Shane Van Boening playing with extension why??

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shares record with a standard length cue is unbelievable. after watching him play with the extended cue it seems his misses are much worst not rattling the pocket but missing the pocket completely. i believe the engineering characteristics built into the standard length cue change with longer length, weight, and balance. he seems to do alright with straight ins but sometimes misses badly with english. other have tried the extensions but go back.

Yes. Strickland was also playing better with standard length. He does stupid things as he gets older and he thinks he is playing better. Lol.......

3 cushion players play with 55 inch cues.

Anybody thinks 3c players don't get a lot of action with these cues ?

And they use shorter bridge !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so you know, that is a myth. Once the CB leaves the tip (in 1/1000th of a second) the physics part of the equation is over. How you 'finish' your swing is up to you, but extended followthrough does not give you anything extra, as far as the outcome of the shot is concerned. The truth is that people may like extensions on their cues (whether it's at the joint, or the end of the cue), but there were many very tall champion players before the advent of the longer cues. It's mostly psychological...but if it makes you "feel" like you play better, then by all means utilize it. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Lee took one look at me playing, at 6'3" with long arms, I was cramped up on my cue, with the grip hand playing off the butt just to get perpendicular to the floor, and said my cue was too short. And he was right. After getting a longer cue via an extension, a comfort and consistency in my stroke emerged that I'm happy about.

I've paid special notice as of late to pro players who are over 6'2" and noticed a few of them are playing with an extension (Shane) or longer shafts (ruslan chinakhov)...They may not have started out that way, but eventually it seems the players are reaching the understanding (Like Lee described) that a cue fitted to the player does wonders for the stroke.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shares record with a standard length cue is unbelievable. after watching him play with the extended cue it seems his misses are much worst not rattling the pocket but missing the pocket completely. i believe the engineering characteristics built into the standard length cue change with longer length, weight, and balance. he seems to do alright with straight ins but sometimes misses badly with english. other have tried the extensions but go back.

Yes. Strickland was also playing better with standard length. He does stupid things as he gets older and he thinks he is playing better. Lol.......

3 cushion players play with 55 inch cues.

Anybody thinks 3c players don't get a lot of action with these cues ?

And they use shorter bridge !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

They also play on heated billiard tables with super fast warmed cushions. The action on those rails is much different than a cold pool table.

I would have to say Shane winning US Opens, world pool masters beating Appleton, ESPN tournament of champions beating Niels and A Ouchan, and coming in 2nd at the World 9 ball (his best showing yet) all with a long cue proves he's playing better.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Just so you know, that is a myth. Once the CB leaves the tip (in 1/1000th of a second) the physics part of the equation is over. How you 'finish' your swing is up to you, but extended followthrough does not give you anything extra, as far as the outcome of the shot is concerned. The truth is that people may like extensions on their cues (whether it's at the joint, or the end of the cue), but there were many very tall champion players before the advent of the longer cues. It's mostly psychological...but if it makes you "feel" like you play better, then by all means utilize it. :D

Scott Lee

I am sorry Scott, but your science guy Dr Dave, has this completely wrong. The follow through is one of the most important parts of the stroke in not only pool. Golf, Tennis, Baseball.

Try and tell Miguel Cabrera that his follow through has no effect on the baseball or Steph Curry that his arm extension on his follow through has no effect. That will laugh at you and tell you it is everything. Quit on the follow through, quit on the shot and you will be decelerating and then keep watching the outcome of the shot. I will do a video to prove you guys wrong when i do my you tube channel this year.

Lee

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry Scott, but your science guy Dr Dave, has this completely wrong. The follow through is one of the most important parts of the stroke in not only pool. Golf, Tennis, Baseball.

Try and tell Miguel Cabrera that his follow through has no effect on the baseball or Steph Curry that his arm extension on his follow through has no effect. That will laugh at you and tell you it is everything. Quit on the follow through, quit on the shot and you will be decelerating and then keep watching the outcome of the shot. I will do a video to prove you guys wrong when i do my you tube channel this year.

