Brash Americans

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of the guys that I play that knock 8 ball I've never seen run a rack.
Same guys don't think there's much strategy in the game.

obr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been bothered by someone asking me to play; if I feel like practicing by myself, I just politely say no thanks..

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
If I was sitting in a bar in Olongapo, I wouldn't want a 19 oz cue in my hands, I rather have an Uzi. However, maybe things have quieted down since I was last there in the 60's. Oh the memories. Beautiful country!
Anyone ever ridden the cattle cars back to the ship from the Sky Club with a bunch of drunken sailors and marines. Great times!

I've killed a few billion brain cells from my times there. But they were the weak ones and didn't deserved to live.

I went there a few times in the early 80's. I was in the VP Navy and flew into there.

Oh, the stories......man what great times for sure.

I was a Inflight Tech and one night we came back in from a mission during one of their thunder storms. P3 is not a small plane, but that approach and landing I still remember.

Plane was being tossed around like a leaf, the co pilot had what was called a "hot mic" meaning his microphone was keyed on all the time so the was no commutation to the tower, the pilot throttle back to high and the plane slammed down hard........

I had a few San Miguel's that night....

And then there was the night that......well lets just say that what happen there stayed there, and wasn't anything like what happens in Vegas.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Be careful and not over practice.

There is nothing that can replace competition for bringing out the best or worst in you.

Practice will get you only so far. Its competition that is gonna make one a skilled player and not just practice.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
eight ball

There isn't a better game for a gambler than eight ball. Any other game the other player can rate your speed pretty quickly unless you totally lay down and lose. Eight ball you can win and still look like a lucky slob. Everyone knows how to play and those that don't respect the eight ball game remind me of Slim Picken's brother, Easy.

Hu

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Would be neat for a pool hall to hand out little brass rail plaques that you can set out out that say... Practice, Action or Friendly Play.... That way if someone is in practice mode they don't have to fend off people all thru the session......

I like this idea but I don't think most people would take the time to read it.

JC

Coos Cues
I'm proudly Amercian... we've earned our reputation.

I don't know about the rest of Americans but you certainly seem to have a knack for earning your reputation here on this forum. I keep trying to understand you and give the benefit of the doubt but just when I think they're too harsh on you around here, out comes a post like this. What's wrong with "No thanks I'm not that in to 8 ball these days, would you like to play a rotation game or one pocket"? When you tell someone the game they suggested is punk ass, what they hear is you calling them punk ass.

What is your situation there as an ex-pat in the Phils anyway? Married to a local or just hanging out there making your pension stretch? Do you treat the Pinoys like this too or is the attitude just for this forum?

JC

Coos Cues
You're right Pangit. I would have asked you to play whichever game you play in that particular bar. But I like 8-ball. It's a tough game with a lot of decisions to make. One pocket is not my game but that too, is very strategic (which I like) - but slow. In 10 ball, it's simple - get position on the next numbered ball. I'll probably never make it to the Philippines, which is my loss because I've heard so many good things about your country. I've met many pinoy's here in California and enjoy their company. Not all Americans are brash. Wish you enjoy the upcoming weekend.

I believe Pangit (ugly) is an American Ex-Pat, not Filipino. I have never met a Filipino as rude as this guy, even here in America. I don't think "Punk Ass" is in their vocabulary.

Last edited:

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont do this anymore, but when people used to ask me that id just say im really good, how about i let you take all your balls off the table after the break and we play for... (enter what u want here, san miguel sounds good, i prefer pacifico myself). OP, this way, YOU will still be doing all the shooting (ie practicing). AND you will be sociable, AND you will make a little "score" (yes, in pool a beer is actually a score).

This worked like an absolute charm. In fact, i dont ever remember a single repeating line of dialogue in my life serving me any better. "Do you wanna get outta here" certainly didn't do its job.

Last edited:

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member

"I hate 8-ball' it's a punk ass game was my reply.

He nsisted on playing "behind the line 8 ball"????? What about house rules, your not in Kansas anymore.

You're not much of a representative of the USA, in fact, you're quite opposite. Every time I visit, people are nice, congenial, and have class. You think, act, and speak more like the "American" the rest of the world complains about: rude, ignorant, and suffering from megalomania.

