Joe Rogan / Fedor Gorst

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Kaci shoot 9 ball like God. I've seen him play kindof bad too. Playing pool for a living has to be such a grind. The tournaments are grueling mentally.
One thing that kindof bothers me nowadays is the really short shot clock and the loud beeping at some tournaments. Makes it hard to watch as a spectator. Can only imagine playing in it. (I get wanting to speed the games up) it's gotta feel l like getting sharked every shot specially if your pattern is super tough all ready.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I think the players of the future are a bit more business prone these days.

Sponsors. Matchroom’s amazing production. Players starting YouTube channels. Stream/ppv matches. I am already watching more pool than I could ever imagine. I grew up waiting for sudden death 7-ball at the Mohegan Sun to be televised on ESPN. Woof, those were the days. There are just a lot more ways to make money with pool than ever.

All sports have their scandals. And criminals. And shadiness. This isn’t unique to pool. Hopefully professional players will make enough money to keep it clean at the professional level.

I think things are headed in the right direction.
I disagree

The kids are the future and youth involvement is through a pipeline that goes through the gutters.

Funding for the kids is just not what it should be. Too busy trying to feed a few dozen drug addicted pool players bottom feeding off local tournaments!

Sad but true!

I remember when svb/ Justin hall /Bergman / Sky were coming along.

They had to follow in the foot steps of Hatch / Tony Watson/ and several others.

The streets eat up several and spit them out just like water dog. Even fedor gorst would not want pool for his kids! He just made $156,000 this year and appeared on the Joe Rogan show and no dice for his offspring!

All successful sports have great youth programs and out reach programs! Even boxing and MMA are doing better than pool at attracting kids to the sport and keeping the streets away! That speaks volumes....

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Nick8400

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree

The kids are the future and youth involvement is through a pipeline that goes through the gutters.

Funding for the kids is just not what it should be. Too busy trying to feed a few dozen drug addicted pool players bottom feeding off local tournaments!

Sad but true!

They had to follow in the foot steps of Hatch / Tony Watson/ and several others.

The streets eat up several and spit them out just like water dog. Even fedor gorst would not want pool for his kids! He just made $156,000 this year and appeared on the Joe Rogan show and no dice for his offspring!

All successful sports have great youth programs and out reach programs! Even boxing and MMA are doing better than pool at attracting kids to the sport and keeping the streets away! That speaks volumes....

Kd

Gotta start somewhere.

Edit- I sent my reply before I finished typing lol

There are a couple high school teams around here. I wouldn’t have dreamt of that happening 20 years ago. Pretty cool. It’s a start.

Gorst might not want his kids to play pool. But There have been many a NFL player that has said the same about their kid and football. Again, nothing unique to pool.

Just have to keep improving the game each generation. And I think that’s happening.

Can’t live in the past.

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Gotta start somewhere.
I agree got to start somewhere! Just think and hope my comments yield results for the kids and pool room owners start spending more on the kids and support youth tournaments and youth involvement!

Kd

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robert LeBlanc is going off after listening to this. His book Confessions Of A Pool Hustler is a great read.

Attachments

• 0A670BA6-5C49-4075-8A24-E55267D5C88B.jpeg
    0A670BA6-5C49-4075-8A24-E55267D5C88B.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 202

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rogan briefly talked about lifting weights being detrimental to pool playing. I disagree- I've been lifting weights for decades and often play pool on the same day I lift- I haven't noticed any difference in my playing ability on the days I lift vs the days I don't.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Rogan briefly talked about lifting weights being detrimental to pool playing. I disagree- I've been lifting weights for decades and often play pool on the same day I lift- I haven't noticed any difference in my playing ability on the days I lift vs the days I don't.
Lifting is designed to create muscle fatigue.

Fatigue during a pool match is never a good thing!

Just my opinion . Former weight lifter

Kd

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lifting is designed to create muscle fatigue.

Fatigue during a pool match is never a good thing!

Just my opinion . Former weight lifter

Kd

I understand that, but I think after years of lifting you adjust to it and hardly even notice

PracticeChampion

Robert LeBlanc is going off after listening to this. His book Confessions Of A Pool Hustler is a great read.
I know some of these people too, and I feel Joe and Fedor haven't been in the gutters long enough to really understand the whole scene but I sure appreciate him putting any spotlight on the game. I absolutely loved the interview and had several laughs out loud especially when talking about the games in the Philippines

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very first thing Earl will tell you is "do not lift weights".

Just what he told me, he said racket sports and cardio.

Not saying that weights are bad for everyone, but I can't lift heavy and play.

My opinion

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I really wish they talked more about the Mosconi Cup and showed some highlights!! It’s like our Super Bowl and if anything is gonna get the public interested in pool it has to be the Mosconi Cup!!!
Well, as great as a staged event which the Mosconi Cup is, don't forget it is a mere show. As a main thing to present to the public, I wouldn't pick an event where, win or lose, a player is guaranteed to get a solid barrell (nice $$ to his account). I'd rather take something one's life depends on :) World championship at the very least. Literally anything competitive, over the MC.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice to see Joe doing a podcast about pool. And he appeared to pick the right guy for this first one. Fedor is one of the top players in the game today and being Russian and foreign to the pool culture in America made for an interesting interview. I wish they would have talked more about the progress of pro pool and how players like Fedor are beginning to make a decent living at the game. Fedor did not say he wouldn't want his children to be pool players. Rather he wouldn't want them to embrace the gambling aspect of it.

The truth is that most professional pool players would prefer to make a living playing tournaments, but that is only possible for the very best players right now. They painted a pretty ugly picture of the gambling side of pool, that to me was more a throwback to a long time ago. Yes, there is still quite a bit of gambling that goes on but all that hard core stuff is not prevalent any more, not like it was thirty or forty years ago. I'm old enough to remember how things were 30, 40 and 50 years ago, when there were very few tournaments and even at them the gambling was more important than the tourney. Times have changed today where a pool player does not need to gamble to make a living. Look at Fedor. He is 22 and sounds like he is done with all that already. Many of the top name players simply do not gamble at all!

That said I'm a believer in the show biz axiom, "I don't care what they say about me. Just spell my name right!" Our sport is getting a lot of views in a variety of mediums and to me that is a good thing. The more people that see stuff like this, the more they will be interested to watch pool on TV or in person. They want to see the people who are being featured on these shows. I learned a long time ago from a top level television producer of sporting events that repeated viewing and exposure is the best thing for the success of any sport. His exact words were, you need to create stars to build a sport. And that is what is happening right now!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Jay that show business can give pool a boost. If the players' personalities are showcased, it will attract interest for prospective viewers to want to learn more about pool as a sport. Pia and Josh Filler, Margaret and Tyler Styer, Fedor and Kristina each have interesting background stories and being pool's power couples, as an example. "60 Minutes" did a great job showcasing why Shane Van Boening is special and why he's one of the elite players of today. How Allison and Kelly and Karen left snooker to pursue pool and made it to the top is another good human interest story. Savannah Easton is a cutie pie, and her dedication to pool makes her a rising star who shines brightly. Pool has a lot of great personalities to share. And for the ladies, well, Kaci is easy on the eyes. 😊

Thank goodness that Joe Rogan has shown some interest with this interview of Fedor. Whoever set that up, well done!

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote that Rogan interviews Scooter Goodman next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I disagree

Sad but true!

Kd

Dang, Waterdog😔

Shane & Matchroom understand that pool needs a youth-player pipeline and have begun to create events alongside the pro events.
At least an effort is being taken now backed by 2 prominent pool representatives.