Lee

Point being that the follow through is a result of a good swing. Follow through in and of itself has ZERO effect on the trajectory of the ball it's merely the result of a proper swing.

If I'm not mistaken this is what most instructors Including Dr Dave that speak about follow through or lack there of are making this point.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Point being that the follow through is a result of a good swing. Follow through in and of itself has ZERO effect on the trajectory of the ball it's merely the result of a proper swing.

If I'm not mistaken this is what most instructors Including Dr Dave that speak about follow through or lack there of are making this point.

Before you can have a good "result", you need to get there the correct way. What happens after is a direct and necessary reflection of what happened prior..or so I'm told....:)

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you can have a good "result", you need to get there the correct way. What happens after is a direct and necessary reflection of what happened prior..or so I'm told....:)

I'm confused. That is exactly what I said?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue maker told me that the appropriate length for a cue should be that the tip touches your bottom lip with the butt of the cue on the floor.

For me, that is 57-58 inches.

The length of cues should not be the same for everyone. They should be adjusted for your height, arm length, bridge length, etc.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue maker told me that the appropriate length for a cue should be that the tip touches your bottom lip with the butt of the cue on the floor.

For me, that is 57-58 inches.

The length of cues should not be the same for everyone. They should be adjusted for your height, arm length, bridge length, etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. The equipment should be adapted to the player, not player adapting to the equipment.

Aren't good golf clubs fitted to the golfer?
Pool has been behind in this thinking but lately with the use of extensions, it seems we are catching up.
Like he said, it's not the same for everyone.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
we ain't machines

Lee

A machine could get by just fine with one inch of follow through. Impossible for our unconscious not to anticipate the next move and start to act sooner than we want so without follow through we affect the main part of the stroke, swing, pitch, whatever motion we are talking about. I demonstrated a very exaggerated follow through to an instructor years ago. He asked me what it did for my shot and I told him the truth, it didn't do a thing. However, what was important is what it prevented me from doing. I didn't decelerate, I didn't hook, I didn't pop up on the shot. The importance of the follow through, at least in my opinion, is that it puts the hit somewhere in the middle of the stroke instead of at the end of it.

I think we are in full agreement, I just expanded a bit. Feel free to correct me concerning your thoughts if I am mistaken.

Hu

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I'm only 6'1 but have been playing with 60" cues for quite a while. Longer cues are necessary for taller people if they care about "proper" mechanics (i.e. No/minimal elbow drop). My back hand was hanging off the end of my cue for a lot of shots and the longer cue helps with this.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hu...Absolutely true that we want to strike the CB in/near the middle of our swing...no matter how we do it. My point is that it doesn't matter how far we finish our stroke past the contact point with the CB...nor does it affect the outcome of the shot (as long as you're not decelerating the stroke). We teach a natural finish based on how your arm works with your body, and not some artificial extended followthrough. If you finish your stroke naturally, the 'followthrough' will be the same for almost every shot...including the break. I think we are basic agreement. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

A machine could get by just fine with one inch of follow through. Impossible for our unconscious not to anticipate the next move and start to act sooner than we want so without follow through we affect the main part of the stroke, swing, pitch, whatever motion we are talking about. I demonstrated a very exaggerated follow through to an instructor years ago. He asked me what it did for my shot and I told him the truth, it didn't do a thing. However, what was important is what it prevented me from doing. I didn't decelerate, I didn't hook, I didn't pop up on the shot. The importance of the follow through, at least in my opinion, is that it puts the hit somewhere in the middle of the stroke instead of at the end of it.

I think we are in full agreement, I just expanded a bit. Feel free to correct me concerning your thoughts if I am mistaken.

