Against the vulgarity and filthy language

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Nice list and reminder, _sur.

Not to be forgotten on this list:

Brian Regan

I don't know those comedians. I better search them out.
What about Jerry Clower ?
Justin Wilson did say "Som-*****" from time to time, but I may be confusing him with Jackie Gleason as B.T. Justice

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
WTF! :thumbup:
Just kidding folks. I know that bad language is frowned on in this forum so I'm very careful about using it and if need be I block out a letter or two to diffuse the word. What's far worse here is when someone begins to denigrate and belittle someone else whose opinion they disagree with. That happens far more often here and it should be moderated when it does.

If you ever saw the movie Pool Hall Junkies every other word was the F word. I can remember when 'Louie, Louie' was a hit record and many stations wouldn't play it because they said, "He got her way down low." How times have changed! Now anything goes and vulgarity is part of our everyday life. Again what's far worse is the gratuitous violence we see on a daily basis in the news, in movies and on TV. Probably half of what passes for entertainment today consists of people shooting other people with guns.

I would never allow rap music on my juke box in my poolroom. PERIOD!
And I wouldn't let my vendor install violent video games either. I don't care to be part of the problem. I'm still such a prude that I don't like to see rude behavior in public. If someone gets out of line around me (not necessarily toward me either) I will say something to shut them down. I know I'm taking a chance on having them turn on me, but I just won't put up with it. I learned long ago that speaking the truth has power!

FYI one of the toughest guys I ever knew around the poolroom was Danny Diliberto. Believe me he could knock you out with one punch and he did it on several occasions when someone acted aggressively toward him. Danny is not a big guy either. He fought welterweight when he boxed. But you may not know that Danny NEVER cusses. I've never heard him say a swear word and I've known him over fifty years!

As for me, I will cuss if it's the right time and place to give emphasis to something I need heard. Like in an argument, there may be a time when a cuss word conveys better how you feel. I've done it and will probably do it again and make no excuses for that. Otherwise I'm meek as a lamb. :)

Funny you mention that song. Somebody at work said that Sam the Sham is another coworker's uncle. I think he made a career from one or two hits. Now someone will say he didn't cut Louie Louie, lol I can't remember.
Nice to know some people are non-cursers. I have a problem with cursing.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Funny you mention that song. Somebody at work said that Sam the Sham is another coworker's uncle. I think he made a career from one or two hits. Now someone will say he didn't cut Louie Louie, lol I can't remember.
Nice to know some people are non-cursers. I have a problem with cursing.

Louie Louie. Hated it then. Hate it now. One of the dumbest/most obnoxious sounds to be broadcast. Heard it today while playing pool.
Language. I use it when working on a project ... wife asks what’s wrong.... what’s with the language. I tell her it’s part of the job.
Language.... movie Reservoir Dogs. Could not get past the first 15 minutes

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing pool last Sunday morning in Hawaiian Brian's and the music was driving me crazy. It was 6:00 A.M. and the bartender was playing the most hardcore rap imaginable. It was F this F that N-word every other word and he had it blasting so loud that you could feel the bass vibrations from the speakers in your body.

I told him to turn it down several times.

If he is playing the same crap tomorrow morning, I'm going to really let him know what I think about it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I was playing pool last Sunday morning in Hawaiian Brian's and the music was driving me crazy. It was 6:00 A.M. and the bartender was playing the most hardcore rap imaginable. It was F this F that N-word every other word and he had it blasting so loud that you could feel the bass vibrations from the speakers in your body.

If he is playing the same crap tomorrow morning, I'm going to really let him know what I think about it.

I hear you. I go to a couple pool rooms, thankfully, in the daytime. The music is pretty normal, and kept to a reasonable level. Fortunately, the daytime is middle age retired folks, such as myself. Only one time recently did I hear some foul-mouthed rap music, and one of the groups quickly told the bartendress to change it to something else. She quickly did. Middle age folks rule. And foul mouthed musics sucks. Uh oh, did I use a swear word there...

All the best,
WW

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF! :thumbup:
Just kidding folks. I know that bad language is frowned on in this forum so I'm very careful about using it and if need be I block out a letter or two to diffuse the word. What's far worse here is when someone begins to denigrate and belittle someone else whose opinion they disagree with. That happens far more often here and it should be moderated when it does.

If you ever saw the movie Pool Hall Junkies every other word was the F word. I can remember when 'Louie, Louie' was a hit record and many stations wouldn't play it because they said, "He got her way down low." How times have changed! Now anything goes and vulgarity is part of our everyday life. Again what's far worse is the gratuitous violence we see on a daily basis in the news, in movies and on TV. Probably half of what passes for entertainment today consists of people shooting other people.

I would never allow rap music on my juke box in my poolroom. PERIOD!
And I wouldn't let my vendor install violent video games either. I don't care to be part of the problem. I'm still such a prude that I don't like to see rude behavior in public. If someone gets out of line around me (not necessarily toward me either) I will say something to shut them down. I know I'm taking a chance on having them turn on me, but I just won't put up with it. I learned long ago that speaking the truth has power!

