Who was/is best all around pool player, still alive today?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Good break down, Chrisin.
I think the reason it's easier to be a better all-around player today than yesteryear is because of the table conditions.
Today, it the stroke is closer in all games because of the fast cloth and relatively more pristine conditions.

Anybody have any take on that?

With the qualification of in their prime? Mike Sigel.

Players like Luther Lassiter, Harold Worst, Eddie Taylor, and Don Willis are not around. Nobody living has the record of Sigel, in all the games. I realize many want to anoint Efren, but too little straight pool.

This question is asked so many times.

All the best,
WW

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say Jeremy Jones is on the short list.

1. Strong rotation player
  2. Excellent bank player
  3. Perfect 8 ball patterns
  4. Top 4 in the world in One Pocket

Ha ha, well, that is why we all have a voice here:) I can think of 10 players off the bat that would mop the floor with him in everyone's respective primes in an all around. IMO, of course:)

Efren
Parica
Strickland
Buddy Hall
Varner
Sigel
Pagulayan
Busty
Dualton
Thorpe

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
All games, there has never been anybody close to Efren. No one else has won a championship in every discipline, played everybody and gambled as good as they played tournaments for 20 years!!!

Today, bodies beating Busty, Alex or Shane.

I’m pretty sure that Nick Varner has world titles in five disciplines...
...I’m pretty sure that nobody else equals that...
...I’m pretty sure that Nick beat Efren in a race to 50...in the Philippines.

I’m also pretty sure that anybody who doesn’t have Nick Varner in their top six...
....hasn’t been paying attention.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
With the qualification of in their prime? Mike Sigel.

Players like Luther Lassiter, Harold Worst, Eddie Taylor, and Don Willis are not around. Nobody living has the record of Sigel, in all the games. I realize many want to anoint Efren, but too little straight pool.

This question is asked so many times.

All the best,
WW

x2, Mike Sigel.

Attachments

• sigel.jpg
    sigel.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,053

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Correct, JJ isn't favored in rotation vs most of the players you mentioned but he's a push vs Daulton and Thorpe and way better than Parica. Not to mention that JJ put a 920 on Parica in the US Open 9 Ball Finals, and 9 Ball was Parica's best game.

All around is another story. He banks better than half of your list. And same is true in 1 Pocket.

That's why I said short list on the all around. Plus, he's in the One Pocket Hall of Fame:cool:

Ha ha, well, that is why we all have a voice here:) I can think of 10 players off the bat that would mop the floor with him in everyone's respective primes in an all around. IMO, of course:)

Efren
Parica
Strickland
Buddy Hall
Varner
Sigel
Pagulayan
Busty
Dualton
Thorpe

Last edited:

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m pretty sure that Nick Varner has world titles in five disciplines...
...I’m pretty sure that nobody else equals that...
...I’m pretty sure that Nick beat Efren in a race to 50...in the Philippines.

I’m also pretty sure that anybody who doesn’t have Nick Varner in their top six...
....hasn’t been paying attention.

Not many people know the story of Nick Varner & Efren Reyes. In 1990 everyone was talking about Reyes being the greatest player and invited anyone to travel to the Philippines to play him. So Varner traveled there and played Efren in his home poolroom and the table Efren plays on race to 60 for 30k. Varner put up his own money with no backer and Efren had about 20 people put up his stake.Varner beat Efren 60-31. Its amazing Varner was never invited back but when you win by 29 games it certainly wasn't luck.

Anyways my greatest all around picks of all time.
Past: Wimpy Lassiter / Eddie Taylor / Mizerak
Alive: Sigel / Varner / Reyes
Current: Van Boening / Orcollo / Shaw

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't think there is any question that Efren is the one.

At times some people have been better than him in some games, but those people came and went and Efren just stayed...He murdered everybody, playing one pocket for how long? Seems like half a century, but had to be at least a decade and a half? All while winning titles in all games, yes even straight pool. Some people have won titles in all games, like Varner, but I don't think anyone, even Varner has had such a well rounded game in all disciplines for as long as Efren. For at least 2 decades, Efren was not just a contender, but a top 3 favorite in any pool game he showed up for. Don't think anybody has had that kind of record. Not to mention that he plays carom and snooker extremely well, I believe he even won the Asian games playing snooker?

If Efren had Bustis break, I don't think anybody on the planet would have had any sort of chance in Rotation games for about 2 decades! Even with his sub-pro standard break, he still won, in games where the break is 70% of the gameplay. That's the kind of beastly speed he had.

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Nick Varner had everything, plus knowledge, plus heart and gamble. IN ALL DISCIPLINES.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren is up there and Shaw is gaining ground very quickly. If you are talking snooker that puts Alex at the top and Corey would have to be somewhere in the conversation too especially considering the DCC this year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sigel and Varner come to mind for me first. Both of them played all games very well. Playing tournaments only, Sigel might be favored, but not by much. Playing for the cash, Varner is a clear favorite. In today's world I'll take Dennis O. against anyone out there including a prime time Efren and current Alex. Dennis has more pure gamble and a higher speed overall than either of them at all the games.

There is a reason Dennis is considered the money game king of the Philippines. Even when the top Taiwanese players come there they match up with the other guys. Only Yang could beat Dennis and that was only at one game. Yang could never have played Dennis 14.1, One Pocket or Banks for that matter. I'd probably make Shane second on my list of current players, although we rarely see him play 14.1. He's top speed at all the other games though.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Not many people know the story of Nick Varner & Efren Reyes. In 1990 everyone was talking about Reyes being the greatest player and invited anyone to travel to the Philippines to play him. So Varner traveled there and played Efren in his home poolroom and the table Efren plays on race to 60 for 30k. Varner put up his own money with no backer and Efren had about 20 people put up his stake.Varner beat Efren 60-31. Its amazing Varner was never invited back but when you win by 29 games it certainly wasn't luck.

Anyways my greatest all around picks of all time.
Past: Wimpy Lassiter / Eddie Taylor / Mizerak
Alive: Sigel / Varner / Reyes
Current: Van Boening / Orcollo / Shaw

Wow! I'd love to see a video of that.

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still alive... all around pool player: Dennis O., Busti and Efren
Still alive... all around billard player: Efren....without a shadow of a doubt

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is not a pro player alive, or dead, who is/was not naturally gifted with hand-eye coordination well above the vast majority of people.

Niels has a talent, no doubt about it. But if you take TOP100 players in the world he would be in 80th-100th place talent-wise, it is his work ethic which makes him stand out of the crowd like he does and gives him his incredible consistency (and elbow injury as well:eek:):thumbup:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting stories about nick
i never heard before

it would be great to see them all at their prime

perhaps there is a way for future comparisons

something like playing several innings of straight pool

not perfect but wouldn't it be great to have film of nick playing the ghoast
for an extended time and efren doing the same