Hu

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Curry walks a few of us through his summer shooting drills, explaining everything he works on from bottom to top with an acronym he learned from his father as a kid: B-E-E-F

Follow-Through: “You always have to follow through every shot.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/scicurious/how-brain-sees-follow-through

The results show that our brains don’t perceive preparation, swing and follow-through as separate movements. Instead, these motions are a single motor memory.

This means that consistent follow-through is important for performance. “If you’ve got consistent follow-through in one motor memory you’ve got to learn one task, but if you have nine follow-throughs you have to learn nine tasks.”

: Phil taylor has his hand actually pointing at the floor after a follow through... greatest darts player to ever live. I guess follow through doesn't effect his darts.

Below is Taylor's technique, as you can see the dart is gone, but he follows through, how can this effect the outcome. Because it does, and the quicker you learn this, the better you will become.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160702-183950.jpg
    Screenshot_20160702-183950.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just so you know, that is a myth. Once the CB leaves the tip (in 1/1000th of a second) the physics part of the equation is over. How you 'finish' your swing is up to you, but extended followthrough does not give you anything extra, as far as the outcome of the shot is concerned.
I am sorry Scott, but your science guy Dr Dave, has this completely wrong. The follow through is one of the most important parts of the stroke
Lee,

What do you think I am wrong about? I didn't post anything in this thread, and Scott didn't quote me.

I certainly agree with you that the follow through is an important part of the stroke, because it is usually a strong indicator of a good stroke into the ball. And if the follow through isn't complete and straight, that is usually an indicator of a poor stroke (e.g., deceleration, grip tightening, tension, jerkiness, chicken wing, etc.).

I also agree with Scott that an exaggerated and extended follow through is not necessarily helpful. Often, people who do this have excessive shoulder and elbow motion; and if that motion occurs before tip contact (as it sometimes can, especially in less-experienced players), the stroke usually won't be as accurate (with direction or tip contact point).

For those interested, much more info on this topic can be found on the follow through resource page.

Regards,
Dave

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Follow through and an extended follow through is where the books go on the shelf and feel oozes through your pores.

The greatest players past and present in all disciplines extend their follow through, including the greatest 3 cushion players.

Punch and jap type strikers not as much but do extend when they are delivering a rolling ball.

Bring your straight stroke and feel, the extended follow through will join in.

As for the original thread about Shane playing with an extension.
Everyone should be fitted for a cue.
It will compliment your wingspan and index.
58'' cues are for people who sell cues.
If you are buying a custom, have it fitted like golf clubs etc., you can thank me later.

thelmstetter

Tomcat
Silver Member
My Experience

I have played with a long cue on and off for the past three or four years. My established Fargo rating is about 600. I have switched back and forth a couple times but seem to keep going back to the longer cue because I seem to play better with it. I am not sure why but over an extended period of time it seems to improve my game. I have done better in matches and tournaments when I use the longer cue. A couple of the advantages I see are: the extra length allows more flexibility to change bridge length. Some shots are easier to sight with a longer bridge; the extra weight helps keep the cue on the shot line with less force... less force reduces the chance of tension in your stroke; last one is the obvious one... it comes in handy when you have to stretch for a shot. The biggest drawback is the it does change how the cue ball reacts... I think it does change the amount of deflection slightly. My advice is to just do what works for you. Experiment with different equipment when you get an opportunity. I really like my cues and often offer to let others try them out... that usually results in them offering to let me hit a couple balls with their equipment... win win :)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moment_of_inertia_examples.gif
My friend Lee Brett, the pool instructor, pointed out to me that you get more action the further back you bridge the cue, so more cue is coming off your bridge hand. Once he told me that I noticed a lot of players, especially the Europeans, do that (Jayson Shaw doesn't!) So if you're tall it's hard to do it without an extension, you're literally holding the butt of the cue.

What ever happened to lee?

Oh, ad the farther back you place your hand, the more magnified your stroke errors are...think circle's radius

Last edited:

cramh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all those interesting explanations about this interesting question...