Sportmanship at US Open

showtime

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am a machine

you humans that talk about this bizarre thing called emotions. I am a robot running racks running racks running racks. ooops sorry malfunction:thumbup:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad............

Come on Gene,usually anything you say here, i hold in high regard,but this about blood sugar and the way nevel acted is total bullshit n u no it,so i guess when Larry won his first 10 matches his blood sugar levels were fine,if u r going to try n defend your buddy,try a little harder next time Gene,this isnt going to do it,it makes me mad because i love Larrys game so much,he can do things on the table that no 1 could ever do,he doesnt need to act the way he does,i wish he would get help for it,Larry is losing so many titles because of his demeaner,Gene you r rite about Larry being a nice guy,that he is!

Too bad you couldn't jump into his mind and see what he is going through. I know being diabetic.

Some of those matches that he won getting to where he is at were probably like miracles.

I hope you never become diabetic but if you do you will understand for sure.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I few years ago at BCA in Vegas, Larry was at the Gulyassy booth where Gulyassy was selling his break cues....Larry was practicing on the table...I came up with my wife and asked to try one of his break cues...Afterwards we got to talking to Larry...I asked about jumping balls and he gave me a lot of his time and showed me serval things about how to jump...My wife asked a question and next thing I know he is helping her with her game...Was very polite and very patient with us and gave us a lot of his time and help and asked for nothing in return...Made a very good impression on my wife and I...We stood around for awhile and Larry was helping everyone who would ask a question...That's how I remember Larry....That breaking the shaft incident just doesn't look like the Larry I met..Maybe Diabetis is the cause..I have a team mate who is Diabetic and he has problems with his sugar levels and starts acting weird and goes to buy a candy bar or something to help him get thru the night....
I know I have seen Johnny Archer act a real jerk on serval occasions while playing pool....He even broke his stick over the back of his neck...He's a real poor loser .....
So lets give Larry a little slack this time...I know deep down he is really a decent guy...

sunburn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny thing is Larry is at the open and finished in the top 4 and the ones who think it's a perfect world are ridiculing behind a computer screen. Congrats to Larry on a great finish and to the ones who think emotions don't belong in sports should try the show at the opera.

I agree 150%.

loyarc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shouldn't of cast judgement

Whoever said I cast judgement was correct.

And I suppose I should of just wrote about the situation without specific names.

I stand corrected on that one.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
I'm a big fan of Larry Nevel and was sorry he didn't win the whole thing.

When the field had been narrowed down to the last 24 players, I wanted either Nevel, Kiamco, SVB, Antonio Lining or Shawn Putnam to win the title.

It was great to see how deep Larry went this year. I'm hoping that he does win a U.S. Open 9 Ball Championship some day. He played great this year.

As this is being typed, the field is down to three....Alex, Appleton & Putnam. Of those 3, I'd sure like to see Putnam win it this year.

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will somebody share more details on what happened? I see AZ'rs debating actions that don't seem to be clearly defined. Did he rake one rack? Was he losing 5-0 and raked the set? Please advise.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad you couldn't jump into his mind and see what he is going through. I know being diabetic.

Some of those matches that he won getting to where he is at were probably like miracles.

I hope you never become diabetic but if you do you will understand for sure.

Im diabetic and never noticed any increase in anger since i became one and didnt know one was expected either you friggin idiot!!. Haha -The last 3 words were a joke.

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
We were all rooting for him down here. He's played a few tourneys down here and a lot up on NC that we go to and he is a nice dude until its time to play and it can.be like watching Strickland if it doesn't go his way. I can't believe how well he did seeing how just one ago he flipped his car over coming home from Inman, SC. As soon as he broke his Predator shaft, he was done. Good job Larry.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Will somebody share more details on what happened? I see AZ'rs debating actions that don't seem to be clearly defined. Did he rake one rack? Was he losing 5-0 and raked the set? Please advise.

Smashed his own shaft into pieces after missing. It is falsely claimed in this thread that he finished in the top four, but he, in fact, came 5/6.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smashed his own shaft into pieces after missing. It is falsely claimed in this thread that he finished in the top four, but he, in fact, came 5/6.

