2016 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Lol.. I've been single few years now and I have similar experiences..
It was dry month and suddenly there was big party at local bar coming up. Invitation only. I was invited but I had work next day. Suddenly young hot girl from our pool hall came ask if I would come to party with her.. How could I resist. I went there with her and when we were on entrance line another girl called to me if I could go out with her...
Anyways another girl get on same place and I was little bothered.. When I was sitting there my phone rang and it was my Ex...

Sounds like you were playing the 1, got hooked on 2 with 3 hampering your action. :grin:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played today two sets 10-pro Ghost. Lost first 4-7 even I started really strong. Next match I had good start again because my break was on and I made 4 run outs and clearance from fifth dry break. So 5-0 lead.. Some time and game was 6-2 and Ghost started comeback... He came 5-6 but then broke and ran last rack for 7-5.. I played my total A+++ game and that felt good. Got it also on video.

Here is a link to match in YouTube :
https://youtu.be/CuV0KJXio5I

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk me up for a 7-0 win on the 8 Ball Ghost Challenge Ball in Hand version.

I only took BIH on racks 2 and 7 because I scratched on the break. Couple of racks I had to make amazing position and breakout shots.

Now moving on to the 10 Ball BIH Challenge, I'll try to get one posted this week.

Here is the 7-0 Ghost 8 Ball Match. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTCnkKwp89o

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Side pocket that is some top-shelf shooting right there, doesn't get any better than that.

Forget Ghostbusters, if I ever have a ghost problem, I'm calling you!

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Chalk me up for a 7-0 win on the 8 Ball Ghost Challenge Ball in Hand version.

I only took BIH on racks 2 and 7 because I scratched on the break. Couple of racks I had to make amazing position and breakout shots.

Now moving on to the 10 Ball BIH Challenge, I'll try to get one posted this week.

Here is the 7-0 Ghost 8 Ball Match. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTCnkKwp89o

Watched the whole thing. Really nice! :thumbup:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never really paid attention, but how many players here pattern rack in their attempts at the ghost? I don't think there's anything wrong with it when playing the ghost (in competition is a different story lol).

I'm going to try it today using the pattern Biado used in his 17 rack run against the ghost.

I'm a C/B player, so I'm curious to see if it makes a difference.

The goal is to play two sets. One with pattern racking and one without.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never really paid attention, but how many players here pattern rack in their attempts at the ghost? I don't think there's anything wrong with it when playing the ghost (in competition is a different story lol).

I'm going to try it today using the pattern Biado used in his 17 rack run against the ghost.

I never tried it. I was thinking about it last year, but was too lazy to figure out the balls, lol. I had also tried soft breaking with the magic rack (but not pattern), and although the balls were mostly in only one half of the table, I'd routinely end up with a ball frozen to the 9 (I think it was the 9...). So I went back to hitting them pretty hard. I think if you are going to soft break you need to pattern rack to have the best chance of success. But a hard break the pattern does not matter nearly as much. I'm my banger opinion:)

Edit: I'm talking about Corey's original very soft break. When the rules were only 4 object balls must hit a rail. Not the newer soft breaks that have modified requirements of balls going past the side pocket, etc.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Also, I don't think you can tell anything with 2 sets. Try 10 of each over several sessions. And within each session, alternate each set between pattern and non-pattern.

I think we are close in speed, and I know my ghost scores from set to set and day to day will be all over the map. From 0-7 all the way up to the rare winning score. I think at our level the variation is going to be very high, even without pattern vs non-pattern.

I wonder if the A level players here have a very tight variation in their scores? Like a 7-2 on a good set, and a 7-4 on a bad set?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wound up playing 3 sets today.

With pattern racking, I won 7-6. Without it, I lost 5-7 and 6-7.

I'll be posting the 6-7 video once it uploads. Despite losing, it was the best I played.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Beat the 9 ball ghost today 7-4, standard version. 7' Valley table. Combo'd the 9 in 3 times though.
Never played much 9 ball really. Around here about all you ever see anybody play is 8 ball.

Wish I had a video to share but I don't have the equipment. I did recently rig something up to where I can video with my i-phone though. I just don't know what the quality would be like, don't know how to edit it, and have absolutely no idea how to get it from there to here, but I'm going to try to figure it out.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just tried it. Same pattern as Baido. Wow, I won 7-3. Not sure if I was playing exceptionally well, or it really makes that much of a difference. This is the first time I ever pattern racked a set. I think I will alternate back and forth between pattern and random, over the next 10 sets I play. Might take a few weeks, IDK, depending on how often I play. I'll report back with all the scores.

I did:

..4 7
6 9 5
..8 3

Oh, the 7 and 9 tied up on the right side of the table almost the same way 2 of the racks.

Last edited:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st Place MTA Minnesota State Tournament Masters/AA

Just wanted to share......1st Place Masters/AA.....MTA Minnesota State Tournament.

Attachments

• IMG_6459.jpg
    IMG_6459.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 337

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Nice wins, guys! OP updated with latest scores.

Just wanted to share......1st Place Masters/AA.....MTA Minnesota State Tournament.

Congrat on the 1st place, that is awesome! :thumbup:

Do you find playing against the ghost is helpful for preparing for tournaments?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been playing the ghost much in the past few months. I really haven't had the focus for it until now. I played a weekend long tourney a couple of weekends a go and there's nothing better for getting you in stroke and helping you lock in mentally.

I played some 10 ball tonight and won 9-7. Still a few mental letdowns but I'm getting there.

*** Played on a 9' with 4.5" pockets ***

Just purchased some 760 in tourney blue last week. Can't wait to redo this baby!

https://youtu.be/SHqX-6pIlW4

Last edited: