Bonus Ball starts May 30th

meximan2469

WPBL
Silver Member
Dave McColl of Runout Media and a representative of Bonus Ball will be on the Pool Time radio show this evening. The show airs live in the Kansas City market from 5pm to 6pm Central. It can also be listened live on the web at http://tunein.com/radio/KCXL-1140-s32214/

It should be a very informative interview about the latest news concerning Bonus Ball.

Darryl

If you missed it live, the interview is up at this link. http://www.dsmithpool.com/mp3/20130505.mp3

It starts around the 21 minute mark and lasts for about 35 mins. Lots of details surrounding the league are revealed.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
IN listening to the podcast today by Dave McColl of Runout Media and reading this thread, it seems that the very recent addition of 12 ALTERNATE PLAYERS will allow any of the Main Players to choose an alternate to take there place.

So if players want to attend the Southern Classic, they should be able to do so. I'm not speaking for Bonus Ball but I hope that more will be done to
avoid conflicts with major events like The Ultimate 10 Ball Championship, Southern Classic, Derby City Classic, U.S. Open 10 Ball Championship, U.S. OPen One Pocket Championship, U.S. OPen 9 Ball Championship as well as the rest of the World Events.
Hey Joey, having the 12 subs does give players more options for sure. My only thing is the main players still have to get the subs to take their spot on a certain week. I imagine that the subs are not obligated to go and play BB when they are asked. That leads me to play the Devils Advocate. What if the subs say "No I want to play in those events too, asnd to be honest if you guys aren't there it actually gives me a better chance to win. So you will need to find someone else this time" ? That could happen right?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Hey Joey, having the 12 subs does give players more options for sure. My only thing is the main players still have to get the subs to take their spot on a certain week. I imagine that the subs are not obligated to go and play BB when they are asked. That leads me to play the Devils Advocate. What if the subs say "No I want to play in those events too, asnd to be honest if you guys aren't there it actually gives me a better chance to win. So you will need to find someone else this time" ? That could happen right?

Question being, how good are the subs? If the subs are good enough to pay to watch, they are also good enough to play in those other events and the other events will still lose players.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I can't listen to the podcast now - does it list who the subs are by name?

And these guys are going to fly into Vega$ on their own dime to play for the week? Let's see what happens when one is a no show.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not pro or against BB, more a wait and see attitude.

I just can't believe some of the responses I'm reading here, however. The BB people have bent over backwards with different provisions for letting the players playing in BB also play in other events. Yet, people are still dreaming up scenarios where there might be conflict.

What if the substitute is sick? What if the substitute sneezes on another substitute on the same team and makes him sick? What if the uniform doesn't fit the substitute player? Come on, this is getting ridiculous.

Just let it happen and see how things fall into place. If I was a betting man, I don't think it will matter in the slightest. Most of the pros stay in their own back yard anyway, just travel once or twice a year. None of them except Shane and Hunter from the States travel anywhere outside the country. Darren travels everywhere. The rest of the guys mostly play in the regional torus wherever they live. This is going to be a non-issue, even without all the provisions the BB team has come up with.

Just let it pan out see what happens.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Mark,
I have a feeling that the subs are not going to turn down GUARANTEED money.

We could speculate about many things, some of them even more negative. It's just not necessary to stir the pot anymore than it already has been.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'm not pro or against BB, more a wait and see attitude.

I just can't believe some of the responses I'm reading here, however. The BB people have bent over backwards with different provisions for letting the players playing in BB also play in other events. Yet, people are still dreaming up scenarios where there might be conflict.

What if the substitute is sick? What if the substitute sneezes on another substitute on the same team and makes him sick? What if the uniform doesn't fit the substitute player? Come on, this is getting ridiculous.

Just let it happen and see how things fall into place. If I was a betting man, I don't think it will matter in the slightest. Most of the pros stay in their own back yard anyway, just travel once or twice a year. None of them except Shane and Hunter from the States travel anywhere outside the country. Darren travels everywhere. The rest of the guys mostly play in the regional torus wherever they live. This is going to be a non-issue, even without all the provisions the BB team has come up with.

Just let it pan out see what happens.

Exactly!!!!!

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Joey and Iusedtoberich, I know I sound negative. I say these same things to people involved as I just do not know any better. I spoke with a player today who had been asked to be a sub and THEY explained that it may not be worth it since thye would get paid $1,000 to sub but they would have to pay a possibly last minute premium on airfare and then on hotel. If you spend 4 days inb vegas along with airfare we are looking at at least $450.00 If that is the case they will only be making $550.00 for a weekends work. Maybe its not worth it to some. Oh and I am being very generous with the $450.00 depending where the sub is originating.

