Baltimore "buddy" Daniel Dennis passed on.....

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always tried to treat people with respect, never dumped a game, played and honest game and etc. But I'm sure that when I pass there will be someone that will have something negative to say about me.

As far as I'm concerned Buddy was an ok guy with me. we played several times in the 70's. Always a joy to play against and we got to be friends and had many lengthy conversations. I can only judge people as to how they treat me and my friends. Sorry to hear of his passing.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I've always tried to treat people with respect, never dumped a game, played and honest game and etc. But I'm sure that when I pass there will be someone that will have something negative to say about me.

As far as I'm concerned Buddy was an ok guy with me. we played several times in the 70's. Always a joy to play against and we got to be friends and had many lengthy conversations. I can only judge people as to how they treat me and my friends. Sorry to hear of his passing.

We can start now.....I hear you ran a clip joint....:)

I knew Buddy briefly in Detroit at the Rack...
...about a dozen guys were all trying to make a game at the same time...it was loud.
Buddy says to me "Why can't people just get up and play?"
...told him....making the game is half the fun...
He grins "I guess you're right."

TheCutShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cheap shot would be to steal $2,000 and skip town in the middle of the night. He might have been a great player, a nice man, etc., but he was also a piece of sh*t con man. Go ahead and live in your dream world. His passing couldn't have come any sooner. Period. F*** him.

Well in the words of Mark Twain - "I've never killed a man, but I've read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction" This would have been a classier way of saying you disliked the man!

Sure Buddy was a con-man, most traveling players trying to make a living on the road that came up during the time period that he did were all con-men to one degree or another, but the first step in avoiding the trap, is knowing that there is a trap! So trusting a known con-man with $2000, what do you expect to happen?

I mean really, even the movie "The Color of Money" glorifies the Con for Road Players - "Two Brothers and a Stranger" ring any bells?

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can start now.....I hear you ran a clip joint....:)

I knew Buddy briefly in Detroit at the Rack...
...about a dozen guys were all trying to make a game at the same time...it was loud.
Buddy says to me "Why can't people just get up and play?"
...told him....making the game is half the fun...
He grins "I guess you're right."

I was playing one day and a guy I didn't know is hitting balls on the table beside me , looks like a decent player but misses the critical shots most of the time for the run out.
I was trying to figure out how to ask him to play when he started banking balls , whack shwoo shwoo shwoo {that was the sound the balls made from going in at hi speed and swirling around the pocket.}
I heard that about 8 shots in a row and changed my mind.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cheap shot would be to steal $2,000 and skip town in the middle of the night. He might have been a great player, a nice man, etc., but he was also a piece of sh*t con man. Go ahead and live in your dream world. His passing couldn't have come any sooner. Period. F*** him.

Maybe that 2k taught you something tha saved you more in the long run and he is your angel?!

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about his passing. My Baltimore Buddy story is that he came to town and played in a local tournament at Raytown Recreation. At the time, in the Mid 80's there weren't a lot of pool tournaments. I noticed this guy with a super smooth stroke playing with a pea green Mali cue. The cue didn't fit his stroke. He ended up getting 3rd and I found out he was a good player on the road.

Fast forward to a few years ago. I was watching a stream and recognized the same stroke from an older gentleman. That stroke looked so familiar. He wasn't going by Buddy but a different first name with Dennis as his last name. I asked in the chat room if that was Baltimore Buddy and sure enough it was using I guess his first name. He couldn't hide the stroke :)

bulletjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that you always keep your woman and your wallet close, lol. I understand that Buddy is one of a few pool players to ever live by solely playing on the road. That's hard to swallow and he only knew that lifestyle. I miss watching him beat Grady's butt in one hole and Grady would bar him from the pool room. Funny stuff

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
I agree that you always keep your woman and your wallet close, lol. I understand that Buddy is one of a few pool players to ever live by solely playing on the road. That's hard to swallow and he only knew that lifestyle. I miss watching him beat Grady's butt in one hole and Grady would bar him from the pool room. Funny stuff

I remember that. I was fortunate to know Buddy and hung out with him quite a bit. Sorry to hear about his passing. Thoughts and prayers for sure.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe that 2k taught you something tha saved you more in the long run and he is your angel?!

There you go, some words of wisdom here. I got conned out of my entire bankroll (about $1,500) when I was maybe twenty years old. I kind of smelled a rat but went for it anyway. I never forgot that "lesson" and always trusted my instincts after that. I can't say I've ever been conned since then, although many have tried (and for a lot more money!). :grin:

In the early 70's I took Buddy to a small bar across the street from Paramount Studios, where a lot of well paid guys hung out after work. I got a tip they were gambling pretty good in there. I stopped in on a Friday night and watched them banging balls around on the bar table, laughing it up and throwing money around. I couldn't break the ice and get in the game so I gave Buddy a shot at it. He looked good, spoke well and laid it down like a champ. I dropped him off outside because if I went in with him they would know something was up. I told him ahead of time what to expect and he assured me he could handle it. The first night Buddy won over a $1,000 in there and went back a week later (on Friday!) and won another thousand before they finally got wise to him. That was a big score back then and I'm pretty sure buddy was straight with me on the count. Jimmy Mataya beat that place for a couple of thou too when they were shooting The Baltimore Bullet across the street.

