2023 World Pool Championship, Kielce, Poland

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
hey james, d'ya mean albania?

in the last 16, I see three poles, three austrians, two taiwanese
a serbian, a syrian, an estonian, a canadian, an american, a nederlander, a spaniard, and a vietnamese

this said, albania is home to top player kaci, amongst others
oops, yeah Austria lol 🤡

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chess clock. Simple. Known technology. Does not require staff action. Has been used for pool.

Would the first player to run out of time lose, and that's the end of the match? What if the player that ran out of time was ahead in the match score? What if both players had 1 second left, and the match still had a few games left?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you were close :p
but yea, austria not doing too shabby..albin's a two-time world champ already, and austria as a team has two WCOP titles

and if i'm not wrong, lechner runner up at the US open, mario semifinalist at the european open. ouschan is tad ahead maybe but it's real close between the three.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Wow, this is amazing. Put the slow players on notice with data. Great job. Although I don't know how they did the calculations, it probably does not matter for this discussion. But, you could have a player lose 7-0 every match to fast opponents, and that losing player would have the lowest time of the group, depending on how they are recording and analyzing the data.

Here is their site with the pace of play of the players:
Interestingly you can see some of the trend between slow play and the best play when looking at that chart. In the fifth division down, the one with 913 players in it, the pros and master players are mostly grouped near the top. And just below that, where they have the divisions based on skill, Pro, Master, A, B, C, etc, you can again see the general trend where the slower the players the better the players.

This isn't enough on its own to draw definitive conclusions, but the totality of the evidence supporting that everybody (once you force yourself to get used to it and give it a fair chance) will play to their maximum potential when they play slow is overwhelming. The problem is that it just doesn't make for the best viewing experience and so there has to be some use of time clocks or similar that force a compromise between the best levels of play and the best viewing experience.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would the first player to run out of time lose, and that's the end of the match? What if the player that ran out of time was ahead in the match score? What if both players had 1 second left, and the match still had a few games left?
There are several reasonable ways to handle the time penalty. One is to time by the rack -- out of time, lose the rack. If timed by the match, the non-flagged player would be awarded games corresponding to how much time he had left. If someone runs out of time 10-2 ahead, and the other player has 20 seconds left, a match forfeit is not fair. What's best depends on various factors.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interestingly you can see some of the trend between slow play and the best play when looking at that chart. In the fifth division down, the one with 913 players in it, the pros and master players are mostly grouped near the top. And just below that, where they have the divisions based on skill, Pro, Master, A, B, C, etc, you can again see the general trend where the slower the players the better the players.

This isn't enough on its own to draw definitive conclusions, but the totality of the evidence supporting that everybody (once you force yourself to get used to it and give it a fair chance) will play to their maximum potential when they play slow is overwhelming. The problem is that it just doesn't make for the best viewing experience and so there has to be some use of time clocks or similar that force a compromise between the best levels of play and the best viewing experience.
It's not just that -- it's that you routinely use such strong language when discussing this topic. "Everybody will play to their maximum potential when they play slow..." disregards the obvious evidence that many, many players at the very top, not only don't play slow -- but they play fast. So you need to send this info to Strickland, Filler, Shaw, SVB when he's rolling, a recent Sky who's been playing better and faster, AND possibly the greatest cue sportsman of all-time -- Ronnie O'Sullivan.

If you went to them with this data you would be laughed out of the room. Sometimes the data doesn't tell the whole story.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched Shane's match on DAZN.
The man is determined to defend his title.
I hope he gets it.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl Strickland at his peak! He ran racks in one to two minutes max. One, two, shoot. One, two, shoot. All that scoping out the table from every angle was not part of his agenda. Seems he knew the dimensions of the table and where the pockets were located, and didn’t need to double check everything on each shot.

He had a decent career too!
And made lots of careless errors too! Look at Shaw at the end of the Morra match! I like the Chess Clock idea for Pool. Most players have good tempo and only take time on difficult shots or difficult decisions. Watch Melling - he has a good tempo, but takes his time when needed. Frankly whatever "slow" play is going on in this tournament hasn't bothered me. If slow play is the reason people won't watch pool, then whey didn't we get NFL like audiences when the Shot Clock was first implemented?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so well produced.
Matchroom deserves to own pool.
World Pool, nice to see all the young talent.

No shot clock is a bit slow. But it's leading to some really strong play. Plenty of close matches in the end, with lead changes commonly occurring in today's races to 11.

I think SVB won't be satisfied unless he wins. He's in a good place mentally at this stage in his career. He's still got alot in the tank to get there.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was the win over Shaw considered the biggest win of John Morra's career?
Johnny has beat them all. He has zero quit in him. His best game beats anybody and he has before. That said he's not an ultra top talent.

Seen him playing as a young kid, matching up at SBE. His dad is a hell of a good player too. They'd be playing at Turning Stone events together and I could see where Johnny got his game and respectful attitude. The Canadian contingent are all classy talented players.

I always pull for Johnny and guys like Oscar Dominguez because of their demeanor on and off the table. They are the kind of pros this game needs. Matchroom knows this as well.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several reasonable ways to handle the time penalty. One is to time by the rack -- out of time, lose the rack. If timed by the match, the non-flagged player would be awarded games corresponding to how much time he had left. If someone runs out of time 10-2 ahead, and the other player has 20 seconds left, a match forfeit is not fair. What's best depends on various factors.
Can't turn pool into basketball where they are just running out the clock.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think SVB won't be satisfied unless he wins. He's in a good place mentally at this stage in his career. He's still got alot in the tank to get there.

if vietnamese guy plays like yesterday shane's gonna have to play his best. the guy shut out sczewczyk 11-1 in quite an exhibition on the youtube table

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member

In the past when trying to come up with a proper use of chess clock in pool tournaments, I came to a conclusion that in any way it the match should not end when time runs out. I assume when this happens the match goes to turbo mode (and mostly for a player who just ran out of "standard" time). Like 15 seconds per shot, or 10 minutes to end the match, something like that.

(My survey did not go deep enough, and the reason was one to consider when trying to implement chess clock in pool: there were players who just refused operating the clock during my experiments at the events. They were saying, the requirement to push the button after every inning distracts their mind from the game. Probably there are enough pros who will claim the same, so here we are with the need to hire some third party that will operate the chess clock at every table in play. What is good though, it takes somewhat less responsibility for the "timekeeper", as opposed to shot clock, which must be operated by skilled referees only)

Actually the chess clock topic deserves to have a separate thread, to keep all the good ideas there.

Last edited:

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
The problem "I think" becomes hearing someone say 10 seconds and take you out of a rhythm. I know, don't get put into that situation.
Not a problem at all, as long as a player is aware of this situation happening here and then. This approach of a verbal warning has been in use between the best refereeing team out there, by far. And there is no issues.
There are wise players who know their rhythm is not fast enough at times, so they actually wait until they get "a signal". Verbal warning or a beeper like used at the Mosconi Cup, those players just stay in stance and perform prelim strokes until they hear a signal, and then they go ahed with the stroke. Because they know they have 10 (or 5, depending on the rules of a certain event) seconds to complete the shot. And this amount of time is pretty much sufficient.