Pool and Girlfriends / Wives

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Im sure this topic has been done to death but i want to see what everyone has to say about it.

Now ive only dated women that liked pool but never a women that plays pool. I feel kinda jealous when i see a couple that plays pool together (especial if shes hot!!). On the other end of things ive seen two people date and then break up and then have a hot mess around the pool hall which i thought would make for an uncomfortable situation.

Wives i dont really know about because ive never been married but i was with a women for 7 years so i considered it being married :banghead: She was ok with me playing pool but she never wanted to be around it or hang out with my pool friends which again made me like this--------------------> :banghead: Especially when i went to all of her functions and was chummy with all of her friends. Just felt one side to me.

Funny but i started this thread because i was watching Jennifer Chen vs Brittany Bryant and thought Brittany (only saying this as an example) was really cute and a GREAT player and seemed like she would be a good girl to date. Not only would you like being with someone in a relationship but having them play that well would be icing on the cake!!!

Thoughts :smile:

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
A good marriage involves a certain amount of togetherness and a certain amount of space. The exact amounts depend on the couple, but the concept is true for every good relationship I know of.

In my marriage, most of the "space" is pool; other than work it's really the only thing I do much of without my wife. If my wife was a pool player, I'd probably be able to play more often, but we'd probably find out we still need some space, and it can be hard to strike the right balance. I guess what I'm saying is sometimes I wish my wife was a pool player, but other times I think it's best for our marriage the way it is.

-Andrew

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmm.....

I have played pool for over 40 years and been married for 30 of em, and the better half has never seen me play pool! That is fine with her and just fine with me also. She has less than zero interest in pool but understands that I like it and she is fine with that also. Just the way it works in my house and I am sure I'm not alone as many of my friends have similar relationships with their spouses also. When I think of it she'd much rather watch the soaps on the tube, than watch me play pool!! LOL!
Yikes,
Dan

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
maybe i should have labeled your dream pool chick. lol

I was going more for dating or being with a player. Kinda like if your in the restaurant industry you want to be with other people in the same industry. My money is made at night therefore it has caused many problems in the past with 9 to 5ers that wanted me to flip my world to make THEM happy.

blah blah

Shoebat
I think pool is a solitary sport. But it can still be something you share...

I have had two longterm relationships with poolplayers. Pool takes a great deal of concentration and thinking, and you can't be spending all of your time thinking about your partner if you want to play pool.

So share the interest, the knowledge, the gossip, the stories and the lessons, but don't try to make your poolplaying partner the focus of your attention at the poolroom. Don't try to force them to spend all of their attention on you, either.

Let them do their thing, you do your thing, and you guys can talk about it after.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
flower child?

Let them do their thing, you do your thing, and you guys can talk about it after.

Sounds real sixties! Still the same deal though, you can't focus on competition and somebody else too, you are spot on correct.

I play pool on a date sometimes, I don't play pool.

Hu

Das928

Banned
My wife and I shoot 9ball APA on Sunday nights. I enjoy spending the time with her. but I do like my space as well. I play on another league without her. it isnt to bad but we both can be very difficult to be around at times

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one pool player in the family works out well. It is really cool when both parties love pool, though, so that they can enjoy it together, but when there's two serious players as a couple, it can cause problems in various situations. :grin-square:

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met my wife at a pool hall, she was filling in for a friend (my wife didn't really work there though). I talked to her friend and she hooked us up, that was almost 4 years ago now. Been married for 1 1/2 years, she likes playing pool because I do. She never played before we met. Since she likes playing that helps us a lot because I spend a lot of time at the pool hall with and without her. I wouldn't want it any other way because if she didn't like pool I doubt I would be playing plus she is hot :grin:

dlabout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met my wife 20 years ago in a pool hall. We have played leagues together and apart. After being married 15 years I wouldn't trade it for the world. You meet all the nice girls at the pool hall.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
My wife understands my need for pool. Doesnt like it all the time but gets it. I like pool so much that it turns her off of it. Anyways its still tough though. She comes first but she has to understand that pool has to have some of my time too.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
My wife plays in league pool one night a week now. We have played together more than one night but one night seems to suit her best. I like to play more often than she does. She enjoyes the social game, paperwork and money collection of league play. I enjoy playing and teaching. It is a nice way to spend some time with each other among friends.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
My experience.
40+ years playing pool and 30+ years being married to the same woman. She saw me play pool once when we were dating. She doesn't smoke and didn't like to be around smoke filled pool halls.

I think pool has gained some in reputation because of the women that have started to play in leagues and tournaments. They add some respect to the element that just wasn't there prior.

Seems like the bathrooms are kept much cleaner than in the past also. :smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Seems like the bathrooms are kept much cleaner than in the past also. :smile:

Amen to that. Years ago, the pool room I used to go in, they could have taken the urinal out of the men's room and put a tree trunk in there. It would have still looked and smelled the same. :eek:

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks To Henny Yougman,,,,,!!

My present girlfriend is a pool player and we've been together for 3 years,,,,If my wife finds out, she's gonna kill me !!

On more of a serious side,,,,i could never see guys that are crazy for this game to say,,,,''I would love to have a pool table at home , but my wife won't allow it""....

C'mon ladies,,,,a pool table is cheap fun, brings family and friends together and keeps your man home,,{ some nights, anyway}......

Help out the pool economy and let your 'ole man get a toy !!!

.....Alan..........

akaMe

Alicia
I don't really play pool, here and there for my own personal fun. It works well for me and Jeremy this way, especially since he is in deep concentration when he is practicing...you know, it is his job. I support him of course in anything he wants to do. The x-factor gets old though :wink:

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife and I started playing in the german league system two years ago.

She loves playing, but is pretty impatient about not winning too often, so she keeps getting kinda upset, if my record is getting better...

it is a lot of fun to share the pool nights, but can be challanging as well.. on our league Sundays, I sometimes focus too much on her game on the next table, or I start holding back a bit on my shooting, if we play against each other... but still I am happy that she also plays, since it gives us some time together...