Beating a top 100 player in the world???

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Hohmann once in Eurotour and Mika Immonen twice here in Finland. But that was ages ago. And I don't post here too often, lol.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Without a spot coming into play" is a weird way to phrase the question as handicapped matches at the very least have a psychological effect.
To clarify...

I've beaten some really good players with small spots (and some without too). Several of those matches the "spot didn't come into play" but I wouldn't consider that the same thing as beating them heads up. What happens in handicapped matches is often times the better players don't have the same grind in them when they don't like the handicap. Also, if the lesser player likes the spot -- they tend to play much more confidently. Also, with game spots the lesser player never gets to the same finish line that the better player is shooting for. Anyway, winning with a spot can show that a player is capable of competing with better players, but it's not the same thing as doing it heads up.

I suspect the wording of the initial post is getting at this.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I beat Mike Sigel in 1992 in a race to two in a benefit for the National Leukemia charity and have beat Allison Fisher going to seven, but in neither case was it in tournament play. I've also beaten Jean Balukas in a race to five in the Thursday night nine ball event at Hall of Fame Billiards and have beaten Jeanette Lee on several occasions. I've also beaten Gerda Hofstatter on numerous occasions. I'd also like to take note that in 2001, while he was reigning world champion, I beat Mika Immonen 11-0 in a race to eleven getting four on the wire in a practice match at Corner Billiards in New York, NY. I've always thought of that as a win.

But no, if we're talking about collecting a big scalp in a real tournament having races to at least nine, no way. Top 100 today means a Fargo of 772+. If you omit the full-time pros or former full-time pros that post here, I doubt more than twenty five AZB members have done it.
You've played and beaten some of the best women players. Not me though. I've played Robin Bell Dotson and Mary Kenniston in local tournaments and lost! I used to scrimmage with Ming Ng in some real battles. We would play two out of three sets, Races to Nine, which was the match length on the women's circuit. I was her sparring partner. Sometimes she won and sometimes I won. It was a dogfight between us. We both improved though.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beat 2 current national Champs and 1 ex pro by over 30 min each, 2wk ago.
Screenshot_20210918-183218__01.jpg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If i count right I have beaten 7 players on the current top100 world ranking list, one of them being Mosconi Cup team member 😉

so you have probably beaten a current top 20. also very cool.

i was counting bob, you, poolmanis and the other east euro azb member, and about 3 more. but now it's think 10+ on here

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if you are using top 100 Fargo or the WPA top 100? I've been lucky to beaten a few albeit it was on the bar box in tournaments. Cory Duel, Danny Olson, and Sharik Sayed on the current top WPA 100. As far as Fargo, there have been many most notable Justin Bergman but again this on the bar boxes that are prevalent in the Midwest.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The older I get the gooder I wuz!!

I beat a couple that were in the top 100, maybe more. They were probably top twenty too. Nobody paid much attention to more than the top few and it was just a given that few traveling players were using their own name so I started ignoring names for the most part other than a first name to call a player by while playing.

All distant memories, meaningless really. The guy that effortlessly ran racks is gone and he ain't coming back!

Hu

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In between long periods sitting on the stool, I broke and ran one rack on Jeff DeLuna when we were just goofing around.

Does that count? 😂

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many players that post here on AZ billiards do you think can say they've beaten a top 100 player in the world in competition without a spot coming into play???? I'm honestly curious.

Jaden

p.s. feel free to chime in if you have.

My son beat Jayson Shaw when he was ranked #1 (or at least top 3 back then ) at Ocean State 7-6 and won a few short charity races, one with Bustie.
I've beaten Mike Dechaine a few times in shorter gambling sets here and there with an even race, on equipment he did not know LOL He is probably the only top player I have played more than once or twice at all, never mind an actual set.

I think the issue with getting a good number here is that many people don't even get a chance to play the top players much, never mind beat them.
My guess for all the posters, would be maybe 10, 12, really depends on when, many would have been playing with guys like Archer instead of guys like Shaw and over a long time there would be wind here and there. I mean an A player can certainly beat a pro, even in an even race, just not often.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking there has to be 25-50 very good players who post on here, maybe more. Brandon Shuff being one of them, and he has wins over just about everybody. I go back decades to my tournament days, before I got immersed in directing them. I played matches against Pete Margo, Jersey Red, Cannonball (lost to him in Banks, won in 9-Ball), Larry Lisciotti, Jimmy Reid, Wade Crane, Earl, Buddy, Grady, Bob Hunter and a few other top guns. Lost them all too! :LOL:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beat Larry Nevel in a tournament in Chicago right after he won the US Open.

Beat a few other pros who were probably top 100 1pocket players at the time.

Lou Figueroa

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe there are over 40,000 AZB members. I've met many of the posters who have already chimed in about there wins. In addition to those, I can think of 10-20 that I have met and watched beat pros in a race or two. That said, I would have to estimate at least 50-100 have beaten a pro at least once.

As for me personally, I have never beaten a pro with anything less than break and the last 6. I have won at that game if I got ball in hand.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Francisco Sanchez Ruiz was here in Chicago at Chris’s last night looking for action if anyone wants to give him a go….

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Beat Larry Nevel in a tournament in Chicago right after he won the US Open.

Beat a few other pros who were probably top 100 1pocket players at the time.

Lou Figueroa
You beat the great John Barton, too! :ROFLMAO:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bushwhacker RIP hurt a lot of feelings. And if you beat them and didn't know it at the time I would guess more than would own up to it!
Dare I shake a majik 8ball!
I can't beat eggs! To quote Junior.
Nick :)

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beat Mike Sigel in 1992 in a race to two in a benefit for the National Leukemia charity and have beat Allison Fisher going to seven, but in neither case was it in tournament play. I've also beaten Jean Balukas in a race to five in the Thursday night nine ball event at Hall of Fame Billiards and have beaten Jeanette Lee on several occasions. I've also beaten Gerda Hofstatter on numerous occasions. I'd also like to take note that in 2001, while he was reigning world champion, I beat Mika Immonen 11-0 in a race to eleven getting four on the wire in a practice match at Corner Billiards in New York, NY. I've always thought of that as a win.

But no, if we're talking about collecting a big scalp in a real tournament having races to at least nine, no way. Top 100 today means a Fargo of 772+. If you omit the full-time pros or former full-time pros that post here, I doubt more than twenty five AZB members have done it.
Wow ! White/washing Mika immonen is no easy feat.
Good job !
On a side note, did he cry like a sour baby lol ?