Diamond Ten Ball Invitational

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
might want to think about the payouts too..last year you win 2 matches u get 3500 and with 18 k in the pot u win 2 matches u only get 2500...even poker dont pay 40% for first place seems top heavy to the winner

We are paying eight of the 32 players this year. Last year we paid $12,000 for first place out of a total purse of $26,000. That's 46%.

This year there is $18,000 added as compared to $10,000 last year. And the prize money is almost doubled from 26K to 50K. What's not to like about that?

Last year first place paid $12,000, this year it's $20,000! Last year second place paid $7,000, this year it's $10,000. Last year 3rd-4th paid $3,500, this year it's $5,000. So which do you think the players like more, last year's payouts or this years?

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are paying eight of the 32 players this year. Last year we paid $12,000 for first place out of a total purse of $26,000. That's 46%.

This year there is $18,000 added as compared to $10,000 last year. And the prize money is almost doubled from 26K to 50K. What's not to like about that?

Last year first place paid $12,000, this year it's $20,000! Last year second place paid $7,000, this year it's $10,000. Last year 3rd-4th paid $3,500, this year it's $5,000. So which do you think the players like more, last year's payouts or this years?

i cant argue well put

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny has not responded to my inquiries about playing. I'm not sure if he's even coming to DCC. Newest entries include Brian Brekke and Eric Durbin.

Please confirm Brian Brekke is in and not Brian Groce. A friend of Groce thought he was in.

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
I was at Tunica in July. The matches on the 10 foot tables were my favorite. You actually get to see these guys play some strategy. I am glad there are going to be more matches played on them at the Derby. My favorite match at Tunica was Landon vs. Earl. I'm sure it wasn't Earl's favorite, but it was fun to watch Landon deal with Earl.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member

Last year first place paid $12,000, this year it's $15,000! Last year second place paid $7,000, this year it's $15,000. Last year 3rd-4th paid $3,500, this year it's $5,000. So which do you think the players like more, last year's payouts or this years?

FIFY :D chop chop

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at Tunica in July. The matches on the 10 foot tables were my favorite. You actually get to see these guys play some strategy. I am glad there are going to be more matches played on them at the Derby. My favorite match at Tunica was Landon vs. Earl. I'm sure it wasn't Earl's favorite, but it was fun to watch Landon deal with Earl.

That was the best match of the event. The whole crowd was obviously behind Landon in the match, was great to see. And at that point Landon was playing the best on the tables of ANYONE left in the event.

Then they moved the 10 ft to the accu-stats arena, and well that was Landons undoing. I really believe if it was left on the outside tables he had a great shot to win the event.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay,

I look forward to seeing your event again. It is always one worth watching. I hope to play in it someday. You said the semis and the finals will be in the accustate arena. Is there going to be two tables in the arena? (9 ft and 10ft tables) How is that going to work. Just wondering.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the best match of the event. The whole crowd was obviously behind Landon in the match, was great to see. And at that point Landon was playing the best on the tables of ANYONE left in the event.

Then they moved the 10 ft to the accu-stats arena, and well that was Landons undoing. I really believe if it was left on the outside tables he had a great shot to win the event.

The kid played outstanding. I wonder when he'll start playing full time (in terms of high level tourneys)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would get in it but don't want to reveal my speed to the world and ruin my hustle.

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay,
This should be a scheduling nightmare! HaHa! Glad we will be working with you. Sounds like a great event. Looking forward to it.

BTW, where at Derby are they putting the 10 footers? In the hallway? Room was pretty tight already!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,

I look forward to seeing your event again. It is always one worth watching. I hope to play in it someday. You said the semis and the finals will be in the accustate arena. Is there going to be two tables in the arena? (9 ft and 10ft tables) How is that going to work. Just wondering.

They will swap it out on the last day for the Ten Ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,
This should be a scheduling nightmare! HaHa! Glad we will be working with you. Sounds like a great event. Looking forward to it.

BTW, where at Derby are they putting the 10 footers? In the hallway? Room was pretty tight already!

Two will be downstairs (on one side) and the other two are in the Straight Pool room. We're sharing those tables.

Last edited:

JohnInNH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay,

Thanks for all you do for pool, should be a great event, I'm looking forward to watching as many 10 ball matches that I will have time for.

Good luck with the event.

John

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Johnny Archer's in!

Great news, Jay. I think many people have, somehow, managed to forget that Johnny took two out of three races to 25 in ten ball against Shane in their 2012 TAR match. Add his exceptional form at the Mosconi Cup to that and his chances have to be taken very seriously. I wish him luck.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Great news, Jay. I think many people have, somehow, managed to forget that Johnny took two out of three races to 25 in ten ball against Shane in their 2012 TAR match. Add his exceptional form at the Mosconi Cup to that and his chances have to be taken very seriously. I wish him luck.

While I only saw a portion of the following match (because I was playing in another event at the same time), it was only a few months ago in New Iberia, LA at Emerald Billiards. Archer and Van Boening were playing in the Dragon Promotions Championship Cloth Pro Classic 10 Ball Championship.

Shane ran the first 4 racks and won another to make it 5-0 before Johnny even got on the board. Shane eventually stretched the lead to a wide margin of 9-2 racing to 11 before Johnny made one of the most awesome runs I have ever heard of against two top players. Johnny managed to make it back to hill-hill and Shane finally managed to win the last game and win the event. Johnny doesn't have any quit in him. For an old guy, he can still swing it. :wink:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
While I only saw a portion of the following match (because I was playing in another event at the same time), it was only a few months ago in New Iberia, LA at Emerald Billiards. Archer and Van Boening were playing in the Dragon Promotions Championship Cloth Pro Classic 10 Ball Championship.

Shane ran the first 4 racks and won another to make it 5-0 before Johnny even got on the board. Shane eventually stretched the lead to a wide margin of 9-2 racing to 11 before Johnny made one of the most awesome runs I have ever heard of against two top players. Johnny managed to make it back to hill-hill and Shane finally managed to win the last game and win the event. Johnny doesn't have any quit in him. For an old guy, he can still swing it. :wink:

Joey, I wish you were coming. I'd love to see you doing some of the online stuff. If you come you can share my room. But you have to stay in your own bed. :D

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Joey, I wish you were coming. I'd love to see you doing some of the online stuff. If you come you can share my room. But you have to stay in your own bed. :D

I may come Jay. The real problem is justifying taking off the time from work to compete, commentate, gamble and just hang-out.

If I come to this event, I have to sit next to Stu at least some of the time to make side bets with him. He had like the worst luck the last time we did that of any man I have ever seen. Hell, even when one of Stu's favorite players was playing (Ralf), Stu would lose the bet. Maybe this time he will have better luck. :smile:

Anyway, thanks for the offer. I'll call you after I get through the holidays.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukka, Happy Mawlid an-Nabi, Happy New Year. I think I've got those holidays covered. :grin: