Brash Americans

Pangit

Banned
I'm proudly Amercian... we've earned our reputation.

I "practice" pool early in the day...I'm here to practice not "play". That's why I come here this time of the day??? dah... I've been practicing 10 ball breaks for about 20 min's and this American Merchant Marine "watching" the whole time challenges me to a game of 8 ball. "I hate 8-ball' it's a punk ass game was my reply. 10 ball or one-pocket..."buddy", you are challenging me, you don't get to choose the game.

There are other table's to play on...leave me alone...is what I'm thinking.

Sure enough...he ended playing one of the pool table Maids in the bar and got "owned". He nsisted on playing "behind the line 8 ball"????? What about house rules, your not in Kansas anymore.

Hobart007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time I was practicing in a public place and someone asked me if I wanted to play a game. They obviously weren't that good but I had the class to play a few games with them and not immediately hop on an Internet forum to disparage them for making the offer.

I guess I just thought no one would care... I sure didn't.

Cool story huh bro?

Yukon Ed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I "practice" pool early in the day...I'm here to practice not "play". That's why I come here this time of the day??? dah... I've been practicing 10 ball breaks for about 20 min's and this American Merchant Marine "watching" the whole time challenges me to a game of 8 ball. "I hate 8-ball' it's a punk ass game was my reply. 10 ball or one-pocket..."buddy", you are challenging me, you don't get to choose the game.

Sure enough...he ended playing one of the pool table Maids in the bar and got "owned". He nsisted on playing "behind the line 8 ball"????? What about house rules, your not in Kansas anymore.

99% of people in bars expect to play 8-ball. If you're sitting in a bar in Olongapo, Philippines or in Kansas, and someone asks you play, you're telling me you expect they're interested in 10-ball or one pocket?

Another thing: this cue ball behind the headstring brigade is alive and well all over the world. Why not just go along with whatever rules this guy wants to play by, use your superior pool knowledge of 10-ball and one pocket, and win a few San Miguels? You know how you hustlers do it. :thumbup:

Yukon Ed

Last edited:

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99% of people in bars expect to play 8-ball. If you're sitting in a bar in Olongapo, Philippines or in Kansas, and someone asks you play, you're telling me you expect they're interested in 10-ball or one pocket?

Another thing: this cue ball behind the headstring brigade is alive and well all over the world. Why not just go along with whatever rules this guy wants to play by, use your superior pool knowledge of 10-ball and one pocket, and win a few San Miguels? You know how you hustlers do it. :thumbup:

Yukon Ed

If I was sitting in a bar in Olongapo, I wouldn't want a 19 oz cue in my hands, I rather have an Uzi. However, maybe things have quieted down since I was last there in the 60's. Oh the memories. Beautiful country!
Anyone ever ridden the cattle cars back to the ship from the Sky Club with a bunch of drunken sailors and marines. Great times!

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thats ignorant of you if anybody offers to play me ill play what ever game they want . Its called frendly compition something you are lacking

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So......

Ultimately one person in the story was actually playing pool, and the other one......wasn't........

Yeah......

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

8 balls a great game when it's played well. be thankful that he didn't pick the table right next to yours to play on. doens't it always work out that way? the guy that doesn't know how to play at all picks the only table in the room that might result in him having to move out of the way from time to time and then looks at you like an ass every time you ask him to move. then you have to wait for him because the only 2 speeds he knows are the ones that leave the cb where it is and the one that takes it up table and back down to where it just was!!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I'm curious how asking someone to play is brash??? Seems like I must have been rather brash thousands of times by this logic. :confused:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I like one pocket and prefer to play it but would play 8 ball over 9 or 10 ball in a heart beat. In a few hours I have a 9 ball tournament, only playing in it because of good added money. Rotation does not do too much to get me going really for some reason but this year I will play it more and improve, maybe when I start running packages I will enjoy it more. If someone ask me to play and I just want to practice I tell them that I am just practicing and might play them later or another time just to keep the door open, never know where it might go.

If some guy ask me to play 8 ball I usually know they are usually a beginner to the game or a league player, many league players actually play solid 8 ball because its all they play every week. As for beginners they learn that game first just like I did and most of us have done. If someone comes up to you asking to gamble and play bar style 8 ball then jump on it! I always state 3 things for rules, if you scratch on the break its not a loss, if you do not hit or scratch on the 8 its not a loss unless the 8 is pocketed, just call the ball/pocket and hit your ball first, these simple rules make playing in bars and with people like this much easier.

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 balls a great game when it's played well.

Agreeing with this!

I think everyone falls into the "8 ball is for kids/hackers" mentality somewhat when they move into 9 ball or other games, but watching two top notch players play 8 ball is a whole different kettle of fish. I watched Scott Frost play some 8 ball once a few years back and I was shocked watching the games. Talk about safeties and breaking/tying shit up? Holy cow. Really eye-opening in a "wow, had no idea what that game was really like" kind of way.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right Pangit. I would have asked you to play whichever game you play in that particular bar. But I like 8-ball. It's a tough game with a lot of decisions to make. One pocket is not my game but that too, is very strategic (which I like) - but slow. In 10 ball, it's simple - get position on the next numbered ball. I'll probably never make it to the Philippines, which is my loss because I've heard so many good things about your country. I've met many pinoy's here in California and enjoy their company. Not all Americans are brash. Wish you enjoy the upcoming weekend.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Actually there are times where I have felt intruded on during practice by someone coming up and wanting to play... I know that was not their intent but my intent was focused on practice so it disturbed me when it should not have.... I have also had tons of practice sessions cut short by the offer of games when i knew the guys well and it wrecks your game after awhile when it happens every time....

Would be neat for a pool hall to hand out little brass rail plaques that you can set out out that say... Practice, Action or Friendly Play.... That way if someone is in practice mode they don't have to fend off people all thru the session......

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Actually there are times where I have felt intruded on during practice by someone coming up and wanting to play... I know that was not their intent but my intent was focused on practice so it disturbed me when it should not have.... I have also had tons of practice sessions cut short by the offer of games when i knew the guys well and it wrecks your game after awhile when it happens every time....

Would be neat for a pool hall to hand out little brass rail plaques that you can set out out that say... Practice, Action or Friendly Play.... That way if someone is in practice mode they don't have to fend off people all thru the session......

Good idea.

Smart lights with a scoreboard-type display would do that, plus keep track of races, league scores, etc. This would allow spectators to enjoy the games more.

Jeff Livingston

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Quit drinking so much.