Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

gerryf

Yes, exactly half. I agree, not gaffed but certainly as far as they felt they could push the envelope and still get away with it. Their very well conceived plan worked to perfection, and whoever did the work on the rails / facings / angles was a real pro that knew exactly what was needed.
That makes the Table Difficulty Factor around 0.82??

That's about the easiest GC in the world, but I think everyone already knew that.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Honestly, there’s a level of logic here that is beyond belief.

Why would anyone contact Street Lights to see if their table is eligible for a world record attempt? Do you think Hathor rang Eddie Hall to make sure his equipment would count when he tried to break the deadlift world record? Of course he didn’t. He would have contacted the appropriate powerlifting organization that is responsible for ratifying the attempt.

This conversation is like a freaking Benny Hill skit, minus the 70’s babes.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE TABLE SPECS ARE !!!!!

It doesn’t matter if they are 6” pockets. It doesn’t matter if the throats are 7”. If the BCA approves the run, that’s all you need to know. It was the same for Schmidt’s run, and it will be the same for this run.

Do you want to break the record? Contact the BCA and ask them what the limits are for table specs used in solo exhibition straight runs. Then make your table to those limits and go at it to your heart’s content. It’s not up to Street Lights to prove shit to anyone here. They only have to satisfy the BCA. They’ve already been more transparent than they ever needed to be. They could have done this whole thing behind closed doors, turned in the evidence to the BCA without anyone knowing, and the first thing you hear about it is that Jayson Shaw now holds the new world record of 714 balls.

Muppets.

gerryf

Honestly, there’s a level of logic here that is beyond belief.

Why would anyone contact Street Lights to see if their table is eligible for a world record attempt? Do you think Hathor rang Eddie Hall to make sure his equipment would count when he tried to break the deadlift world record? Of course he didn’t. He would have contacted the appropriate powerlifting organization that is responsible for ratifying the attempt.

This conversation is like a freaking Benny Hill skit, minus the 70’s babes.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT THE TABLE SPECS ARE !!!!!

Muppets.
I agree, and I thought the valuable thing was that a bunch of top players were using the same table, whatever it was.

Jayson did a 714, and given time, there's a bunch of players in the world who could do the same if they put in the time. The most interesting thing I got from the whole event was the difference in style between Ruslan and the others. Would like to see more of that.

And to add to your point, the BCA obviously doesn't care if it's an 8' table or a 9' table, so they really only care about someone sinking a bunch of balls, on whatever table.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt compliments Jayson and the 714 on Straight Pool Fanatics. ~ Arnaldo
1642682424872.png

gerryf

John Schmidt also wrote on his FB

"Great run 407 by Jason Shaw I watched a lot of it and I think his patterns are fantastic shot making fantastic Pace fantastic he breaks the balls correctly one of the greatest players who ever lived and I saw him do a few things pattern wise that I really liked that I might even put into my game"

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
John Schmidt also wrote on his FB

"Great run 407 by Jason Shaw I watched a lot of it and I think his patterns are fantastic shot making fantastic Pace fantastic he breaks the balls correctly one of the greatest players who ever lived and I saw him do a few things pattern wise that I really liked that I might even put into my game"

he wrote other things as well.......

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole attitude the organizers have shown regarding keeping the pocket specs a confidential secret just rubs me the wrong way. They are basically saying to us “How dare anyone have the nerve to request us to accurately reveal the pocket specs on the table we provided for this world record high run”. Like it’s some coveted secret. They are inviting more and more speculation and questions, perhaps intentionally?

The secrecy and general attitude also rubs me the wrong way. They had a huge opportunity here and they blew it because they're doing it out of spite ;)

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why wouldn't John show Jayson the respect he deserves? Lack of respect is the trade mark reserved for the rest of the industry behind the curtain.
Oh I'm glad he did.

Shane had great things to say about Fedor' s game recently after winning Arizona Open again and a 2nd to Shaw at Turning Stone.

ANTJR122

Registered
So I said that the gist of your belief was essentially that you felt that if anybody could have broken Mosconi's record during that time they would have, and that the record was the big incentive and that it wasn't broken not for lack of incentive but for lack of the players being able to break it because they just aren't good enough and Mosconi was just that much above them. You say show me. Well here you go. There are other threads I remember where you are much more explicit about it, but this one makes it clear enough even though you are certain to now do your best to try to wordsmith around it.

Also funny, in light of that insanely long thread about John Schmidt breaking the record, the one where you repeatedly state that you have serious doubts that the record breaking run actually happened even though it is on video, and had people people who witnessed it in person, and had some of the most esteemed, knowledgeable and respected members of the pool community who closely analyzed the video and verified the run, and the official authorizing body for the record, the BCA, officially recognizing it as having been proven to be the new record, etc, and none of that was good enough for you, but here you are in post #95 essentially saying that unless there is a good reason not to we should just take people's word's about their high runs. Lol.
And here you are in post #78 taking one single person's word about another run that at the time would have beaten the record, yet all John's overwhelming massive evidence somehow wasn't good enough for you. More lol.

