight, because we all know how well NFL players behave. What Shane did is akin to jay walking compared to what the avg criminal NFL loon does every week.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why Alcano would do this after allowing Shane to get away with not calling it earlier in the match. If it bothered him he should have said something the first time Shane didn't call it. Seems a bit strange.