Alternate break is ruining pool

Hobo

Banned
Let's get rid of ball In hand while we are at it.
There you go Hobo.... A new topic for you to stir up the outhouse.

I'm a fan of ball in hand...otherwise you get people just bar hooking you all the time. I am not a fan of however:

• The diamonds on the table
  • Jump cues
  • The rest
  • I also don't like when players use their cue to measure shots...ie the mirror system.
  • The cue should not be allowed as a measuring device...nor should it be allowed to be used to figure out angles.
  • Players should also not be allowed to go down and aim at the contact point on the object ball and do practice strokes before a cut shot...just because its annoying.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a fan of ball in hand...otherwise you get people just bar hooking you all the time. I am not a fan of however:

• Jump cues
  • The rest
  • I also don't like when players use their cue to measure shots...ie the mirror system.
  • The cue should not be allowed as a measuring device...nor should it be allowed to be used to figure out angles.
  • Players should also not be allowed to go down and aim at the contact point on the object ball and do practice strokes before a cut shot...just because its annoying.
Is this Justin386 back from the dead?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And at the same token, opponent racks is a problem also. Then you have players excessively checking racks, asking and getting multiple re racks. And complaints about how the opponent is racking. I've seen it many times.... In my local tournaments, as well as pro tournaments.

That's why I like some different flavors added. Some if not most of the rules that are advocated come from bar room bangers. Bar room rules that were designed to keep drunks from fighting each other. I like to play tournaments with different ways to do it.

Let's get rid of ball In hand while we are at it.
There you go Hobo.... A new topic for you to stir up the outhouse.

That's well said. Rack for each other causes problems, too.

While it may not be practical to have a neutral racker on every table, it should be mandatory on the stream/TV table in the late rounds. Once a tournament is down to four players, after which all matches are usually on the stream/TV table, there ought to be someone who both racks the balls and referees the match. Inspection of the racks is allowed, but no reracks allowed, just like at the Mosconi Cup.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Not a good comparison. Boxers don't sit while their opponent does his thing, until he misses a punch and then gets to be punched.

Look at ANY POPULAR sporting match in games other than pool. Is there any of this "scorer (or winner of a game in a match) shoots again"? No. For a reason. It's boring as hell to at least half of the spectators, if there would many spectators....wait, you don't suppose that pool with almost zero spectators....nah...couldn't be....

Jeff Livingston

You are proving our point - the Derby and US Open have WAY more spectators than AB events.
Thank you
Jason

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..,

Kind of like bowlers needing to string strikes to win. And it's a lot harder to break and run a rack of 9-Ball then it is to make a strike.

There is no reason not to play winner breaks in Ten Ball! It's not easy to put racks together at this game, unless your name is Shane. :D

Well Jay the problem with what your saying is this. In Bowling each player gets a turn no matter what the other Bowler does. In Bowling we can both shoot the same score its not a race.

Nobody should spend their Money and Time to come from over seas or across country to sit and watch Shane, Dennis, Lee Van, Shaw or whoever run out the set.

Winner break in a regional tournament yes, in a national tournament no!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

• Jump cues
  • The rest

I'll wait to comment on each of those when you start new threads. I know it coming.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race-to-1???? Are your serious?? Been at this game for almost 40yrs and have never heard of or seen a race to one. Not much time to dick around that's for sure. Would make a good side event to replace that boring-ass 14.1 deal at DerbyCity.

I think he meant single elimination..... not a race to 1 game.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Pool was popular 100 years ago and that's about it.

I've made my case for loser breaks, but thanks for responding with a well thought-out post, I appreciate it.

Jeff Livingston

And it was winner break, straight pool, or 3 cushion, where you could run out the set.

Once again, thank you for proving our point
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Pure bar pool is winner breaks allways!!! And challenger racks....always!!! I don't care what bar you go into in this country. There is no way in hell these babyass tournament rules are ever going to bleed over into the bar industry....EXCEPT when they start running tournaments and the players want to start mimicking the big boy tournaments, and the better players start complaining that a race to 1 or 2 is no good, needs to be at least a race to 3 and double elimination!!! The bars around here don't have the same winners week after week when they play races to 1 double elimination, and the tournaments are full, but the crybabies that insist on longer races are no where to be seen!!!

I'm in a college town where Libby crybabys rule supreme, so, yeah, it's challenger breaks.

Of course they won't bet a Pecan, so what's the point other than showing them they don't have a right to win, which is more than enough satisfaction for me.
Jason

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you seriously the dumbest fu<k_r ever?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=451530&highlight=Diamonds

You are a helluva challenger, if not.

Put up a screenshot of your rep comments. I dare you, ya pus-hat.

• Jump cues
  • The rest

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180216-141727.jpg
    Screenshot_20180216-141727.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
The goal of the game (the rack) is to win the rack. The goal of the game is not earn the right to break in the next game. That is the purpose of the lag.....

Yes, a lag to determine who breaks first.

So what do you propose? Lag after every rack?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, nothing more exciting than watching ONE Person play in a TWO Person match.:rolleyes:

If it was football, for example that had scorer gets the ball again:

Hey, New England made a touchdown....I can't wait to see them do it again and make it a 6-pack! Who were they playing? I dunno

Jeff Livingston
Well then go play football and leave pool alone... 🤯

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about loser racks and after seeing the rack winner gets to choose to break or make the opponent break, no-reracks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk