Do the Filipinos give back?

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of them are obviously afforded a relatively nice lifestyle because of the tournaments and action here in the us. And I know pretty much all of us are happy to have them and see their play. Do you feel like they give back to the country that gives to them however? Curious what people have to say either way.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe as far as tournaments go, they are required to take like 30% right off the top of the prize money BEFORE it's paid out to foreigners. Not sure if you're talking about just money or what?

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
I don't think you can fool IRS. I know taxes were already deducted upon handing out the prize money. I heard it from Pacman.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care.

I honestly do not expect them to give the U.S. any thing. Most of them are here to have a better life style by making more money.

I doubt that very many Pinoy's are getting rich playing pool, at least by American standards, there is just not enough money in it.

If we did not have touring Asians and Europeans our American pool scene would not be very exciting.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they sure gave me some enjoyment over the years

if it were not for Efren I would have had no interest in professional pool

Give back is a strange concept

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing I can think of as far as "giving back" would be to help young pool players in some way but that really only makes sense in their own country before a foreign land. Pool players are not in a position to give back financially, thats for sure.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Give back?

Many of them are obviously afforded a relatively nice lifestyle because of the tournaments and action here in the us. And I know pretty much all of us are happy to have them and see their play. Do you feel like they give back to the country that gives to them however? Curious what people have to say either way.

If you mean "give back" in the way of time and money to the sport or people in general in America, I will say this:

If you have ever watched any Filipino play pool, they give back in spades in knowledge, skill and entertainment.
If you're talking about donating money, they will always give to charity and those who are needy. They share food and meals.
They come from humble and meager beginnings, what we'd consider abject poverty.

So YES they give back-
Ask Skyler or Shane or anyone of our guys who has a Filipino player as a friend.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I'm lost on your question, did you loan one of them something, now you're wondering if they'll give it back or something? Why do you feel they should "give back" anything, anymore than any other non-American pool player that comes to play pool in this country?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most grew up dirt poor in some little backwater village. They busted their a^* learning a game to better themselves. They gambled at a young age and then came to U.S when able, often with the help of the Puyat brothers. Other than re-paying the Puyats, who do they need to give back to? If they'd stayed home they wouldn't have the lifestyle the U.S. offered them.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you mean "give back" in the way of time and money to the sport or people in general in America, I will say this:

If you have ever watched any Filipino play pool, they give back in spades in knowledge, skill and entertainment.
If you're talking about donating money, they will always give to charity and those who are needy. They share food and meals.
They come from humble and meager beginnings, what we'd consider abject poverty.

So YES they give back-
Ask Skyler or Shane or anyone of our guys who has a Filipino player as a friend.

:thumbup:

The Philippines is the world's biggest exporter of nice people. Some might say too nice. Why would they need to "give back"?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the u.s. is a country of individuals all out for themselves. that is how it is in general. so giving back something to society is an individual thing.

however our country is now crowded and doesnt need more influx of people so having immigrants pay back might be a good idea.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The Giving Back

Prior to this year I've been to a few events over the years but I hope to be able to go to more but you asked a question, do they give back.

There is youtube that I reference in my book that I cant find anymore that I think has been taken down and it was Efren and some reporter maybe Samm Diep and she says Efren they call you the Magician so tell us how you aim your ball and then he says in his non assuming affable fashion that " I use the edge of the ball to tell me what to do"

What the Filipinos bring to Pool in this country are things just like that. Its a beautiful simplicity and reflection of a time gone by in America when we had Pool Rooms everywhere, just like they now have Pool Rooms everywhere over there. I don't think I've ever seen a one of them that acted out or was un-thankful for anything we dish out over here.

If I had a Pool hero its Efren. I'd love to sit down and buy the guy a meal and just have a chat with him, probably through and interpreter. I'd easily pay just talk to him for a few. Maybe one day I'll offer to do that. I can't think of anyone else I'd do that with so I guess that's what they give back to the game and that's a plenty and all that is required in my book. I've never heard of anyone that's ever asked to speak to them that was ever turned down and I talked to someone recently that has.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given my limited exposure...I believe there are a lotta hands in that cookie jar.

As I recall, the 80s Efren got scrod by his backers

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
What is there to give back?

How many make millions a year?

They are not like pro atheletes in the major sports that make millions a year and are rooted in the city that they play for.

I am sure that the majority could qualify for federal assistance based on their earnings after expenses.

🎱

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course pool players can't give back money.

I mean just off the top of my head I would not expect Filipinos to teach billy Thorpe the inner workings of how to kick or something, although maybe they would. If I was an eighth grade pe teacher, and asked 10 Filipinos to come in for a day to get my kids psyched up on pool, would they jump on it if they had the time? Would they all say no?

I think it's a fair question. I know if I moved to a country that afforded me my lifestyle that I probably could not have without them, and they welcomed me with open arms, I'd be inclined to get involved. But maybe it's hard for them because there just aren't too many areas where they can give back. Maybe some people should start asking perhaps they'd be happy to do it, or already do?

In short, do you feel like they do or would give back, or are they just here to make money and get out? What impression do you get? And why not ask them to if you have an opportunity, maybe they'd be happy to do it.

Last edited:

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol give back. Why don't you ask the professional athletes and actors who make 10000* what the highest paid pool player makes...they rarely give back themselves except for their "genius" messages on twitter or so they think.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Weird question. Do American pool players give back to their country? In the NFL some of the millionaires won't stand for the national anthem.

Did you lose some cash to a Filipino?