Earl and Meucci again..

iwilleatyou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Lisa

I was in the elevator, by myself, at the Holiday Inn at the 1992 U.S. Open, when you and Earl bust in, laughing and having a good old time. I was a 17 year old geek from Michigan who had to get back to school on Monday. I had a headache and you gave me some aspirin. Can you imagine me, as big a pool fan as you could be back then and friggin Earl and this beautiful lady are standing right next to me! Big thrill for me at the time. He was like Mickey Mantle to me. Anyway, good luck to you two!

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Just talked to Earl and was informed he and Meucci Cues will be teaming up again.Earl and Bob have a long history together with Earl winning many titles with a Meucci Cue.Congrats Earl and the very BEST of luck ...
Lisa Moss Strickland

This is good news for Earl and I hope this will help him in his quest to winning big tournaments again. I met Bob Meucci at the US Open and he was a nice guy to talk to. He said that he loved to play golf and he'd been playing a lot lately. I remember years ago when Earl played with Meucci cues and he did very well using them.

James

stevemcqueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
re

I asked him about that today and he said that its ok.personally i think it is ashame hes been in more than anyone and his record there has been great.hey but its ok and their choice..Go USA

so earl is not on the team at all? what a shame indeed. well it just won't be the same without him! i don't know if i can watch it now...
give him my best regards from glasgow, and hope to see him over here sometime in the near future.

cheers

steve.

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
Meucci cues are pretty a poor excuse for a cue. IMO the old ones were too for the most part.

I giggle when I see folks say they had "one" that played great. IMO, they wouldnt know a great cue if they saw one.

Earl could or can play with any cue. So saying he plays great with a Meucci is in my opinion an insult to Earl and to anyone with a clue.

It isnt the arrow boys, its the indian.

Ken

not tryin to pick a fight but i still own that "one" (a simple E2 model) and i can still run a rack with it just as well as i can with my custom. the price wasn't a bad factor, i only paid about 300 for it with two shafts compared to the grand i spent on a custom. they were good cues when the quality control was there. sadly that hasn't been for quite some time. if i didn't didn't beat the piss out of it when i was younger it would still look good too. the cue was well made. i no longer really like that whippy shaft but i do like to break it out once in a while and draw a cue ball all the way from atlanta to miami. and you are correct it's not the arrow, like i said i shoot the same with any of my cues or a decent house cue.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not tryin to pick a fight but i still own that "one" (a simple E2 model) and i can still run a rack with it just as well as i can with my custom. the price wasn't a bad factor, i only paid about 300 for it with two shafts compared to the grand i spent on a custom. they were good cues when the quality control was there. sadly that hasn't been for quite some time. if i didn't didn't beat the piss out of it when i was younger it would still look good too. the cue was well made. i no longer really like that whippy shaft but i do like to break it out once in a while and draw a cue ball all the way from atlanta to miami. and you are correct it's not the arrow, like i said i shoot the same with any of my cues or a decent house cue.

Not me. I really cant play a lick with a house cue, or a cue I am not familiar with.

I know back in the "good old days" the hustlers would play off the wall, but I think it is pretty well accepted that the house cues were properly taken care of back then. Still got to respect someone who can play one.

Ken

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good friend of mine, a road player named Geese, used to play with a Meucci in the '70s and '80s.

I was told that the "old" Meuccis had a lot of "whip," which complements some players' shooting style.

The "new" Meuccis, again, from what I was told, do not seem to have this same "whip" that the old Meuccis did.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not me. I really cant play a lick with a house cue, or a cue I am not familiar with.

I know back in the "good old days" the hustlers would play off the wall, but I think it is pretty well accepted that the house cues were properly taken care of back then. Still got to respect someone who can play one.

Ken

In the "good old days," you had road warriors, action men, who had no fear. They stepped up to the plate and gave it their best shot, to include playing on crappy equipment and warped house cues.

Today, many players seem to want to gamble with a game that's a lock, rather than, well, gamble. :grin-square:

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
I hope Earl plays with the cue with the fishhooks on it. I always liked that one. The "Gambler" with the cards and dice was pretty cool too.

sly_shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they are the same.

The new Meucci and the new Meucci are the same too...

LMFAO

Meucci cues are pretty a poor excuse for a cue. IMO the old ones were too for the most part. But alot of cues were bad then, and it seems that nostalga we like to say or think they were great cues. I have had probably 50 of them over the years and they werent much compared to most of the custom cues of today. Thats true of cars and alot of things too.

I giggle when I see folks say they had "one" that played great. IMO, they wouldnt know a great cue if they saw one.

Earl could or can play with any cue. So saying he plays great with a Meucci is in my opinion an insult to Earl and to anyone with a clue.

It isnt the arrow boys, its the indian.

Ken

Are you trying to imply that a Meucci cue won't improve his game over the
Gulyassy pool cue he has been playing with? Seems like people here think it's great that he went to a Meucci because it will improve his game.
Now we will all buy a Meucci just like we all bought a Cuetec, or Scorpion cue because Johnny Archer plays with them.

Or did he play with Cuetec because they gave him $30,000 a year according to one source. I wonder if they got their $30,000 worth.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Are you trying to imply that a Meucci cue won't improve his game over the
Gulyassy pool cue he has been playing with? Seems like people here think it's great that he went to a Meucci because it will improve his game.
Now we will all buy a Meucci just like we all bought a Cuetec, or Scorpion cue because Johnny Archer plays with them.

Or did he play with Cuetec because they gave him $30,000 a year according to one source. I wonder if they got their $30,000 worth.

