Joys of cue building :) dont look if you have a weak stomach

BMCC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just thought everyone should know why I am not at work and what a chain and sprocket can do to a finger. To the cue builders Do Not try this one at home as It hurts like hell but not as bad as kidney stones. Anyways they could not reattach it so I am going to have lots of fun healing this one. To help understand what happened I was cleaning chain and towel got caught and finger dragged in to top sprocket so fast I blew my mind. It was a chain driven taper saw that got me.

2.2.jpg

2.3.jpg

chain.jpg

Thanks
Kyle

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
sorry to hear about your finger and I wish you a speedy recovery.

You might want to think about fabricating a guard for that part of the machine.

BTW I work in the printing industry and this is why everything on all of our presses are guarded accidents like this can happen in the blink of a eye.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the lesson learned the hard way, but it looks like it will grow back. I have cut the tips off several fingers by being careless and they have grown back. Sure does look painful, probably gonna be a while for the feeling to come back also..
I'll rep you and maybe it'll feel a little better!!!
Dan

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Damn, Kyle. What the hell were you thinking trying to clean that machine while running? Sorry to see that.

Let me know if you need some help with anything. I'm only a stone throw away.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BMCC said:
I just thought everyone should know why I am not at work and what a chain and sprocket can do to a finger. To the cue builders Do Not try this one at home as It hurts like hell but not as bad as kidney stones. Anyways they could not reattach it so I am going to have lots of fun healing this one. To help understand what happened I was cleaning chain and towel got caught and finger dragged in to top sprocket so fast I blew my mind. It was a chain driven taper saw that got me.

View attachment 86822

View attachment 86823

View attachment 86824

Thanks
Kyle

Commenting in the way I believe you meant this post as a warning and not being critical, rags have no place around "ANY" running machine. Same with loose fitting clothing, ties, even long hair, like mine. I keep it pulled back tight. One of the worst is a rag and a spinning lathe. I have seen guys who were using a rag to polish have it lap it's self and pull a finger out of joint. Paper towels are about all you should use around machines. I hope other learn from your bad experience. I am sorry to see what happened to you.

BMCC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys it was a paper towel so be wear it was the blue paper shop towel roll from Walmart a little heavier than most paper towels. This post is for you guys who have all your fingers beware of even paper towels around machinery and even if you have it on slow speed sometimes even slow speed can hurt you bad as seen here. Not the clearest pic but this is what i lost be careful guy this is not and i am sure not going to be any fun at all.tip.jpg

Thanks for your kind words everyone
Kyle

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of your accident. I made my daughter quit cutting shafts with my saw machine after a couple of close calls.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
macguy said:
Commenting in the way I believe you meant this post as a warning and not being critical, rags have no place around "ANY" running machine. Same with loose fitting clothing, ties, even long hair, like mine. I keep it pulled back tight. One of the worst is a rag and a spinning lathe. I have seen guys who were using a rag to polish have it lap it's self and pull a finger out of joint. Paper towels are about all you should use around machines. I hope other learn from your bad experience. I am sorry to see what happened to you.
people always aks me why i'm out my shop in a shortsleeve tshirt
i've got heat, but i use it very sparingly
power tools of any kind and sleeves dont mix
i dont wear any rings, watches or anything on my hands
i was born with ten fingers, plan on departing with ten fingers
KNOCK ON WOOD

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
The pain will only last for a short time............the memory will last a life time.

Safety should be everyones number one priority at all times...100% of the time.

<~~~sorry about the lesson you have served for us all............

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
plastic gloves and a lathe don't mix

a friend was working on a cue years ago. he didn't want to get his hands dirty so he had on a pair of thin plastic gloves. one wrapped around itself on the lathe and he was happy to get away with just one finger being pulled out of joint before the gloves ripped apart. he was very happy that was all that happened!