You would take one single person's word for it when it comes to a run by your exalted hero Mosconi, but for some guy you dislike and don't want to see have the record, for that guy a full video, in person witnesses, official recognition from the governing body over the record, confirmation of the run from some of the most respected and knowledgeable people and pros in the industry, etc, still isn't good enough for you. It's the adult version of closing your eyes and putting your hands over your ears to drown out what somebody is telling you and saying, while rocking back and forth, "not true, not true, not true, not true" simply because you don't want it to be true.

So I decided to put another couple of minutes into it and here is another post from another thread with you being even more explicit about your whole "if they could have they would have but they haven't because they can't" belief just like I had said. And there are plenty of others.

Changing topics, and I'm going to quote it because I'm sure it is going to get edited, but here is Harriman saying that he would put a lot more weight on a high run caught on video than he would on Mosconi's run with a signed affidavit. We all know how that turned out. It's amazing how easily humans can deny the truth when they don't like the truth, isn't it?

"I have no room for a table, while I am not a huge believer in technology I do think the camera would be more definitive than 15 people who signed a piece of paper."
One thing that I have not seen in this discussion is that (supposedly) Mosconi did not miss after running 526 balls in exhibition but simply stopped shooting (perhaps he ran out of time in the exhibition or was tired).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing that I have not seen in this discussion is that (supposedly) Mosconi did not miss after running 526 balls in exhibition but simply stopped shooting (perhaps he ran out of time in the exhibition or was tired).
No, the better evidence is that he missed on the 527th shot.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The secrecy and general attitude also rubs me the wrong way. They had a huge opportunity here and they blew it because they're doing it out of spite ;)
Yeah but based on the best overhead corner pocket photos recently shown of the table with two balls frozen sitting just inside the mouth, and the work of some of the pool detectives on here, it is basically no longer a secret.

Whether they like it or not, we’re looking at a table with corner pockets that measure 5-1/4 inches at the mouth, 4-3/4 inches at the drop off point, and 139° pocket facing angles.

As far as I’m concerned until I hear otherwise from the organizers that have chosen to keep this a coveted secret, that’s is what it is.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...we’re looking at a table with corner pockets that measure 5-1/4 inches at the mouth, 4-3/4 inches at the drop off point, and 139° pocket facing angles.
This confuses me a little. In order to narrow from 5 1/4" to 4 3/4" (1/4" per side) with 139° facing angles, the throat would have to be more than 3.5" from the mouth, well past the slate drop off point (even past the far edge of the cushion, where I think the throat should be measured).

In order for the pocket to narrow from 5.23" at the mouth to 4.58" at the back of the cushion as shown in the pic, the facing angle must be ~141.5° (very close to WPA's recommended spec of 142-143°).

I don't fully trust these "photo measurements" anyway - too much likelihood of distortion. Camera perspective can't distort an actual ruler laid across the mouth and throat - I'd buy that without question.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This confuses me a little. In order to narrow from 5 1/4" to 4 3/4" (1/4" per side) with 139° facing angles, the throat would have to be more than 3.5" from the mouth, well past the the slate drop off point (even past the far edge of the cushion, where I think the throat should be measured).

pj
chgo
Perhaps the 4-3/4” measurement was deeper in the pocket beyond the dropoff point. All I know is I used a protractor and using the straight line of the rail cushion and the extended red line of the pocket facings, I measured it a few times, both sides, and came up with 139°.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Perhaps the 4-3/4” measurement was deeper in the pocket beyond the dropoff point. All I know is I used a protractor and using the straight line of the rail cushion and the extended red line of the pocket facings, I measured it a few times, both sides, and came up with 139°.
I think the angles in the photo can be distorted by the camera perspective.

pj
chgo

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Lets face it, there is no table this record could be set on where nobody would whine about some aspect of it. 3.75 inch pocket GC modified for deeper shelves? "He's got more rail to work with, it's easier not to scratch". Diamond with 4.5 inch pro cut: "The cushions are to lively, he doesn't need to stroke the ball".

The only way some people would be happy is if the table was impossible to break the record on, and the players had to play with cue without a tip on it and no chalk.

If the table is too easy to break the record on, find a similar one, or better yet, play on the same one and see how you do. The very best thing would be to demand a pocket template be made by the BCA or WPA, but that's not going to happen in any of our lifetimes.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't read a lot of the recent posts, but there was one post a few days back in one of the threads by I think RKC. I believe he said something to the effect that with a 5" mouth, and factory GC angles, two balls would touch at the throat of the pocket. (I'm paraphrasing and perhaps I'm remembering wrong...)

I went to my table, which is a factory GC4, with the factory pockets. When two balls are placed in the back of the jaws (throat), as far as they go before dropping off the slate, there is about 1/8" gap between them (by eye). I checked all 4 corners, in case the entire rail sub-assembly was shifted on the slate, making the shelf depth different on each pocket. All 4 were the same.

I'm the third owner, but it was always privately owned, never in a pool hall. I think its only had 3 re-coverings in its lifetime. I say this because I'm not 100% they are stock, but the probability is super high that they are.

When I saw the first pictures of the GC3 used here, I too thought the pocket facings were modified to be excessively easy, and excessively beyond a factory GC. However, seeing the more recent pictures, and going to my table and seeing its pocket, I now think they are at least in the ballpark of a stock GC.

Still, I agree a bevel gauge measurement would be nice to see.