A plea to CSI regarding SVB vs Ko

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
If its alternate breaks then the shorter race
will suffice, but there would still be unanswered questions.

That is the problem. We have been waiting a LONG time to see these two do battle. The last thing we should have when the dust settles is unanswered questions. This match should answer the questions many of us have long asked, is SVB really the best of the best. If he beats Ko handily in a race to 50 it will answer the question for once and for all as Ko is one of the truly elite players in Asia and is said to be one of the few that has a break that can nearly match SVB's.

Race to 21 simply will not answer the questions, it will be a fun match to watch, but not solve anything as far as finally determining who is the best. It is too short a race when you are dealing with guys who can put huge packages out like both of these guys can. A set like a race to 21 could conceivably be over in 3-4 turns at the table if either player gets a hot start. In a race to 50 both players are going to get their chances to shine and show us what they can do.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
My brother Celtic is right again. 50 would be great! 40 I feel would be a nice compromise if time is an issue.

Nick.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Race to 21 s fine if it's alt break. If winner breaks 21 is too short for these two guys. Whoever jumps to a 3 or 4 game lead will probably win. johnnyt

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesnt matter

The race being 21, 50, 75, 100 it doesnt matter. All it ever proves is the person that wins that race was the best that day, nothing more.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I don't think time is an issue.

My brother Celtic is right again. 50 would be great! 40 I feel would be a nice compromise if time is an issue.

Nick.

It took Shane what? 4.5 hrs to get to 50 against nikos?

At most you're looking at 6-6.5 hours...

Jaden

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also agree that the race should be longer than 21.

As evidenced by the lack of USA/ Asia match ups to date, they don't happen often an it would be a real shame, IMO, to not allow these 2 great players to stretch their legs.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
even 35 would be good.

I would also agree that the race should be longer than 21.

As evidenced by the lack of USA/ Asia match ups to date, they don't happen often an it would be a real shame, IMO, to not allow these 2 great players to stretch their legs.

If you think about it, when Shane played Alex on the tight tar table, he would have lost the first night going to 21, but ended up winning going to 35 because of the 7 pack he put on him to close out the night.

21 may be too short, but even 35 would be better than 21.

Jaden

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
IMO. Ko has a better chance in a shorter race.

^^^and that is the problem^^^

Most if us want to see who us truly the best, not who can win this particular relatively short race if they get a good start.

If SVB is truly that much better lets see a race to 50 and put this to rest. if either guy wins by 20 it will say something. if the match goes 50-48 either way then these guys are clearly close. Nothing in a race to 21 is going to settle much for either guy win or lose regardless of the score. We already saw Ko beat SVB in a race to 11 for about 30k, it answered nothing. A race to 50 will settle stuff.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
To some extent long races are overrated.
Usually one guy just gets mad and depressed seeing Shane do his thing.
Once that happens, it's effectively over. An extra 30 racks is just dragging it out.

That's why the score was so lopsided in SVB vs. Nick.
I mean, of course Shane played perfect.
But Nick is capable of coming within 10 or 15 racks.
Getting blown out by 30 racks and never running more than a single measly 2-pack
is the result of Nick getting mad... you could see it when he bounced the cue ball off the slate
or raked three remaining balls after a tough miss.

All that being said, Ko and SVB is a tough game to arrange.
It would be a waste if Ko flies 14 hours, and ends up playing for only 3.
I'd want to get more bang for my buck.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I just want it to be a longer set because I fly in that night and I don't want to miss it all.

Playin4Dinner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with op and majority here...

I feel a 5 hr set would be good.... maybe to 35???

Another option that would keep ko and viewers in the game would be

Race to 15, best of 3 sets... (Might exceed 5 hours if it goes 3 sets)

I just want to add, viewership increased 500+ more viewers AFTER svb stretched lead to 20+ games... I expected it to drop off, but I feel people find it fascinating to see rotation executed at this level...

Seeing Svb in beast mode, two stroking through racks is the closest thing to vintage earl that we will probably ever see...

Imho, the tempo/fluidity showed by earl/svb is the ONLY way rotation should be played at this level...

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Obviously a longer set will show who's the better player. If they were to play a best of three sets for instance someone could win and potentially be one game winner overall, yeah that makes for a nice day for the people watching and it shows the two players are real close but one or very few games is not what people want to see. For those that want to see who is the better player and not who breaks better or who can continously run rack after rack better make it loser breaks. But that takes away from people getting to see a guy string a lot of racks together. The fact that it's a short race and is going on during the tournament is for the spectators mostly, not to determine who is the better player.

Everyone always says how the games with Shane are gonna be close but that's the ones wanting to bet on Shane. Surely people really didn't think he was gonna win by 7 games recently, or what ever the line was. Someone said he was up about 2-1 in the beginning so I'll take Ko for $200 if they play to 21 and if he gets to 11 I win.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
The break is part of being a better player...

Obviously a longer set will show who's the better player. If they were to play a best of three sets for instance someone could win and potentially be one game winner overall, yeah that makes for a nice day for the people watching and it shows the two players are real close but one or very few games is not what people want to see. For those that want to see who is the better player and not who breaks better or who can continously run rack after rack better make it loser breaks. But that takes away from people getting to see a guy string a lot of racks together. The fact that it's a short race and is going on during the tournament is for the spectators mostly, not to determine who is the better player.

I'm tired of all this, it's the break, it's the break, get rid of the break...

The break is part of being a better player. If you can't break well, then you can't win...

If someone breaks perfect, they still have to play practically perfect for it to matter.

I break fantastically and still lose...I can't count how many people have said "If I had your break...".

Jaden

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I'm tired of all this, it's the break, it's the break, get rid of the break...

The break is part of being a better player. If you can't break well, then you can't win...

If someone breaks perfect, they still have to play practically perfect for it to matter.

I break fantastically and still lose...I can't count how many people have said "If I had your break...".

Jaden

It's not just the break, but who breaks and shoots batter than Shane? I like the winner break myself but I have heard lots of people say that very thing. Hell they run a lot of tournaments around here that are loser breaks just for that reason. Could even be chaser breaks who knows.

CSI - Ozzy

Banned
Funny

This thread is funny to me. Perhaps football games should be 12 quarters so we can really see who is the best team. I've seen teams win and lose because there wasn't enough time for one team to catch up so let's extend it.

You see, this is one reason pool hasn't progressed. No one wants intensity, parody, and excitement. Ask yourself, would rather see one match with a 50-21 final score or a match with a 21-20 score with a rematch pending?

The match is set and we will do whats best for pool. Thanks for talking!

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
This thread is funny to me. Perhaps football games should be 12 quarters so we can really see who is the best team. I've seen teams win and lose because there wasn't enough time for one team to catch up so let's extend it.

You see, this is one reason pool hasn't progressed. No one wants intensity, parody, and excitement. Ask yourself, would rather see one match with a 50-21 final score or a match with a 21-20 score with a rematch pending?

Yeah, way to be a buzz kill. That's minus one point for the new guy. Good to see you recognize your audience and know how to make people feel appreciated. Nice job.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm pretty sure you used "parody" wrong here but I might be erroneous and misguided. :sorry:

And... I agree with the majority here. A longer race would be better.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Yeah...

Yeah, way to be a buzz kill. That's minus one point for the new guy. Good to see you recognize your audience and know how to make people feel appreciated. Nice job.

It would've been much smarter from a business perspective to say something along the lines of "We appreciate the input and will considerate it for future reference".

Instead, we get "You people are foolish, we'll do what we want, go take a long walk off a short pier"...

Jaden