I respect both of you guys and your knowledge and enthusiasm but I am just saying what I see. Please take my words as devils advocate. Since this whole Bonus Ball thread has dotten to this point I don't think I am out of line pointing things out that are obvious to me and won't be as easy as it appears.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Maybe its not worth it to some. Oh and I am being very generous with the $450.00 depending where the sub is originating.

Mark, have you considered that for 70% of the scheduled weeks, players will play 2 or 3 times in a single weekend, thus making $2000-$3000 guaranteed? I can't think of a single tournament that pays that kind of money for 5-7 hours of play.

Sounds like a rough weekend in Vegas to me. :p

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Mark, have you considered that for 70% of the scheduled weeks, players will play 2 or 3 times in a single weekend, thus making $2000-$3000 guaranteed? I can't think of a single tournament that pays that kind of money for 5-7 hours of play.

How many times a year will each player play for 2-3k guaranteed on a weekend? That seems like poppycock!

Who do you think will make more off this... you or a player?

Last edited:

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
How many times a year will each player play for 2-3k guaranteed on a weekend? That seems like poppycock!

As already mentioned, around 70%. This means 13-15 of the 22 matches are during weeks where players play at least twice (depending on the team).

To clarify, that means the average visit to Vegas earns $1460, not the assumed $1000.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
As already mentioned, around 70%. This means 13-15 of the 22 matches are during double or trip weeks, depending on the team.

70% of weekends? That's like 37 weekends @ $2500 (average)... so $92,000 per player just playing weekends. Again, poppycock.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm a free agent, sign me up bro.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As already mentioned, around 70%. This means 13-15 of the 22 matches are during weeks where players play at least twice (depending on the team).

To clarify, that means the average visit to Vegas earns $1460, not the assumed $1000.

It does not matter what they make.

I'd be willing to bet out of the 36 players half of them never leave Vegas with 1 cent. Good location for degen. Gamblers.

Now if this was taking place in say Boise,Idaho or somewhere, the players may actually make/save a dollar. I wish some of them well, but I know em and their gambling tendencies

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member

I'd be willing to bet out of the 36 players half of them never leave Vegas with 1 cent. Good location for degen. Gamblers.

Now if this was taking place in say Boise,Idaho or somewhere, the players may actually make/save a dollar. I wish some of them well, but I know em and their gambling tendencies

When will be the first money match for bonus ball with 2 players from the league ?
I have not been around pool much have they been playing it for money?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

Vegas will end up with most of the money. Thats not on Bonus Ball though. I am really curious how its going to work out keeping that many guys on a schedule for that length of time. Especially when some teams see they are not going to make the playoffs. I expect in the beginning it will be relatively smooth. Three months in it could be different. Lots of egos in one place for a long period of time. It is an interesting experiment all the way around.

Has someone made a line on how long it takes Nevel to throw Earl into the VIP skybox?

I listened to the recording of the radio show and think Darryl Smith does an awesome job. I will be checking it out from now on. Dave did a good job on the show as well. There was still a lot of "can't get into details" and "I can't really talk about that" going on but I guess its to be expected. If all the tech works as described it will be unlike anything seen in the US so far.

Looks like it will be an interesting summer.

APA BRIAN

APA BRIAN
Silver Member
Will team captains act as head coaches? Lets say hypothetically speaking that Bonus Ball makes it through a couple of seasons. Any major sport, especially if teams are involved, get rid of players who aren't producing. How integral will the process of who gets to play after a certain amount of time be? Will there be minor leagues...etc? Will statistics be kept? Will there be a draft? I don't know how long the contracts these guys sign are for. In the IPT players were just chosen. Then you had to have world championship level events for the wild card spots. Will Bonus Ball be this way? Are the players synonymous with the team? Or do teams continue on even though the original players on them no longer are good enough to compete with those wanting to compete? We don't really want this to have the.... flavor of the Mosconi Cup, where is seems choosing who plays is only semi-performance based. Realistically if this thing takes off (which I for one hope it does) it may quickly become Asian/Pinoy dominate.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also got a chance to listen to the radio show. Nice work to all on the broadcast. I never heard the show before this.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bonus ball seems like an interesting pool game. I wonder if introducing a new game like this is the best approach, but I wish them well.