If you're too good (a self-labelled "pro" in one of your other posts) for the rest of us why don't you leave us ol'railbirds to our own devices? Surely we will only drag you down from your lofty perch high above us.

PS: I agree with with the previous remark about people who whine about 8-ball being a lesser game; most of those "players" can't run out with a map.

TheThaiger

Banned
I dont do this anymore, but when people used to ask me that id just say im really good, how about i let you take all your balls off the table after the break and we play for... (enter what u want here, san miguel sounds good, i prefer pacifico myself). OP, this way, YOU will still be doing all the shooting (ie practicing). AND you will be sociable, AND you will make a little "score" (yes, in pool a beer is actually a score).

This worked like an absolute charm. In fact, i dont ever remember a single repeating line of dialogue in my life serving me any better. "Do you wanna get outta here" certainly didn't do its job.

Why don't you do it anymore?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
You're lucky that the Marine didn't take you outside and ricochet your noggin off a lamp post.

He came into port and had a few days off to sight see. He saw that you were playing by yourself and asked for a game.
I don't see where that was either rude or brash.
I have also been a stranger in town in many places across North America. Its nice to be able to talk to a friendly person that will give you the time of day. I will always return the favor if I can. People have made lasting friendships in similar circumstances.

PS - You are either Pocket Point or you have a dople ganger in the USA.

Last edited:

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Civility!

I "practice" pool early in the day...I'm here to practice not "play". That's why I come here this time of the day??? dah... I've been practicing 10 ball breaks for about 20 min's and this American Merchant Marine "watching" the whole time challenges me to a game of 8 ball. "I hate 8-ball' it's a punk ass game was my reply. 10 ball or one-pocket..."buddy", you are challenging me, you don't get to choose the game.

There are other table's to play on...leave me alone...is what I'm thinking.

Sure enough...he ended playing one of the pool table Maids in the bar and got "owned". He nsisted on playing "behind the line 8 ball"????? What about house rules, your not in Kansas anymore.

Maybe next time just say not really my game but I'll play some cheap $5 games if you like. Take his $20 and he will quit after four games and back you go to practicing. Pays your table time. Saying someones game is a punk ass game is calling them a punk! Good rule is don't call people punks in bars!

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
I do not understand why people knock ANY game played on a table. All the different games I have played are great games, and require their own type of strategy. I love 8 ball because it has so many different options, it forces you to think. I wonder if it crossed the OP's mind that wherever the marine hails from, 8 ball is the predominant game. This will probably come as a shock to some, but in many rural areas the only place to shoot pool is in a bar. And usually the people that live in that area that do play pool play 8 ball.

I do understand wanting to practice, but I also understand common courtesy. Respectfully declining was an option, but maybe insulting the man's choice of games is considered diplomacy in some circles.:cool:

Braden

TheThaiger

Banned
I do not understand why people knock ANY game played on a table. All the different games I have played are great games, and require their own type of strategy. I love 8 ball because it has so many different options, it forces you to think. I wonder if it crossed the OP's mind that wherever the marine hails from, 8 ball is the predominant game. This will probably come as a shock to some, but in many rural areas the only place to shoot pool is in a bar. And usually the people that live in that area that do play pool play 8 ball.

I do understand wanting to practice, but I also understand common courtesy. Respectfully declining was an option, but maybe insulting the man's choice of games is considered diplomacy in some circles.:cool:

Braden

This may just be a UK thing but 8 ball really pisses me off. There are 101 rules and variants, and every single person that wants to play it wants to play it THEIR way, saying "actually, the proper rules are..." when they're no such thing. They just take the rules some fat bloke down the pub told them, and they pass them off as gospel. 9&10 ball rules are clear and unambiguous, and there's no arguing over them.

I hate being asked for a game. I either get nutters I'm too scared to say get lost to, or have players so poor I have to miss on purpose to avoid it becoming too boring.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're not much of a representative of the USA, in fact, you're quite opposite. Every time I visit, people are nice, congenial, and have class. You think, act, and speak more like the "American" the rest of the world complains about: rude, ignorant, and suffering from megalomania.

I was going to write something just about like this!

Thanks for saving me the typing time.