Can't see the forest for the trees.

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Smith

It is what it is, trying to make something else out of it by speculating is only fooling your self. Chris Gentile is a very strong one pocket player, that has never been questioned, but he can be beaten. Gentile is a very smart player and plays to his strengths when able to, however, there are players (believe it or not) who also posses a strong game as well and are allowed and capable of beating strong players in spite of the ..so called traditional correct way to play. What's correct for one isn't necessarily correct for all, you count your money at the end of the match and the player with the most money is the winner..every thing else is just talk. Style of play should be respected regardless of the style you play..to me it's more about winning then..why he lost. It's easy to sit back and be a result player and correct a players play after the match is over, then make assertions on why he lost..or he should of done things differently..blah..blah..blah. Then suggest that the reason he lost is because he was a tired player..really...When it gets to that kind of speculating it should be a ..done deal. period.

Danny Smith is also a very strong player and people are starting to realize that even more today then yesterday, in spite of his..so called..unstable style of play. His game is consistently strong enough to beat players like Darren Appleton, a world champion in every discipline except one pocket, however, he did finish second in the US Open One Pocket Championship to VanBoening in Vegas. He also beat Richie Richeson, quite easily if I remember correctly, certainly no easy task. Richie plays a very strong game and has beaten every top player with the exception of the truly upper echelon players, and we all know who they are. Danny then beat a very strong and upcoming Josh Roberts, who by the way beat Chris Gentile, and he also played Justin Hall to a stand still. Josh is no joke and neither is Hall. Jeremy Jones is considered technically to be one of the strongest movers in the game, Jeremy gave Richeson 9/8 in Kty. and beat him easily, he also gave Josh Roberts 9/8 in Vegas and again won easily, however, when he played Danny, again, Danny won easily. In 2013 at the Derby Jeremy tried to give Danny 9/8 and lost, no contest. But for some strange reason all of this went seemingly unnoticed, maybe it's because Danny plays an unorthodox type of game..or maybe it's because all of his opponents play...supposedly.. a more solid game. Or just maybe..we can't see the forest for the trees.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanna see all those matchups!

Goddam life gettin in the way of my pool.

Who's gponna post em on the yootoope?:sad:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Danny Smith
In 2013 at the Derby Jeremy tried to give Danny 9/8 and lost, no contest. But for some strange reason all of this went seemingly unnoticed, maybe it's because Danny plays an unorthodox type of game..or maybe it's because all of his opponents play...supposedly.. a more solid game. Or just maybe..we can't see the forest for the trees.

Dr. Bill

Maybe there is no "gold standard" on how the game is supposed to be played. Like you said, the fella with his pockets overflowing at the end of the day is the winner, no matter what balls he chose to strike or move...

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post Billy, but keep a low profile in Chicago for a while.

Danny Smith

It is what it is, trying to make something else out of it by speculating is only fooling your self. Chris Gentile is a very strong one pocket player, that has never been questioned, but he can be beaten. Gentile is a very smart player and plays to his strengths when able to, however, there are players (believe it or not) who also posses a strong game as well and are allowed and capable of beating strong players in spite of the ..so called traditional correct way to play. What's correct for one isn't necessarily correct for all, you count your money at the end of the match and the player with the most money is the winner..every thing else is just talk. Style of play should be respected regardless of the style you play..to me it's more about winning then..why he lost. It's easy to sit back and be a result player and correct a players play after the match is over, then make assertions on why he lost..or he should of done things differently..blah..blah..blah. Then suggest that the reason he lost is because he was a tired player..really...When it gets to that kind of speculating it should be a ..done deal. period.

Danny Smith is also a very strong player and people are starting to realize that even more today then yesterday, in spite of his..so called..unstable style of play. His game is consistently strong enough to beat players like Darren Appleton, a world champion in every discipline except one pocket, however, he did finish second in the US Open One Pocket Championship to VanBoening in Vegas. He also beat Richie Richeson, quite easily if I remember correctly, certainly no easy task. Richie plays a very strong game and has beaten every top player with the exception of the truly upper echelon players, and we all know who they are. Danny then beat a very strong and upcoming Josh Roberts, who by the way beat Chris Gentile, and he also played Justin Hall to a stand still. Josh is no joke and neither is Hall. Jeremy Jones is considered technically to be one of the strongest movers in the game, Jeremy gave Richeson 9/8 in Kty. and beat him easily, he also gave Josh Roberts 9/8 in Vegas and again won easily, however, when he played Danny, again, Danny won easily. In 2013 at the Derby Jeremy tried to give Danny 9/8 and lost, no contest. But for some strange reason all of this went seemingly unnoticed, maybe it's because Danny plays an unorthodox type of game..or maybe it's because all of his opponents play...supposedly.. a more solid game. Or just maybe..we can't see the forest for the trees.

