Dime Radius or Nickel Radius?

Dime Radius or Nickel Radius; which do you prefer and why?

• Dime

Votes: 39 44.8%
  • Nickel

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Doesn't matter to me

Votes: 15 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
We have a local friend who is a very good player (777 fargo), and he suggested it. So we gave it a go and it's worked out well for us.
As others have said here, I doubt that it worked out well because of the tip shape - my guess is that changing the shape made you pay a little closer attention to where you're hitting the CB. That's better if true, because then you can continue doing it and improving.

pj
chgo

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have said here, I doubt that it worked out well because of the tip shape - my guess is that changing the shape made you pay a little closer attention to where you're hitting the CB. That's better if true, because then you can continue doing it and improving.

pj
chgo
No, actually your wrong about paying closer attention, we always pay close attention and we are very structured as we train all week, only compete on some weekends.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
No, actually your wrong about paying closer attention, WE always pay close attention and WE are very structured as WE train all week...
I always had the impression you coach and your son plays. How do you know if he takes a mental rep off?
In my own personal experience, I can tell I’m not giving full focus when the cue ball reacts differently than expected. For example, I want to play a shot down the long rail with low and outside, but the cueball comes directly across the table. I might have made the shot , but there’s a difference between ACCURACY and PRECISION. It’s time to buckle down and focus because I’m getting lazy.
I dunno, maybe Jin’s a robot, but I would think that you might run into scenarios where focus can get a little lax.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Why does the penny never get any respect?
And why is the one worth twice as much actually the smaller one?
And I've been scraping my tip with a nickle for an hour and if anything it is actually concave now.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gerryf

And why is the one worth twice as much actually the smaller one?
And I've been scraping my tip with a nickle for an hour and if anything it is actually concave now.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Keep scraping. Eventually it will have a nickel radius curvature. As for convex or concave, it probably doesn't matter.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shape it to a nickel and then I don't touch it other than a tip pick once in a while. Milk duds.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
No, actually your wrong about paying closer attention, we always pay close attention and we are very structured as we train all week, only compete on some weekends.
Spoken like a balanced individual.

If changing your tip didn't make you pay closer attention, then you are doing it wrong

MrKnives

Impact science probably shows that there just needs to be a radius and the difference have little to no efffect on the back. Overall size of the tip should have some effect

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, I skipped over about sixty posts, wouldn't want facts to interfere with my opinion! I played my best pool long ago with tips that were flat in the center with rounded edges. Play with the tip awhile and it will shape to where it needs to be.

Now, when we lay a nickel and a dime side by side we see a pretty major difference in size. However, if you were to start cutting on both, cut down until you are looking at the part that makes contact on one side of a tip, there is only a tiny difference in shape! In truth, the difference between a dime and a nickel radius is much ado about nothing. When I leave my tip alone awhile it settles to something more resembling a quarter radius.

I really think I should go back to the flat center and rounding the sides just a little then let the tip find it's own shape. This may not work with layered tips though, I don't know.

Hu

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
12.25 shafts.
Dime radius.
Looks and feels right to me.

Anybody here remember a "bell tip."
A cue builder around the Philly area, Doc Frye, used to make one where the ferrule was fluted out.
Furrule was smaller at the bottom and larger at the top where it meets the tip.
Some players in the Philly area used to use them in the mid to late 60's.

Was tempted to try that bell shape with the ferrule and tip. Specifically illegal in some rule set years ago when I considered doing it. I don't remember which now though. Some snooker players still put an oversized tip on and beat it to crap letting it mushroom well outside the ferrule, I think getting much the same effect as the bell ferrule and tip.

Hu

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anything larger than 13mm gets a nickel radius and anything under 13mm gets a dime unless the customer asks for something different. At 13mm I usually ask what they like.