EARL STRICKLAND Returns to TEAM USA

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MD played Shane in a TAR match....Shane beat him bad.
He beat lots of people bad

Dechaine easily the second best player in US and don't even play.

Like to see him play Sky, Billy, Bergman with a shot clock!

He's made the right choice and I completely understand why.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The hardest part of any job is not the job itself, the technical skills. It's learning how to deal with the personalities. MD is not a nice person to some people. I don't know why he's like that. Maybe he was bullied as a child.

I was watching Ronnie O'Sullivan yesterday walking out to the TV table. The crowd erupted in loud cheers and chanted his name, "Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie." At the end of his match, he mingled with the railbirds a few minutes, taking selfies and signing autographs. Mark Selby did the same thing. People like public figures who are nice and fun to be around.

If one is to excel in the public spotlight, as pro pool players do, it helps to be nice to others. Nobody wants to read about the back-biting. It happens from time to time with everyone, but when you are in the public, it helps to be more civil and decent to others.

I have a couple friends who are friends with MD, and they say privately he is a nice guy and fun to be around. What a shame MD can't show that side of him to others. Instead, he comes across differently. It's not a good look for him to take potshots at others while he's out of the pool world. I wish him the best in his private job and hope he can get along with the various personalities.

Of course, I'm one to talk. I used to work full-time in-house on the Hill with a crew of professionals in my industry, and now I choose to work alone at home. The only personality I have to get along with is me.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was the Captain of Team USA! I would really shake things up and try to start fresh with new blood (and some young but experienced players). Let me put together a team of hungry and fearless young players and watch what happens. Okay, we start with Shane and Skyler, that's a given. But then, I think I'll take Josh Roberts, Oscar and maybe Chris Robinson. There are two or three others who are just as good waiting in the wings for their chance as well. I want to create a young and hungry team that jells together as one group dedicated to winning these short little races. It can be done! That's the first thing I would tell them! These guys aren't going to dog it. You just watch what happens when I get done with them. I've brought a lot of good players across the finish line (Keith, Bob Hunter, Danny Medina, Ronnie Allen, Rafael Martinez, Kim D., Tang Hoa, Dennis O., John Schmidt, and others), and I know how to do it.

I think this would be far more exciting then seeing the third or fourth rendition of Earl and whoever has the dubious honor of being his teammate. That is going the wrong way imo.

Give me one year and one year only and I will guarantee that we will bring home the bacon!
I have no doubt you could get it done, but haven't Chris Robinson and Oscar already had their shot? I like the Josh Roberts pick, but I would like to see Sossei, Shane Mcminn, T-Rex, Hennessee, Max Eberle, get a shot. That group of guys hanging around 770 FR, that have just been grindoing away for years.

I would really like to see how good T-Rex could get if he focused on rotation for a year or so....

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no doubt you could get it done, but haven't Chris Robinson and Oscar already had their shot? I like the Josh Roberts pick, but I would like to see Sossei, Shane Mcminn, T-Rex, Hennessee, Max Eberle, get a shot. That group of guys hanging around 770 FR, that have just been grindoing away for years.

I would really like to see how good T-Rex could get if he focused on rotation for a year or so....
One guy who is rarely mentioned is Jesse Engel. Seems like a good guy and is a very solid player- although he does play slow.

Also, does Landon Shuffett play at all any more? If he does, maybe they should consider him

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

T-Rex definitely deserves consideration. He can stand up under the heat and has been there and done that many times, more than most of the guys who have MC experience. Jeremy and Shane also should be considered. As for the other two, I like Max personally but I don't think he is right for this team. I would never consider Hennessey/Pinegar for anything! I prefer not to elaborate on that.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
haven't Chris Robinson and Oscar already had their shot? I like the Josh Roberts pick, but I would like to see Sossei, Shane Mcminn, T-Rex, Hennessee, Max Eberle, get a shot. That group of guys hanging around 770 FR, that have just been grindoing away for years.
At this point no one new is getting on Team USA without Shane's say-so, and possibly giving up a piece of their Mosconi Cup earnings.

Tony Chohan and Josh Roberts would be excellent choices. They have both proven they can stand up to the pressure.

But that would be too much diversity for Matchroom's flagship pool product.

oknotok.jpg

Reactions: VVP

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
T-Rex definitely deserves consideration. He can stand up under the heat and has been there and done that many times, more than most of the guys who have MC experience. Jeremy and Shane also should be considered. As for the other two, I like Max personally but I don't think he is right for this team. I would never consider Hennessey/Pinegar for anything! I prefer not to elaborate on that.
I had to do a double take on seeing Henny's name mentioned.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it's the pool world's loss that such a talented player isn't competing. but on the other hand we see less talented players get enough sponsorship to travel the world and compete, because they're sportsmanlike and well behaved. it doesn't seem to take that much effort to adjust and act professional.

i hope to see mike d compete again. as of now USA has two relatively young ~800 fargo players that don't compete for different reasons

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At this point no one new is getting on Team USA without Shane's say-so, and possibly giving up a piece of their Mosconi Cup earnings.

