Construction pics

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Lots of folks have asked about scallops & how they are made. I try to explain it but not sure if it really ever makes sense. So here's a few pics to show how they're assembled. This is a friend's cue I took pics of to show him how I built it. Figured i'd show it here for fun and to give a visual of the things I have explained to many folks.

First I have to cut the bevels and then glue on the stock:
jr001.jpg

Then turned round results in:
jr002.jpg

Offset 22.5 degrees & repeat:
jr003.jpg

Resulting in:
jr004.jpg

Now recut over all of those & repeat process:
jr005.jpg

Resulting in a butt sleeve with scallops:
jr006.jpg

Each 4 cut & glues require 24hr. curing period before moving to next step. So this butt sleeve required 4 days of cutting & gluing. Seemingly simple & insignificant things sometimes aren't as simple as they seem.

The rest of the cue, with a forearm matching but v-groove points instead of scallops:
jrcue001.jpg

jr10010.jpg

jrcue004.jpg

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
i guess that is why not many people do it.......eric keep up the great work....you da man.....mickey

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now the market will be flooded with scalloped cues. :grin:

Glen

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric, Your friend really has a sweet cue. Thanks for posting construction pics as they are always great to see and especially for a process not a lot of cue makers are doing. Beautiful stuff.

Kevin

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sugartree

That's just out of control crazy.
(and yes, I am jealous)

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice illustration of the building of a beautiful cue. Eric is the MAN! Thanks for sharing your secrets.

Dave

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of folks have asked about scallops & how they are made. I try to explain it but not sure if it really ever makes sense. So here's a few pics to show how they're assembled. This is a friend's cue I took pics of to show him how I built it. Figured i'd show it here for fun and to give a visual of the things I have explained to many folks.

First I have to cut the bevels and then glue on the stock:
jr001.jpg

Then turned round results in:
jr002.jpg

Offset 22.5 degrees & repeat:
jr003.jpg

Resulting in:
jr004.jpg

Now recut over all of those & repeat process:
jr005.jpg

Resulting in a butt sleeve with scallops:
jr006.jpg

Each 4 cut & glues require 24hr. curing period before moving to next step. So this butt sleeve required 4 days of cutting & gluing. Seemingly simple & insignificant things sometimes aren't as simple as they seem.

The rest of the cue, with a forearm matching but v-groove points instead of scallops:
jrcue001.jpg

jr10010.jpg

jrcue004.jpg
Great work there Eric!!!!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Thanks yall for the kind words. Nothing secret or tough to figure out for other builders. Fortunately (and I appreciate it) most have allowed me to keep the design element to myself. I often get asked, "why do scalloped cues cost so much more?" or "how do you do that?" So I figured i'd show a few pics. Very much similar in principle to points, and exactly like butterflies, just on a much more compact scale. The tricky part is keeping everything in place while I wrap/bind the scallops until the glue cures. Then keeping everything on center so they come out even length.

I built the cue a year or two ago for a friend who always seems to do a lot more for me than I get to do for him. I think he likes it well enough. His next one will be better.

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's real purdy...

Extreme patience and a whole lot of trial and error to get to that. Incredible work Eric.

Thanks for sharing,
Chris

yuri_b17

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...simple yet complicated work...and very elegant as well...nice work there...as always...

Eric...by there any chance that you've got my emails...thanks

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
...simple yet complicated work...and very elegant as well...nice work there...as always...

Eric...by there any chance that you've got my emails...thanks

Probably. I'll look for them. My gmail is overloading with junk, which kinda defeats the purpose of switching to gmail from hotmail. I'm fighting with sorting through the actual junk mail to weed it out, and fighting with my spam net that seems to be rejecting legitimate emails coming from an overseas IP or addys that I don't communicate with often. I'm sure there's an easy fix but i'm a computer idiot. I'll look for them LOL

yuri_b17

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...thanks...looking forward in hearing from you then regarding our past conversation about a build...

...still longing to grab one from you...