How long does it take to make a cue?

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Seems to be what I going to end up with.

Told six months going to be min.8 maybe more. I think other cues, priority changes as to who's cue gets done first etc.. can largely come into play.

Can't forget if a cue maker turned out several every week (production type )the cost would drop do to flooding the market.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Two man days. Guess I need to speed up my prosesses. Wonder how long it took him to get all those little pieces to where the are now and build the jigs to make all those little pieces! Damn I better get to work!

Larry

those are the COMponents. :)

and the 'two man-days', well, those must be kinda like the distance marker, 'as a crow flies' which never squares with my car rides . :grin:

bill stroud said that for a standard 4 pt veneered cue it should take no more than 8 weeks for a cuemaker to deliver.

of course, it's been years and he still hasn't delivered the dyd cue to his contest winner. :eek:

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Most custom cuemakers should have to get a performance bond so the cue arrives on time or it cost them. Johnnyt

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
well that's a loaded question...

It can take any where from 8-100 working hours depending on the design and complexity of the cue.

Some cue makers insist on insanely long resting periods between turnings for the woods.

I mean if a cue maker wanted to make you a plain jane or had splices etc already done, and they were working on just your cue, a reasonable time frame would be 2-8 weeks.

That's not how it works though, and most cue makers who are worth their salt have a back log so you should expect 3-9 months at a minimum...

Jaden

Gary G

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
woof biscuit custom Q

Woof biscuit if you send me your Scruggs you can
order yourself something new and put your question
to the test . Hope all is well. :thumbup:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let us take a look at the process of making a shaft.
A) you buy the wood, wood arrives
B) you cut it into 1.5" long square dowels
C) you let the dowels dry and relax for 6 months to 2 years
D) you put the dowel on the lathe and turn it round
E) you let the dowel dry and relax for 6 weeks to 2 months
F) you turn the dowel down to but diameter
G) you let the dowel dry and relax for 6 weeks
H) you put the first taper cut on the dowel
I) you let the dowel dry and relax for 2 weeks
J) you put on the second taper cut (0.001 to 0.002 taken off)
K) you let the dowel rest for 2 weeks
L) repeat L and K 3-10 more times; more for special taper requests
etc.

When you make an order, the cue maker probably has 50-100 of these dowels in circulation because he has 50-100 customers in front of you.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be a better question for the "Ask the Cue Maker" section, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic. We always bellyache when we don't get our cue on time, so how long does it really take?

If a cue maker could work 8 hours/day on a cue how long would it take before it's ready for delivery? This is from rough wood to finished product. I understand that cues and makers are all different. For example; how many inlays, if you use a pre-made blank, wrap vs wrapless, etc.

For this example lets say it's a 4 point cue, full splice that the maker builds, wrap, no inlays, and delrin buttcap with bumper. This assumes that the maker has shafts ready for final turning and doesn't have to go through that whole process. What do you think?

Edit: By the way, this is not directed at any cue maker and I don't have a cue being built right now. Just an honest question to satisfy my curiosity.

Its not how many hours of actual working, it`s the drying, aging, gluing etc. that takes time. Some cuemakers start from scratch, some has cues and components in various stages of completion, that can speed things up alot.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
All you experts , and no one has it right.

It totally depends of if you have prepaid for the cue or not.
If the cue is paid in full in advance hell it could be decades .:thumbup:

One month to make the cue, 13 years getting around to making the cue LOL

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Woof biscuit if you send me your Scruggs you can
order yourself something new and put your question
to the test . Hope all is well. :thumbup:

Gary G! We can trade. Things are good here, my friend. Stay in touch.

Lots of interesting answers. Thanks for the input.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
"Most cue makers have a "stock pile" of splices and shafts to work with"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that so?

If you know this much about the process - why did you need to ask the question??

In point of fact, actually building the cue is only part of what we have to do to produce cues.

IMHO - most cuemakers who do it for a living would consider 40 hours a week to be
'on vacation'

YMMV

Dale

Calm down. No need to get sensitive. It was really an honest question. Maybe you don't have parts ready to go but some do. I done seen it!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Pretty good reasons for those "resting periods" between cuts.
JoeyA

It can take any where from 8-100 working hours depending on the design and complexity of the cue.