I'm a custom cuemaker and I love Meucci cues! I've made many a house payment doing repair work on them over the years. Bob Meucci used to get pissed at David Howard when he'd see his cue with a good ferrule on it! David would tell him that the ferrule broke and he got it replaced. Bob would respond that he had plenty of shafts and could get all he needed. LOL

I've always considered Meucci cues in the same catagory as a Bic Lighter! You are buying a disposable lighter/cue. You can use it up, throw it away and buy another, or have a cuemaker repair it, since they cost a bit more than the Bic. I once asked Bob Meucci why he used the soft thermoplastics in his cues and his response at the time was "Sherm, I don't want to make cues that last forever! Sooner or later I'd run out of people to sell them to!" I guess if you have a high enough production, that could be true. I will say that Bob was unparalleled at cue marketing and he once had some great artwork with reasonably good fit & finish. A whole generation of pool players grew up playing with Meucci cues. Hell I even owned a couple! I keep hearing in the forums that he's outsourcing his manufacturing to Asia but I don't know if that's true or not.

I do know that some players prefer the feel, taper, and flexibility of a Meucci cue! I'm personally not one of them, but I do respect a persons right to like what he wants to and I know that for Earl, playing with a Meucci will probably be a very good move. He was at his best when he used one and I hope it will help him out of his slump and help him to regain his confidence and composure!

I'm pulling for you Earl!

just more hot air!

Sherm

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
so earl is not on the team at all? what a shame indeed. well it just won't be the same without him! i don't know if i can watch it now...
give him my best regards from glasgow, and hope to see him over here sometime in the near future.

Earl adds a lot to the Mosconi Cup whether the audience likes him or hates him he brings excitement to the matches. I may not agree with everything Earl does, but he's still one of my favorite players to watch and i'm not alone. Nobody draws more spectators than Earl does!

James

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
When Earl and I were married we travelled so much out of the year and I handled the business side all i wanted Earl to do was practice practice.So no I never played it was his job..I think this is the BEST thing that Earl could do for himself and his game....

Your not available are you?? :lol: :lol:

elizabeth

Lisa Strickland
Silver Member
Your not available are you?? :lol: :lol:

I have been reading eveyones responses and it has been GREAT.You are always going have a few that have their own opinion which will result negative responses thats okay..This was my way of letting Earls supporters know what he is up to to better himself and his game..As far as the Meucci Cue goes all I can say is Earl will be living by the plant and everyone knows how he feels about perfection well I do anyways I am sure Earl will give his input he has never been shy in that department and Bob Meucci is a great business man so we will see how it goes..As far as the Mosconi Cup well theres next year...Thanks you again for your wonderful responses..
Lisa

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Earl would have won with a house cue. He is just a natural talent. The only thing that holds Earl back, is Earl. Switching cues, tennis wraps, elbow braces etc does nothing for him. He was winning without it. He reminds me of the movie "Tincup".

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have been reading eveyones responses and it has been GREAT.You are always going have a few that have their own opinion which will result negative responses thats okay..This was my way of letting Earls supporters know what he is up to to better himself and his game..As far as the Meucci Cue goes all I can say is Earl will be living by the plant and everyone knows how he feels about perfection well I do anyways I am sure Earl will give his input he has never been shy in that department and Bob Meucci is a great business man so we will see how it goes..As far as the Mosconi Cup well theres next year...Thanks you again for your wonderful responses..
Lisa

There is a pool tournament THIS WEEK in Jackson, MS. Starts Thursday-One pocket and then bar table tournament starts on Saturday. $1,000 added for one pocket and $4,000 added for 9 Ball tournament. Also there are some Ring Games going on, I assume on the big tables playing either 9 ball or ten ball.....FWIW.

Let me know if Earl decides to show. It might make a difference whether I go or not.
thanks,

JoeyA

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
No reason to push the cues, Lisa. We all know that Meucci cues are bottom tier and that Earl could win shooting with a broken broomstick, left handed, and with both eyes tied behind his back. It's not the cue. The man has talent.
MULLY
and I'm his number one fan:grin:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I'm a custom cuemaker and I love Meucci cues! I've made many a house payment doing repair work on them over the years. Bob Meucci used to get pissed at David Howard when he'd see his cue with a good ferrule on it! David would tell him that the ferrule broke and he got it replaced. Bob would respond that he had plenty of shafts and could get all he needed. LOL

I've always considered Meucci cues in the same catagory as a Bic Lighter! You are buying a disposable lighter/cue. You can use it up, throw it away and buy another, or have a cuemaker repair it, since they cost a bit more than the Bic. I once asked Bob Meucci why he used the soft thermoplastics in his cues and his response at the time was "Sherm, I don't want to make cues that last forever! Sooner or later I'd run out of people to sell them to!" I guess if you have a high enough production, that could be true. I will say that Bob was unparalleled at cue marketing and he once had some great artwork with reasonably good fit & finish. A whole generation of pool players grew up playing with Meucci cues. Hell I even owned a couple! I keep hearing in the forums that he's outsourcing his manufacturing to Asia but I don't know if that's true or not.

I do know that some players prefer the feel, taper, and flexibility of a Meucci cue! I'm personally not one of them, but I do respect a persons right to like what he wants to and I know that for Earl, playing with a Meucci will probably be a very good move. He was at his best when he used one and I hope it will help him out of his slump and help him to regain his confidence and composure!

I'm pulling for you Earl!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Back in the early years I bought my first 2 cues, which happened to be Meucci, from Sherm.
MULLY

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Thank you Lisa, I've learned more about Earl in the last 15 minutes than the last 15 years. Appreciate it. Don