Last edited:

One Rock

Registered
There you go, some words of wisdom here. I got conned out of my entire bankroll (about $1,500) when I was maybe twenty years old. I kind of smelled a rat but went for it anyway. I never forgot that "lesson" and always trusted my instincts after that. I can't say I've ever been conned since then, although many have tried (and for a lot more money!). :grin:

In the early 70's I took Buddy to a small bar across the street from Paramount Studios, where a lot of well paid guys hung out after work. I got a tip they were gambling pretty good in there. I stopped in on a Friday night and watched them banging balls around on the bar table, laughing it up and throwing money around. I couldn't break the ice and get in the game so I gave Buddy a shot at it. He looked good, spoke well and laid it down like a champ. I dropped him off outside because if I went in with him they would know something was up. I told him ahead of time what to expect and he assured me he could handle it. The first night Buddy won over a $1,000 in there and went back a week later (on Friday!) and won another thousand before they finally got wise to him. That was a big score back then and I'm pretty sure buddy was straight with me on the count. Jimmy Mataya beat that place for a couple of thou too when they were shooting The Baltimore Bullet across the street.

Yeah, go ahead and justify his actions so you can continue mourning him. He ran away in the dark of the night with my $2K, never to come back again to the DC/Baltimore area. There are at least 10 folks to whom he owed a lot of money. Some of these folks died since. I don't see anyone mourning them, and certainly Buddy Dennis didn't give a damn when they passed. If you think he was that great of a player, let me tell you he was just another lamb killer, nothing more.

Nine Miler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, go ahead and justify his actions so you can continue mourning him. He ran away in the dark of the night with my $2K, never to come back again to the DC/Baltimore area. There are at least 10 folks to whom he owed a lot of money. Some of these folks died since. I don't see anyone mourning them, and certainly Buddy Dennis didn't give a damn when they passed. If you think he was that great of a player, let me tell you he was just another lamb killer, nothing more.

Must be something to so angrily hold a grudge for 20 years over $2,000. With even a very modest job, in 20 years, you could make a million bucks. My advice to you is to let it go and move on.

I learned something pretty cool when I was a kid. It goes like this...

"...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

It will be an amazing feeling for you when you realize you no longer have to carry around that anger.

bstroud

Deceased
I played Buddy several times and knew him well.

He was one of Joss Cues first customers.

Will miss him.

Bill S.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heaven forbid he has anger over being wronged.
Must be something to so angrily hold a grudge for 20 years over $2,000. With even a very modest job, in 20 years, you could make a million bucks. My advice to you is to let it go and move on.

It will be an amazing feeling for you when you realize you no longer have to carry around that anger.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know....

I'm a very forgiving person. All someone has to do is even hint they they have wronged me and I'm willing to forgive the trespass. But if someone flat out stole 2,000 dollars from me and never acknowledged it, at some point I would let it go (for my own sanity) BUT I would let it be known that they were an unrepentant thief so as to discourage this behavior for others.

When we leave this world, one of the most important things we leave behind is our character and how others perceived it. Live right and you will be remembered fondly -- as you should be. Screw people over and you won't.

One Rock

Registered

Actually, I made $13M since. It has nothing to do with the money. I'm angry not at Buddy Dennis, but at the suckers and morons like you who are mourning and glorifying a two-bit con man. Go ahead and idolize a thief; let's see how far the game will go with that sort of mindset.

Nine Miler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually, I made $13M since. It has nothing to do with the money. I'm angry not at Buddy Dennis, but at the suckers and morons like you who are mourning and glorifying a two-bit con man. Go ahead and idolize a thief; let's see how far the game will go with that sort of mindset.

Congratulations. That's a good amount of dough. I will gladly assume the sucker and moron moniker if you can provide me with evidence of where I mourned or glorified as you say I have. While I do gamble for nominal sums, I don't hustle or con and don't condone it. It is difficult to understand what may influence someone to engage in that behavior, but maybe that is due to our own fortune of not having been in a place in our life that left with few options and not much to lose, like is the case with many hustlers and cons.

As to the rest, just a friendly bit of advice. It was a long time ago, and you've more than made up for it.

One Rock

Registered
Congratulations. That's a good amount of dough. I will gladly assume the sucker and moron moniker if you can provide me with evidence of where I mourned or glorified as you say I have. While I do gamble for nominal sums, I don't hustle or con and don't condone it. It is difficult to understand what may influence someone to engage in that behavior, but maybe that is due to our own fortune of not having been in a place in our life that left with few options and not much to lose, like is the case with many hustlers and cons.

As to the rest, just a friendly bit of advice. It was a long time ago, and you've more than made up for it.

Again, it's all about you, suckers. I don't give a damn about the $2K. In fact, I laughed at his cowardice back in 1997 when he skipped town with the money. I never was angry at him. I only find it ironic that your heroes are con men and two-bit hustlers. That's what I'm angry about. Just name one event that Buddy "Baltimore Bullet" Dennis won, and for which he ought to be remembered. Well, in the DC/Baltimore area, he's remembered for the long-standing bullet that had its name on it. That's why he never ever came back.