Dr. Bill

John Brumback

Silver Member
It don't matter what you call it....It's really just "shooting pool" it's just that you have to make your 8 balls in some certain pocket before the other person. jmho.:D John B.

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
I was telling heads this back in like 2009.

I was telling people that the '1 pocket shooters' are starting to best the 'conventional 1 pocket players'.

And if the 1 pocket shooter starts to learn the 'SHOTS, MOVES, AND STRATEGIES' of the game, it's going to be 'nothing to see' most times.

It seems like the only way to combat these type of 'warriors' is with a 90%+ similar style.

I dont understand people when they say "He's winning but he's playing the game wrong'.

How the *&^% is he playing the game wrong when he's going to Wachovia to deposit YOUR $$$$ is HIS account??????? LOL!

EX. Chris Gentile (conventional style) vs. Danny Smith (unconventional style) Danny Smith wins 21-13

Josh Roberts (unconventional style) vs. Danny Smith (unconventional style) (both similar styles of play) I forgot the score but they played over 100 games. (I think it was 56-48; correct me If Im wrong)

Wutang

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
One pocket is a far different game today by the top players. When they get a shot to run out they take it. The top players of yesterday would only shoot a 4' cut shot if they had a safe to go with it. Johnnyt

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I like his style of play. Is it traditional, nope. Is it interesting to see, sure. As many here have already said, the guy counting the cash is the winner, everything else is just semantics.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "shooter" verses the "mover" argument has been around the entire time I have played pool.

As Billy I mentioned, usually it based on the player strengths and playing into and with his strengths.

IMO, Gentile plays the "right" way. His excellence is banking (Chicago), and brings more of that.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
Don't forget that Danny is a monster at banking too. His style of one pocket may seem a little psychotic at times, this coming from The Mad Scientist haha, but it is very effective. What I've noticed in my short 10 years of playing one pocket is that aggressive play, when it is successful, can do a lot more to rattle the opponent than your normal lock down and wait it out style.

Just watch the coin move, that's the only move that really matters!

RBC

Deceased
Today's one pocket is definitely different than what it was years ago.

For that matter, so is 9 ball, and 10 ball, and 8 ball. Pretty much all the games are played different strategically, when the players skill levels go up considerably.

Today's players routinely pocket balls that would be questionable shots not too many years ago.

Royce

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket is a far different game today by the top players. When they get a shot to run out they take it. The top players of yesterday would only shoot a 4' cut shot if they had a safe to go with it. Johnnyt

Soooo, I guess you never heard of Ronnie Allen.

Dale

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Soooo, I guess you never heard of Ronnie Allen.

Dale

That's who I was thinking about while reading this thread...Ronnie Allen.
He broke a lot of mental blocks.

Then my other favorite one-pocket player started....Efren Reyes.
Many people said he was going to be one hell of a player when he learned
the game....after a couple years, players started to learn how HE played it.

Maybe Danny Smith will be the next great jump

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
A changing of the guard is near....or HERE!!!!

Wutang

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "shooter" verses the "mover" argument has been around the entire time I have played pool.

As Billy I mentioned, usually it based on the player strengths and playing into and with his strengths.

IMO, Gentile plays the "right" way. His excellence is banking (Chicago), and brings more of that.
The night before Danny and Chris played one pocket they played full rack banks $600 a game and Danny beat Chris.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Danny still won't play some guys from what I understand. Play Justin Hall and Alex before touting him as the next big jump!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Danny still won't play some guys from what I understand. Play Justin Hall and Alex before touting him as the next big jump!

You beat Alex and "ALL" your action is dead!!!

You lose to Alex and you and your backer look like "Fools!!!"

Playing Justin Hall is not the smartest move either!!! He has been named by Scott Frost as "The best banker in the world!" again not a smart move.

Sylver Ochoa /Jessie Bowman/Justin Bergman/Dennis Orcollo should be getting formal invitations to Hannibal Lecter's dinner table as he methodically picks off the low lying fruit!

KD

Last edited: