Cowboy Jimmy Moore Interview

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the only spot on the video I can see his slip stroke. Wish there was a shot of him from the side.

Freddie <~~~ sometimes slips,... not on purpose

https://youtu.be/bY2wCC9EXIc?t=559

Two shots later. Not to devolve into an aiming discussion but I noticed he lined up on the inside of the cue ball regardless of where he was going to strike it.

Another tidbit about Jimmy Moore. If you watch the Irving Crane 150 and out Jimmy Moore is in the audience puffing on a cigar. I'm guessing he must have been in the tournament. I wonder if there is a reel of tape inside a can on a shelf somewhere of more matches from that tournament.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/bY2wCC9EXIc?t=504

I'd like to get my hands on that cue.

That's the only spot on the video I can see his slip stroke. Wish there was a shot of him from the side.

https://youtu.be/bY2wCC9EXIc?t=559

Two shots later. Not to devolve into an aiming discussion but I noticed he lined up on the inside of the cue ball regardless of where he was going to strike it.

Another tidbit about Jimmy Moore. If you watch the Irving Crane 150 and out Jimmy Moore is in the audience puffing on a cigar. I'm guessing he must have been in the tournament. I wonder if there is a reel of tape inside a can on a shelf somewhere of more matches from that tournament.
i was thinking the same thing as i watched that video
alstl thanks for the links

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a Crane vid on YT of him running 150 and out, I believe against Balsis. Only time in my life I've actually seen someone run 150 balls ( I watched the entire thing ). Our room owner used to play a lot of 14.1 and I've seen him run over 100 several times ( though it's been many years ) but never 150. That's one of the things I most admired about the oldsters back in the 14.1 days, their ability ( not that they had a lot of options, I suppose ) to sit and watch as their opponent stayed at the table for at times, an hour or more. I could never have done that. My head would have exploded at the 20 minute mark.

I saw in person Crane run a 141 in a tournament in Elizabeth N.J. sometime around 1964 or so.
I was 10 feet away.
Hardest shot he had was a puppy dog cross side bank.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member

For some reason when I'm on my phone the video link doesn't jump to a specific point, but there is a good view at around or maybe just before the 14 min mark.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There once was a player named Puckett,
Who was actually not from Nantucket.
Three to two stood the score,
When he played Jimmy Moore,
Then he made the nine ball and said, "Well, I'll be a son of a gun!"

Ah.....the tyranny of rhyme

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
That slip stroke is really something. I've seen videos of guys using a slip stroke where the back hand barely moves. Jimmy's moved a lot. It's so fluid. As much of a lost art in pool today as the drop kick in the nfl.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

kernsh

Registered
I worked in the Golden Cue pool room on Menaul Blvd when Bud Bartic owned it and where Jimmy practiced every day. This would have been in the mid to late 60's. The man would take a tray of balls to the front table, about 10 ft in front of my counter. He only practiced straight pool and never used a rack to rack the balls. He would gather the balls into a pyramid on the end rail and roll them toward the spot,and stop all fourteen balls in exactly the right spot for his break shot. He normally practiced for 90 to 120 minutes and I cannot guess how many times I have watched him and in that amount of time never saw him miss a ball or have what could be considered a tough shot.

The one match I saw him play was at the Sport Bowl on Second Street next to the Greyhound bus station. A young kid named Ronnie Allen came through town and wanted to play. They matched up with Jimmy giving Allen the eight ball playing 9-ball. They played 35 games and with Jimmy up one game Allen drug up and made the comment "I can find easier action than this anywhere in the country." And he was probably right.

At that time Albuquerque had some pretty salty players who lived here and they would match up with some of the road players. If the roadies were good enough to win some money playing these guys, they almost always got the big head and wanted to try Jimmy before they left. And many times Jimmy had to buy them a bus ticket so they could get back home. He was a very strong player for a very long time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... And many times Jimmy had to buy them a bus ticket so they could get back home. He was a very strong player for a very long time.
I never met him, but in the video he comes across as one of the nicest guy you could hope to find in the pool room.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Took me 2 sittings to get through it. Great history. I love listing to the old stories. Cowboy was a class act.
Thanks