He also raked a rack when he was down 9-2 or so and conceded the set.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so everyone knows, Putnam is a diabetic as well!! His actions are not of what Larry's is. I played Larry in the DCC bank tournament several years ago and it came down to the last several balls in the last rack. He was not a gentleman either. He slammed the cue rack, his cue and the balls on/against the table in frustration. And I have seen Larry act the same many other times.

For the record though, I am not condoning or condemning his actions one way or the other. Pool does need people who show personality at the table as opposed to emotionless, robot like, players. But be sure to call a spade a spade though. Larry is a hot-head. Hell, I am too but don't blame it on diabetes.

Gary

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mosconi supposedly said, " good losers are LOSERS."

As SJM said "good losers are GOOD." In the course of a lifetime, there are many defeats, but the ones that always have the dignity to say "nicely played" to their victorious opponents are the ones I admire the most.

Show respect for yourself, your sport and your opponent and you'll help rebuild pool's image.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I don't know Larry, except from what I read about him and from what I see about him. It appears there are many sides to Larry. There is a very kind side of him, and a very emotional side of him. When the emotional side comes up, it appears he's wears that on his sleeve.

I do know from his facebook, that only a week or so ago, that he almost died. He fell asleep at the wheel and is lucky to be alive as his vehicle rolled several times. I would think that would be a pretty traumatic experience, especially since he just got married recently too.

When people act out in a non-conventional way, I try not to judge them, but I try and understand them. Most of us have switches inside that are tripped when we have "extreme" moments that allow us to act in a way that is "normal" for society. While others seem to lack those switches, and when in "extreme" situations, they act in a way that is not acceptable in society.

Larry seems to be of the group sometimes may lack those switches, and in extreme moments, you may see extreme actions. It may take several factors all lining up together, to produce his inappropriate actions. It may be that if this was just the US Open and all the pressure involved with getting to the final 4, maybe everything would have been normal.

But maybe you have the US Open, then you throw in a traumatic event (almost being killed), getting married and all the stress that adds, all within the past month....and maybe then you have a blowup.

I'm not condoning his actions, but sometimes it's good to try to understand what reasons may have contributed to a incident.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
good post!

I don't know Larry, except from what I read about him and from what I see about him. It appears there are many sides to Larry. There is a very kind side of him, and a very emotional side of him. When the emotional side comes up, it appears he's wears that on his sleeve.

I do know from his facebook, that only a week or so ago, that he almost died. He fell asleep at the wheel and is lucky to be alive as his vehicle rolled several times. I would think that would be a pretty traumatic experience, especially since he just got married recently too.

When people act out in a non-conventional way, I try not to judge them, but I try and understand them. Most of us have switches inside that are tripped when we have "extreme" moments that allow us to act in a way that is "normal" for society. While others seem to lack those switches, and when in "extreme" situations, they act in a way that is not acceptable in society.

Larry seems to be of the group sometimes may lack those switches, and in extreme moments, you may see extreme actions. It may take several factors all lining up together, to produce his inappropriate actions. It may be that if this was just the US Open and all the pressure involved with getting to the final 4, maybe everything would have been normal.

But maybe you have the US Open, then you throw in a traumatic event (almost being killed), getting married and all the stress that adds, all within the past month....and maybe then you have a blowup.

I'm not condoning his actions, but sometimes it's good to try to understand what reasons may have contributed to a incident.

A lot of focus on diabetes today so I did a little research. There were probably over twenty-five other diabetics in the Open just looking at statistics. We are talking about one. Can you image if most diabetics couldn't control themselves?

I think we have to consider other factors including personality factors that can be modified. I have seen people "who couldn't control their emotions" show great control when tens of thousands of dollars or their life was on the line! I don't have a bone to pick with Larry or Earl or any pro player. However I think that if patterns of poor behavior are addressed harshly we may find that people can control themselves when the consequences of failing to control themselves impact them severely enough. Not guaranteed but very possible.

Hu

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Sweeping the balls because he was frustrated and getting trounced? In front of everybody at the country's (possibly the planet's) most prestigious event?

What a great display for his sponsor - LOL. An ambassador for a company? Yea right.

The US Open should look hard at sportmanship for next year.

I don't condone, but walk a mile in his shoes.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny......people have off days. Making it that deep and then losing can be really frustrating. That Sh$t happen to me I would just put all the balls in my pocket and walk out.