Tony Chohan and Josh Roberts would be excellent choices. They have both proven they can stand up to the pressure.

But that would be too much diversity for Matchroom's flagship pool product.

View attachment 615089

raj hundal, who like tony is of indian descent, played in the mosconi cup 2005. imran majid, of pakistani descent, played 2006. then we have charlie williams, rodney, oscar..

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What's troubling is that every player for whom one could make some kind of a case offers reasons for steering clear.

Some had not had a high finish in nine ball in a long time.

Some of those deserving of consideration have had just marginal participation in the many US based events this year. To paraphrase a Matchroom press release, they don't want players that are not committed to being full time pool professionals. Of course, that would seem to have disqualified Earl from consideration, so who knows what was really meant?

Others deserving consideration didn't look good at the just completed International 9-ball or at the US Open. Why take someone who is off form?

Still others players skipped the World Pool Championships, the US Open and/or the International. It seems hard to select anyone who missed even two of these.

Whichever players are picked by JJ as the last two, I think we'll all have no trouble shooting holes in his choices, but I think we'll need to cut JJ some slack on this occasion, for the simple reason that there seems to be no winning moves available.

Best is to wait for and embrace the selections made.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
What's troubling is that every player for whom one could make some kind of a case offers reasons for steering clear.

Some had not had a high finish in nine ball in a long time.

Some of those deserving of consideration have had just marginal participation in the many US based events this year. To paraphrase a Matchroom press release, they don't want players that are not committed to being full time pool professionals. Of course, that would seem to have disqualified Earl from consideration, so who knows what was really meant?

Others deserving consideration didn't look good at the just completed International 9-ball or at the US Open. Why take someone who is off form?

Still others players skipped the World Pool Championships, the US Open and/or the International. It seems hard to select anyone who missed even two of these.

Whichever players are picked by JJ as the last two, I think we'll all have no trouble shooting holes in his choices, but I think we'll need to cut JJ some slack on this occasion, for the simple reason that there seems to be no winning moves available.

Best is to wait for and embrace the selections made.
I would field a team of one pocket stars!

They would do better than the 9/10 ball stars! Might actually win a safety battle or two.....

Svb
Trex
Justin Hall
Chip Compton
Skylar

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You are truly lost in America!

Your are calling sane black celebrities 100 times worse than a person allegedly diagnosed with mental illness!

Just think about that

Vick dog fighting conviction was related to his owning the property and his family member was into dog fighting! Not Vick! The family member was his house guest and because the house guest did it on his property he got convicted...

LeBron is not the Chinese government engaged in the atrocities you highlighted! He plays ball and wears sneakers doing it...

Again, neither one of these people you mentioned have health issues that are of concern ! So what gives?

Could it be their race? You would trust your family and friends around some one ill before you would two black celebrities that aren't homeless and aren't ill simply on the basis of race....

That sir could be considered the definition of racism especially when you say "100 times worse than Earl"

Kd

He wasnt citing race at all, just because something is true does not automatically make it racist. The connection with the things that Chicago RJ was commenting on was popular pro athletes and crime, nothing racist there only factual. Theres trash that comes in all races out there but the things in common is that they are human and made bad choices. Go ahead and call out every (insert race here) on the planet who is trash, you will get no racist complaints from me if it is fact and not opinion. It becomes racist when comments are made on opinions and not fact.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
He wasnt citing race at all, just because something is true does not automatically make it racist. The connection with the things that Chicago RJ was commenting on was popular pro athletes and crime, nothing racist there only factual. Theres trash that comes in all races out there but the things in common is that they are human and made bad choices. Go ahead and call out every (insert race here) on the planet who is trash, you will get no racist complaints from me if it is fact and not opinion. It becomes racist when comments are made on opinions and not fact.
His comments are political and have no bearing on the topic ! He is known for taking us off topic repeatedly!

My point is still the same! I would fear a insane homeless person before I would fear a sane multimillionaire! Regardless of the race of the Individual!

The "fact" that the above scenario is disregarded by the poster due primarily due to the racial differences is very telling in my opinion!

What you deduce from the Earl Strickland comparison to LeBron James is up to you!

But, Earl has had numerous conflicts of a serious nature. While LeBron has been guilty of wearing shoes from China!

But, one is 100 times safer.

Kd

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His comments are political and have no bearing on the topic ! He is known for taking us off topic repeatedly!

My point is still the same! I would fear a insane homeless person before I would fear a sane multimillionaire! Regardless of the race of the Individual!

The "fact" that the above scenario is disregarded by the poster due primarily due to the racial differences is very telling in my opinion!

What you deduce from the Earl Strickland comparison to LeBron James is up to you!

But, Earl has had numerous conflicts of a serious nature. While LeBron has been guilty of wearing shoes from China!

But, one is 100 times safer.

Kd

You're a race-baiting tool. Sorry but i call 'em like i see 'em.