FYI one of the toughest guys I ever knew around the poolroom was Danny Diliberto. Believe me he could knock you out with one punch and he did it on several occasions when someone acted aggressively toward him. Danny is not a big guy either. He fought welterweight when he boxed. But you may not know that Danny NEVER cusses. I've never heard him say a swear word and I've known him over fifty years!

As for me, I will cuss if it's the right time and place to give emphasis to something I need heard. Like in an argument, there may be a time when a cuss word conveys better how you feel. I've done it and will probably do it again and make no excuses for that. Otherwise I'm meek as a lamb. :)

Well said Jay!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that when I sit on my high horse, I like to judge people on all sorts of stuff.

If they use profanity, they must be terrible people.
If they arent dressed up to my standards, they must be too lazy to work.
They cant be a man if they dont smoke the same cigarettes as me...
Etc, etc etc

Theres nothing like being judgemental. It helps me feel better about myself, and superior to other people all at the same time. :eek::thumbup:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Lay off Louie-Louie

To go a bit off the original topic..but Louie-Louie is not a "dirty" song. Ron Ely, the lead singer of the Kingsmen has tried to set the record straight many times. The song was recorded in a Portland, Oregon studio. The microphone for the singer was hung high, so he had to practically shout the lyrics. He'd also just had braces tightened. According to him, not one cuss word in the entire track.

Hear it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-8_GI4d2c

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that when I sit on my high horse, I like to judge people on all sorts of stuff.

Etc, etc etc

Theres nothing like being judgemental. It helps me feel better about myself, and superior to other people all at the same time. :eek::thumbup:

This^^^^^^

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This a great thread. Really got me thinking about how one should act on a open forum. We can all get our points across without diving into the gutter.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are just words.. but in our delicate I get offended by everything in the world I don’t agree with environment we have created a thread like this on an open Internet forum doesn’t surprise me. There are plenty of people on here who post that I just scroll by and ignore. If a few words that you consider naughty offend you maybe the internet isn’t for you. Maybe your local church or Jewish community center will put in a table so you don’t have to listen to the filthy unintelectual language of the common man.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Forbin Why do you complain about scantily clad women avatars yet yours of a scantily clad man is OK???
Double standard?? I'm out of this discussion, Mitch

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
My .02

There is a time and a place for everything.

It seems to me that is may be age related. I was raised in a manner that saw to it that you were not deliberately vulgar in mixed company or children.
You also didn't dare swear anywhere that your mother might hear it.

Some folks do know me in person. I am no saint.
For example, while driving. If you do something stupid on the road....I may very well say things that will make the most seasoned of you blush.

On the regular AZB news feed:
Why don't you see vulgar language used ? So-n-so F'n won that match etc??

Because it is inappropriate, that's why.

Forum shouldn't be any different. What you write here will show up on Google and other searches as long as it lasts. You don't know who is reading this and like it or not, this is part of a business.

Walk into any other business and start swearing in front of their patrons and you may be asked to leave. Not terribly different here.

For the people that see it as the rest of the world needs to toughen up etc....weak excuse. You won't get a pass.

For the folks that expect a church like atmosphere...worried about a girl in a bikini...No dice. I have to please as many people as possible. I'm not a puritan and neither are 99.9% of the rest of us.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Etc, etc etc

Well said Sir, well said!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My .02

There is a time and a place for everything.

It seems to me that is may be age related. I was raised in a manner that saw to it that you were not deliberately vulgar in mixed company or children.
You also didn't dare swear anywhere that your mother might hear it.

Some folks do know me in person. I am no saint.
For example, while driving. If you do something stupid on the road....I may very well say things that will make the most seasoned of you blush.

On the regular AZB news feed:
Why don't you see vulgar language used ? So-n-so F'n won that match etc??

Because it is inappropriate, that's why.

Forum shouldn't be any different. What you write here will show up on Google and other searches as long as it lasts. You don't know who is reading this and like it or not, this is part of a business.

Walk into any other business and start swearing in front of their patrons and you may be asked to leave. Not terribly different here.

For the people that see it as the rest of the world needs to toughen up etc....weak excuse. You won't get a pass.

For the folks that expect a church like atmosphere...worried about a girl in a bikini...No dice. I have to please as many people as possible. I'm not a puritan and neither are 99.9% of the rest of us.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Most ridiculous thing I ever heard: Rap= music

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member

Etc, etc etc

?? So some listen to garbage for music, have poor tastes in clothing, rolling on 24's with a big beat, don't forget the fat blunt.

Doesn't mean I'm better if I kick it old school bra, just a lot smarter. No judging here. They will figure it out when money quits falling through that hole in their pocket.

What became of having respect for the elders ?
Sorry bout the ruffled feathers.