Some cue makers insist on insanely long resting periods between turnings for the woods.

I mean if a cue maker wanted to make you a plain jane or had splices etc already done, and they were working on just your cue, a reasonable time frame would be 2-8 weeks.

That's not how it works though, and most cue makers who are worth their salt have a back log so you should expect 3-9 months at a minimum...

Jaden

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calm down. No need to get sensitive. It was really an honest question. Maybe you don't have parts ready to go but some do. I done seen it!

I am calm Shirley...

You said MOST - so, exactly how many cuemakers inventories have you seen, personally?

Again - anyone who knows as much about cue making as you are implying you do
wouldn't need somebody else to guess for him.

So what are you really trying to find out?

Dale

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I make cues and have for years. The cues I make are quite different then most. They are not made to shoot pool with but are made to make folks happy, these cues still take me anywhere from six hours (for the simple plain Janes) to twice that long for the fancy models. They are difficult to turn and even though I have gotten good at them they are still a PITA.

I must say I still get a kick out of making them and will until I can't do it anymore.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you mean if you have to build the splice. Thanks for the response. Most cue makers have a "stock pile" of splices and shafts to work with. The only problem is you may not be able to pick out the veneer colors and woods you want. So if you had it all ready to go and you'd done all of your seasoning on the front end, 12 hours is about right?

If I work only 50 hours a week on cues and have 2 weeks a year vacation then there are 2500 hours used and I build 50 cues, it comes to 50 hours per cue on average. Cue making is like every other business, paper work, shipping, cleaning, emails, phones, etc are all part of the business of building cues. A simple answer isn't simple. I do have a large selection of parts ready to go when the cue is ordered, shafts, handles, ferrules, veneers, milled fronts, etc but I had to make all these parts in the years preceding the order, that time has to count too.

Last edited:

asiasdad

Banned
Southwest cue ordered 2.2.2005 was notified last month that they are
just now starting 2004 orders.

Reason ? Back log of orders.

Joel Hercek cue ordered 5.2006 last email I am approximately 3 more years
away from discussing final design.

Reason ? Backlog of orders, backlogged so bad he quit taking orders a
few years ago.

Why the huge backlog of orders ?

Reason....everyone wants the best, and apparently there are enough willing
to pay for that and wait, and wait, and wait.

I have experienced exceptions, and the most notable one was the
Tascarella shop. I was quoted 18-24 months and received it in 11 months.

I had a basic 4 point, 4 veneer design, no time consuming inlays, and who
knows in the present economy perhaps some orders cancelled out which
would surprise me as Pete charges a 25% deposit to weed out the flakes.

I would be concerned if I was told I would get a cue in less than 9 months.

Danny

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
If I work only 50 hours a week on cues and have 2 weeks a year vacation then there are 2500 hours used and I build 50 cues, it comes to 50 hours per cue on average. Cue making is like every other business, paper work, shipping, cleaning, emails, phones, etc are all part of the business of building cues. A simple answer isn't simple. I do have a large selection of parts ready to go when the cue is ordered, shafts, handles, ferrules, veneers, milled fronts, etc but I had to make all these parts in the years preceding the order, that time has to count too.

Thanks for info, Paul. You've actually built a cue for me, and exceeded my expectations. I still have it and played with it earlier this week.

I thought my question was simple but I guess it isn't. I genuinely wanted to know how long it takes to build the cue I described. I have no agenda, honestly. The spliced forearm from scratch seems to be the most time consuming thing.

Veteran68

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be concerned if I was told I would get a cue in less than 9 months.

Steve Lomax quoted me 4-6 months last month when I ordered, starting from Feb 1 when he got back from DCC. Said it could possibly go a little quicker. With his reputation I'm not too concerned. I know with his health he had backed off production for awhile, but now that he's doing a lot better he's ramping up again -- maybe I caught him before he had much of a backlog built up.