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
My wife suffered a similar severed finger tip injury when in college. Today, you can't even tell. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Mr H

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
BMCC said:
Guys it was a paper towel so be wear it was the blue paper shop towel roll from Walmart a little heavier than most paper towels. This post is for you guys who have all your fingers beware of even paper towels around machinery and even if you have it on slow speed sometimes even slow speed can hurt you bad as seen here. Not the clearest pic but this is what i lost be careful guy this is not and i am sure not going to be any fun at all.View attachment 86836

Thanks for your kind words everyone
Kyle
i think that picture is blurry cuz the camera is crying
wish you a speedy recovery

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ho ho ho, that makes the hair in my neck stand straight !!!
I'm very bad with blood, and was one of those kids which had to lye down
going to the doctor for a blood sample.

But one comfort is that it didn't go worse.
My uncle was working with his tractor where the power outlet on the back caught his overalls leg/foot.
If it wasn't because he was so strong in his arms and grabbed the tubes holding the roof of the tractor (and not let go), he would not seen daylight
again. The tractor pulled of his foot bellow his knee and my aunt could hear him scream all the way back to their house...

I hope you recover without to much problems and you would be able to continue with you're cue work!

Kent

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to see that you have had an injury.
There are alot of machines without gaurds on. They are only dangerous whem you get close to them.
People often believe the myth that using a papertowel is safe.
Drill presses catch alot of hair and scalp several people a year.
I am not in favour of cleaning machines while they are running. I can see why people try, but I am too chicken.
I have worked on some machines that are not gaurded, and always feel uncomfortable and cautious. So far, I still have all my digits. I hope to keep it that way.
All too often something happens, and most people I have talked to about their incidents, say one thing in common, man it was quick.
Neil

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kyle; a few months ago I was making pickles. My hand slipped off of the cucumber & into the slicer. Luckely I had it set for a little under a 1/4". Through the nail & finger tip like it was butter. There was that pretty white bone tip lookin' right at me. At the hospital they cauterized the whole tip, with sulfer. It turned the tip black & stopped the bleeding instantly. The worst part was gettin' the tip of my finger stuck with that needle, about 5 times. Does that sound familliar?...JER
P.S. by the way the tip & nail grew back, but cold weather makes it hurt, like hell!

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sucks, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully It will grow back Like some people have mentioned. I lost about that much off of a finger and a toe, two separate incidents, but they did both grow back. They both happened when I was in My 20's or younger though, so I don't know how much age can play into It growing back.

Getting a finger caught in a sprocket looks like It hurts like hell though. Mine were both grinded off, so was a little different. The toe I was riding a moped That me a friend got running to sell. I was test riding It barefooted on a rocky asphalt road, and for some stupid reason was peddling while It was running, and My foot got wedged between the road and the peddle, grinded My big toe down right through the nail like that. Another time I was using a large hand grinder without a guard, and a super coarse grinding disc, when I was gripping the handle I ended up touching a finger to It, and It zipped that right down also. Both incidents went at least half way through the nail or more, and It took quite a bit of time, but they did grow back eventually.

I have a customer and buddy, that was working on a motorcycle and got his hand caught in a sprocket. He didn't fair as well though, and lost a couple of fingers completely. Years after He lost more on a table saw. Surprising but he actually plays pool pretty well considering he doesn't have as much to bridge with as most of us.

Long hair sleeves and all that stuff is bad around lathes as already mentioned. I cut My long hair off about ten years ago. I had hair half way down My back for many years, then realized a few things, not only with working around machines, but It's a pain in the ass to keep washed all the time, It's hot down here where I live, and God forbid, If You ever get into a scuffle It's easy to control someone's head using their hair as a handle for leverage.

The gloves aren't good around a lathe either. I was a little clouded one night working on the lathe, had a brain fart, and put some latex gloves on to keep My hands from getting messy. Luckily I didn't dislocate MY finger, but that latex really sticks quickly to a work piece, and I came close to It. I pulled My hand out just as It was starting to wrap MY finger, the latex snapped and I got My finger out in the nick of time. I'll never wear any kind of gloves on a running lathe again.

Anyway Mine grew back as I mentioned, but they were grounded down somewhat cleanly, and I never even went to the ER. That sprocket looked Liked It chewed It up pretty good, so I imagine It could be a little different situation.

Here's hoping It heals quickly, the pain in minimal, and does not last long.

Greg