Against the vulgarity and filthy language

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Um, welcome to the internet?

This board is already a safe space for the delicate.
I assume this forum allows the sensitive to block posts by people they find offensive. That may be your chance at a solution.

Best of luck to you.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean, many years ago I found the same to be true here on AZ. So I stopped looking at the sections containing non-pool talk and guess what? No more foul language and very little anger. So you have to ask yourself: why discuss non-pool topics on a pool forum when you know you are going to get this behavior? There are plenty of forums for discussing any topic in the world in a civil manner.

Go to one of those.

Better still- go to your local coffee shop (where I am now) and talk face to face with live human beings. Or give me a call - I will talk about almost anything and promise no filthy language.

Good luck.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom player's are 100 percent the opposite
Always gentlemanlike, always having fun, even with the person they are playing with

Carom isn't a battle like pool player's make thier games out to be
It's more about what can you do at the table

To hell with pool, it's toxic culture and ever increasingly quick easy games

I do not play carom, sir, and this is my exact approach to the game.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I will REALLY make some of the younger crowd furious with this...but here we go. Just my opinion and I will not participate in any "back and forths" about it.
I believe it all is a result of the glorification and proliferation of rap music (?) lyrics.
I saw some comments by one of that genre, Eminem, on the web and he couldn't express a coherent thought without F this and F that, etc.
Only my opinion....and yes, I am old and 'don't matter to the world'. I can still express an opinion though.
:thumbup:

I will chime in and say that RAP is CRAP!

Other than the handful of rap songs that are catchy and witty, 99% of it is vile, crude, mumbo-jumbo that shouldn't even be classified as music, in any shape or form.

I can't stand listening to it or even watching the performers on the TV with the sound off.

How rap can ever win an award baffles me.

It shows how far society has fallen.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Other than the handful of rap songs that are catchy and witty, 99% of it is vile, crude, mumbo-jumbo that shouldn't even be classified as music, in any shape or form.

I can't stand listening to it or even watching the performers on the TV with the sound off.

Agreed
It is cause for the toxic culture I speak of by glorifying childish behavior

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah everyone knows you can't spell CRAP without RAP

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Back in the 50's..60's..70's and even the 80's you'd never hear a "F bomb" in any song.
Groups back then sang shoo-be-do and do-wop.. Now it's f da' b**** and shoot da' cop.

Sorry HawaiianEye and deanoc... just trying to make a point here.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
It’s not so much the language. You might hear that sort of talk anywhere,
it’s common, and generally some is acceptable everyday language.

For me it’s the general incivility that some of us would appear to have for each other.

We have this thing in common that we do, it’s a common ground and frankly there
aren’t many of us left, but if we disagree that seems to give license to be
disrespectful and petty to the point of hatred.

You’d think we could have a civil conversation and offer different perspectives and
opinions without the insults, name calling, and general disrespect, sadly, that isn’t
always the case.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the comments in the action room
especially concerning the one handed spot shot action

if anyone finds this less that sickening i will be surprised

to keep us focused,I am talking about in print obscene language like this

it is sickening

for most of my life i have tried toguard myself from this
strangely enough ,in person most people have shown me respect in the pool room
in this regard

many have mentioned it to me and not a few of the lowest creeps have decided i was a square
as a result i have been the reciptant of language bullying which led to pool games

many the foul mouth pool bum has paid their good money to me

it was one of my secrets to taking off so many legendary scores

back between 1980 to 200 i went without many losses while busting hundreds of pool players

What's the thread in the Action Room? I went back 15 pages and couldn't find it and a search comes up with nothing. I'd like to see for myself what's so upsetting.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the thread in the Action Room? I went back 15 pages and couldn't find it and a search comes up with nothing. I'd like to see for myself what's so upsetting.
He has to be talking about post #433 in the Action Room Update thread

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
While I do agree with the OP, and I do miss the "days gone by", there's also the "on the other hand" thought.
Words can't really hurt you (unless you let them - either emotionally or mentally).
And as much as I do love technology - there's pros and cons to most thing - and hiding behind a keyboard is not an exception. IMO there's a lot less respect for others and life in general now than there was 50 years ago. Part of that is the technology I think. Kids today are so over-exposed to a very cold and harsh existence. Be it the "shoot-em-up" video games and movies - or the sadly growing culture of mass shootings in real life. It's not something an individual can change on a global scale - but as a culture, parents need to take a more active role in overseeing their children's upbringing. Not an easy task with both parents working - or single parents, and I don't have any easy answers. Just something that's crossed my mind.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, seeing as how the places that forbid both profanity and modern music are all horrible, I don't really mind overhearing some bad language now and then or even all the time, if that is what it takes not to end up like Raqqa under IS. That is what "morality" gets you, a hell on earth, where people get murdered in savage ways for completely harmless "infractions" that have been arbitrarily determined to be so, in a savage era of human history. If pool hall language offends you, stay in church. Lock yourself in your basement and never come out. Better cut those naughty verses out of your bible too, just to be sure. That one in Ezekiel comes to mind.

I've done a complete 180 on my attitude in the past. I used to be for dress codes and strict codes of conduct etc. Now I don't care. If you want to wear a neon green tracksuit with orange shoes and a backwards cap, go right ahead. I'll wear what I like, and you can wear what you like. The same goes for language, so long as it is not directed at people in a threatening manner.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Flemming just said what the "hell is going on here", it made me laugh.
Shocking to hear him say that, but not offended.
If you don't like the way someone is talking use your words and let
them know.
hugs
mrs. g
omygosh Pat perfect timing, such a class act guy, would never be upset with
what he said.

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Far worse than the foul language are the avatars and signatures full of photos of scantily clad women. That kind of stuff reflects the broader culture that alienates women and youths from these forums and the game.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Far worse than the foul language are the avatars and signatures full of photos of scantily clad women. That kind of stuff reflects the broader culture that alienates women and youths from these forums and the game.

bwahahahah:thumbup:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Maybe its because im not on here as much as I used to be but I haven't seen anything vulgar...thats one reason I don't venture into the NPR tho. For those that like slander they need look no further lol...If copy and paste cost money those folks would be broke :eek::rotflmao1: Can anyone imagine gambling on a pool table with some of the inteletic that lurks in there

I actually thought this thread was about pool rooms and the commentary you hear in some of them. Some are as nasty as some commentators are one sided.