The Most Cues?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have always wondered which company produced the most?
Meucci
Mcdermott
Adam/Helmstetter
Viking
I realize there are a few others but between these giants who do you think?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To just throw out a guess, I would say Meucci. Im basing that guess on length of time in the business.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say Adam by far, especially when you consider all the many brands they have made. They have made a lot of brands for Europe and Asia that most players in the US never even heard of.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It's debatable, but I've have to say Meucci. They had such a strong decade in the 80s with Mike Sigel, David Howard, Jim Rempe, Louie Roberts, to name a few. And it carried over. They made many, many cues. Not to doubt the strength of the others, but I think Meucci is it.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Brunswick.if you mean any type of cue.

Well, technically you may be correct, but I think the OP was really referring to somewhat custom cues.

If you really want to expand the field, whatever company made the most house cues probably has the record, but I don't think that was the inquiry.

All the best,
WW

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I have always wondered which company produced the most?
Meucci
Mcdermott
Adam/Helmstetter
Viking
I realize there are a few others but between these giants who do you think?

When you take into consideration the size of the factories, how many you have seen being played with over the decades in various parts of the country (because how common and popular they are varies in different areas), how many you have seen being sold online and in person over the decades, etc (none of which are perfect gauges), I would guess them in this order:
Adam
McDermott
Meucci
Viking

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's debatable, but I've have to say Meucci. They had such a strong decade in the 80s with Mike Sigel, David Howard, Jim Rempe, Louie Roberts, to name a few. And it carried over. They made many, many cues. Not to doubt the strength of the others, but I think Meucci is it.

All the best,
WW

Adam brands were pretty strong at that time as well. And don't forget they had been for a decade already.

I think it's very debatable...but I take Adam as #1.

Adam had a factory...Meucci was a cue shop...if you catch my meaning...

Heck, even the last Brunswick Willie Hoppe cues were made by Adam...for several years.

Of course, if you only count the cues that were labeled with the Adam logo, that's a different story. I would give Meucci a shot at #1 then.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Adam brands were pretty strong at that time as well. And don't forget they had been for a decade already.

Heck, even the last Brunswick Willie Hoppe cues were made by Adam...for several years.

Of course, if you only count the cues that were labeled with the Adam logo, that's a different story. I would give Meucci a shot at #1 then.

I think Adam as well....they also do the carom and snooker cue market.

A mass producer like Brunswick......I think Dufferin beats them, even though Brunswick
had a monster head start.....Brunswick farmed a lot of stuff out....
...for about 20years, Dufferin may have made more Brunswicks than Brunswick.
Dufferin had a world market....especially with house cues.

People would show me cues from exotic places....they were made in Toronto.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're only offering those four companies, I'd say McDermott. Without considering Brunswick, or house cues, the real winner would be Cuetec Cues. They have sold millions and millions of cues...not just in the US, but all over China and the Far East for decades.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I left out Brunswick and Dufferin and tried to stick to what many casual players refer to as "custom cues";). I guess with a few inquiries to the companies we might get some ball park figures but I would think that
Adam
Mcdermott tied with Meucci
Viking

Yes Brunswick might be on top of most cues ever but like pt said they farmed out many of their cues.
Dufferin must have made millions!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Adam as well....they also do the carom and snooker cue market.

A mass producer like Brunswick......I think Dufferin beats them, even though Brunswick
had a monster head start.....Brunswick farmed a lot of stuff out....
...for about 20years, Dufferin may have made more Brunswicks than Brunswick.
Dufferin had a world market....especially with house cues.

People would show me cues from exotic places....they were made in Toronto.

I tend to agree with you there.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Meucci was a factory.
They also made Maximum cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci was a factory.
They also made Maximum cues.

In the 80's, compared to the Adam facilities?

We could argue what "factory" means all day I guess...but I did say "if you catch my meaning". So I guess you didn't catch my meaning.

Richard Helmstetter is legendary for developing the manufacturing of cues at Adam. It took decades for others to approach what he did...and some would say they still have not caught up. We now know them as Musashi.

Yes, Meucci made Maximum...and some others that did not have the Meucci name on them. And they imported the Medici line later.

In the 80's Bob Meucci was in the shop building cues. Richard Helmststter was not at Adam making cues. Hence I call the Adam facility a manufacturer and the Meucci facility a cue shop.

Not only do I not think that Meucci made as many cues as Adam, I don't think they had the physical capability to do so. They were not set up for that.

But, if you look at the business profiles of any of these makers, they will be listed as a manufacturing business.

Even Joss, Schon, JP, etc are formally manufacturing businesses. So they can be said to be factories.

So...sure, Meucci had a factory in the 1980's. You are right...but as I said, you didn't catch my meaning. :wink: