Break tips for cues

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First I did a search but could not find a thread covering this. What I saw a some threads covering some break tips.

1) What is the hardest break tip?
2) Are all Phenolic tips the same?
3) I have seen White Diamond break tips, any input?
4) Any input on the Tiger Ice Breaker tip?
5) I think I saw a Clear break tip in the last year, anyone have any feedback?
6) Yes I've used the Samsara but has a soft or mushy feel not the snap I feel with other types of tips.

I'm asking because I have an extra break shaft and trying to decide what to try on it. I currently have one set up with a no-name phenolic and one with Samsara. Looking to try something different on the third shaft.

Thanks for any input.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
First I did a search but could not find a thread covering this. What I saw a some threads covering some break tips.

6) Yes I've used the Samsara but has a soft or mushy feel not the snap I feel with other types of tips.

I'm asking because I have an extra break shaft and trying to decide what to try on it. I currently have one set up with a no-name phenolic and one with Samsara. Looking to try something different on the third shaft.

Thanks for any input.

1, depends on how you measure them.
2. Probably not
3. They have had decent reviews.
4. never tried it
5. never seen a "clear" one
6. 6 is not a question.

You might like the HammerHead Tips by Outsville.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks for any input.
I’m a bit confused, but the answer has to be Hammerhead by Outsville (Chris Renfro).

KMRunout has done a few threads on his use of various break tips and their performance.

Freddie <~~~ remembering the Electric Bugaloo

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If I ever need to replace the tip on my current breaker or jumper, I would definitely like to give the Hammerhead a try.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I can't offer much help, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....

In my experiences, I have had a dickens of a time getting White Diamonds to stay glued onto my ferrules, but the ones that stayed put are really nice (and hard) break tips.

Maniac

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I didn't like the Tiger Ice Breaker tip at all...Took it off after 4 days.....
The White Diamond is good but they do pop off..Hard to keep on.
Some Phenolic tips just too hard...Jump good but better hit the cue ball center ball or you'll miss cue...
I only use Samsara break tip... Jumps good and breaks solid...And can be scuffed up a little if needed....
Now this is just my opinion...Does'nt mean everyone will agree...

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. I think the hardest break tips I’ve used are g10.
2.Most phonetic tips I have used have all felt the same. They are hard but don’t hold chalk very well and they don’t hold the cue ball very well IMO.
3. I’ve had a White Diamond tip before and it played well but it came off and I had to reinstall it.
4. I’ve never used the Tiger tip you mentioned
5. I’ve never played with the clear tip
6. I’ve got a different opinion on Samsara’s. I think they jump and break well. They definitely aren’t soft and mushy.

I have started using Mad Man break and jump tips and I really like them. The j/b tip plays a lot like a Samsara to me and the jump only tip feels like a Gator tip. If you haven’t tried them, they are definitely worth a try. Juan uses great leather, has great customer service, and his tips are very affordable.

KOINNKID

Troy
Silver Member
Go with Odega

Odega break tip is the best I have tried. White Diamond comes in second. If you want one or the other I have both that I can sell you.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For now.

A few months ago Pat Diveney made me a 12.75mm 30" Lake Salvage shaft with a black phenolic ferrule and an Odega tip.

My break has much room for improvement, but it is definitely better since I started using the new shaft, ferrule and tip.

That being said, plenty of guys could grab a house cue and out break me. I am sure Pat would put a new ferrule and tip on about any decent shaft the customer supplied.

Last edited:

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a Hammerhead on a Gilbert JB and would not change it for the world. Hits hard with lots of control.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few months ago Pat Diveney made me a 12.75mm 30" Lake Salvage shaft with a black phenolic ferrule and an Odega tip.

My break has much room for improvement, but it is definitely better since I started using the new shaft, ferrule and tip.

That being said, plenty of guys could grab a house cue and out break me. I am sure Pat would put a new ferrule and tip on about any decent shaft the customer supplied.

Any chance you could post a pic of the lake salvage shaft...that just sounds intriguing as all get out.

I'm assuming old growth wood that was submerged for a while which brings out all sorts of grain and color?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just put a Cyborg tip (similar to Taom) on a cheapo Action break cue. I have to say Im pretty impressed with it. Good energy transfer to the cb, and good control. :grin:

And according to the advertisement, it glows in the dark should I ever need to break a rack or 2 in the middle of a power outage! :duck:

https://www.seyberts.com/on-cyborg-break-tip

42321309685_d7dc59c4dd_c.jpg