What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Would some of the half of you who think pocket C is a smart choice please post a video of yourself getting out on these 4 balls 5 times in a row using that route on a 9 foot table?

Bet I can get one up to pocket E with less takes and I'm not even a strong player. Come on Fatboy show us how it's done and then we can decide whether to raise up the bet or not. (y)
I didnt try bit at the table but it seems like it would be tough to hold the cue ball to play the 7 in pocket C

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Playing for pocket c is imo "playing scared", and gambling on the wrong thing. Forcing long cue ball movement into a smaller pocket, with no guarantee of the correct angle on the next shot. The shot from e has a huge margin of error from the correct position, with a near guarantee of a good angle on the 8 once you touch the second rail. Its tried and tested professional movement patterns. Diagonal movement for the win, straight up and down will get you straight in or on a rail, or both, eventually.

I don't care what anyone says, how good your pocketing is or any of that jazz. If you shoot short side position shots like that, because you're scared of spin or moving the cue ball on a shot like the 6... You may eek out a win in a short race, but you're not winning long races against Fargo 650+. I guarantee it.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a 9’ Diamond, I play for E all day long. On a Diamond bar table, I’ll STILL play for E, but I’d also consider A B or C depending on how I’m feeling or if I think the table is playing goofy at all.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Man, you folks playing shape for the sides are either brave or broke. I use them as escape routes but i rarely play shape on a side pocket.
Bar tables have notoriously wanky sides, but regular tables are much more forgiving. For how I play (not great lol) side pockets can be a real workhorse on the table.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Playing for pocket c is imo "playing scared", and gambling on the wrong thing. Forcing long cue ball movement into a smaller pocket, with no guarantee of the correct angle on the next shot. The shot from e has a huge margin of error from the correct position, with a near guarantee of a good angle on the 8 once you touch the second rail. Its tried and tested professional movement patterns. Diagonal movement for the win, straight up and down will get you straight in or on a rail, or both, eventually.

I don't care what anyone says, how good your pocketing is or any of that jazz. If you shoot short side position shots like that, because you're scared of spin or moving the cue ball on a shot like the 6... You may eek out a win in a short race, but you're not winning long races against Fargo 650+. I guarantee it.
Best post in this thread... "playing scared" is exactly what I thought as well.

The method of diagonal movement is a trade secret...shhh, lol. ...well not really, but it is what makes E the best option. That back and forth play from the 7 to the 8, is what guarentees a good angle to reach the 9.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Best post in this thread... "playing scared" is exactly what I thought as well.

The method of diagonal movement is a trade secret...shhh, lol. ...well not really, but it is what makes E the best option. That back and forth play from the 7 to the 8, is what guarentees a good angle to reach the 9.
I always play scared, if I miss, I'm toast! 😁

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Between those two I'd choose the 1-rail route - there's a small risk of scratching in the side, but a longer path across the shape zone with less (no?) side spin.

pj
chgo

View attachment 603552
Consider this PJ... Although the dimensions of the landing zone say that the single rail shape provides the largest room for error. What it also does is open the window to potentially leaving yourself on the rail. Trying to reach the 8 from anywhere in that landing zone if the CB is on the rail, is dicey at best. The best way to safe guard against that is to play to hit that rail. The 2 rail approach also allows the shooter additional grace if they aren't dialed in to the spd just yet.

Speaking for myself... If I was in this spot, and the table was both fast and unknown to me. My potential error would most likely be falling short on the 7 if going 1 rail.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean? If you get between the 2nd and 3rd Diamond on the side rail you have a nice angle to get to the 8 ball, and an easy enough shot on the 7. Anyone who would consider playing shape for the billiard on the 9 isn’t ready for this conversation.
What I mean is shape on A or C is a lot less problematic. Come up short on E you are snookered. Go too far up table you have the wrong angle. If you are trying to run out - which you should be - A or C are better options.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What I mean is shape on A or C is a lot less problematic. Come up short on E you are snookered. Go too far up table you have the wrong angle. If you are trying to run out - which you should be - A or C are better options.
Personal aptitude aside, but going long or short for either A or C is way easier. Margin of error is relatively small compared to E. Sure you may not be snookered, but that doesn't mean you're not going to have to force something to continue.

Way harder to move a CB an inch or two into a square 2" zone, then to move it a couple of feet into a 1 sqft zone.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the follow up question is with ball in hand where do you play the 7 ?😉

Ball in hand is a different proposition in this case because it equates to perfect position on a pretty tight landing zone. Maybe a realistic expectation for some here, but as someone a bit closer to the speed of the average banger out there, I’m looking at the odds…

Given perfect position. E works best, but miss shape and you’re toast. By comparing the shape zone of E to A, or any other single pocket strikes me as a bit shortsighted. While I’m certainly playing for a specific shape, I’m also looking at the fact that if I miss my shape on, say A, I still have options with B, C, or D. The landing zone for those 4 pockets combined, is a lot more generous than that of E alone…

JC

Coos Cues
Lets get that video up of you running out from A or C consistently then.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what you’re saying, but if you can’t get good on the 7 for E, how do you expect to get on the 8 with a harder shot in the 7?

JC

Coos Cues
Here is the rub.

Anyone with near enough skill to get out consistently from A B C or D also has enough experience to know E is the correct shot.

Which is why no one who voted for those pockets can come with a video of them doing so.

Also even if you slightly cross the line long on the 7 the nine ball is far enough away you can still follow two rails out of the corner you are shooting the 7 in to get back down table for the 8. Making the useable shape zone even larger. Not ideal but not screwed either.