Ernesto Dominguez; Some or his work.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Cobra, get off this forum now! :)

I am waiting patiently for you to come and put my new Diamond table in. Please hurray! I have no table to practice on and Joy Boy is breathing down my neck.

I hope to see Glen early next week. He will be delivering a Diamond table that I purchased at the DCC.

By the way, Ernesto has worked on a series of Brunswick tables that I owned and he did a great job on all of them, especially my old Sport King. I should have kept that old box. What a table!
Jay, I have one more table left to work on, turning a 9ft Diamond ProAm into a one pocket table with 4" corners, and 4 1/2" sides, then I'm off to Vegas to pick up your table for delivery:D

Glen

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Franky said:
I am not a table mechanic. I do remember them explicitly saying that the way they do it helps prevent puckering of the cloth and also cushions the edge of the slate. I'm sure that there is a trade off in terms of aesthetics vs risk of puckering cloth in how the cloth is pulled and stapled at the pockets...but again, I'm no table mechanic.

You pocket looks cleaner, but who am I to say that its "better" in terms of reducing the chance of puckering, cushioning the edge of the slate, and durability?

If I ever purchase a Diamond, I would certainly be happy to have you install it...just be sure to be chilled out and its all good! :)
I'm chilled, I've been frozen for the last 2 damn months up in the north, can't wait to get back to Vegas to warm up:D And puckers??? Not a chance...LOL

Glen

asiasdad

Banned
realkingcobra said:
Just a quick thought about your statement. I think you're right about both of them when refering to Brunswick tables, but I think being thought of as the "Best" that also should include ALL other types of tables as well...such as bar tables too, including but not limited to Valley, Dynamo, Global, and Diamonds, as few GREAT billiards technicians have the ability to cover these tables as well as Brunswick tables at the same time, with the same quality of work, just something to think about when defining the "BEST":D

Glen

Actually the "Man of the Cloth" has to be the best table mechanic
in the country as he has been screwing up peoples tables here
in the Pacific Northwest for over 40 years
without once ever catching a bullet :eek:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
asiasdad said:
Actually the "Man of the Cloth" has to be the best table mechanic
in the country as he has been screwing up peoples tables here
in the Pacific Northwest for over 40 years
without once ever catching a bullet :eek:
LMAO:D :D :D :confused:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Jay, I have one more table left to work on, turning a 9ft Diamond ProAm into a one pocket table with 4" corners, and 4 1/2" sides, then I'm off to Vegas to pick up your table for delivery:D

Glen

In my opinion, 4 1/2" sides are too tight. I think 4 3/4" should be the smallest. I had a table set up that way and it was too narrow on the angle shots.

As far as I'm concerned, the trend toward tight tables was started by Ernesto. He has made these tables popular among better players on the West Coast, then it spread.

If he thinks a K-66 profile plays better with his cut, so be it. The proof is in the popularity and the play. I could care less if the table playing surface is 1/4" larger. He cut the rails on my last two tables. The corners are 4" and you can fire a ball along the rail (near it) at break speed and it will drop if it hits within the point. I have tested many tables and very few will pass this test - yet every table Ernesto has set up with fresh rubber will do it.

His tables are tough but fair. He's also a perfectionist. When he leveled my 3 piece slate (Brunswick Gibson) it took nearly 3 hours and it's perfect.

That being said, I can't say if Ernesto's tables play better than yours., but they play better than any other tables I've tried.

Chris

thebestpoolroom

thepoolroom
Silver Member
Mark Gregory

FOR THOSE WHO LIVE IN THE EAST COAST, PARTICULARLY IN THE SOUTH, MARK GREGORY IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST TABLE MECHANIC. HIS NUMBER IS 770-548-4292. HE HAS DONE NUMEROUS JOBS FOR MY POOL ROOMS FOR MANY YEARS NOW. I HIGHLY RECOMEND HIS SERVICE.

JOHN DuONG

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
His tables are tough but fair. He's also a perfectionist. When he leveled my 3 piece slate (Brunswick Gibson) it took nearly 3 hours and it's perfect.
I think Ernesto made Hollywood's tables too tough. :eek:
Johnny and company were missing rail shots last week.
He should keep them at 4 3/8 or 7/16 not 4 1/8 corners.

He did mine at 4 7/16 corners after ALMOST making them 4 1/8th. I told him no. The sides are pretty tough. WAY WAY too tight.
He levels tables perfectly.
Pulls the cloth the best way too. Some of his tables who are now being done by different mechanics just do not roll the same way b/c of the cloth replacement.
Ernesto's the best. No doubt about it.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My guess is the Ernesto and RealKingCobra are two of the best out there and I am sure there are many others that are very good at their craft. I would say anyone that is fortunate enough to have their table worked on by either of these gentleman should consider themselves lucky. I will not get into specifics or individuals but I have played in several pool rooms that use "discount" mechanics and it really sucks playing on poorly covered equipment.

-don

MexPoolPlyr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Just a quick thought about your statement. I think you're right about both of them when refering to Brunswick tables, but I think being thought of as the "Best" that also should include ALL other types of tables as well...such as bar tables too, including but not limited to Valley, Dynamo, Global, and Diamonds, as few GREAT billiards technicians have the ability to cover these tables as well as Brunswick tables at the same time, with the same quality of work, just something to think about when defining the "BEST":D

Glen

Have you ever actually seen his work??? My dad respects EVERYBODY, even the terrible mechanics. Im glad you seem to have lots of work. Good for you. But you shouldn't say that he ONLY does Brunswick tables because it is FAR from true. We do all types of tables (Billiards, Snooker, barboxes, etc.). You dont live with him and you dont see the type of work he does. I do. He's a well respected person and mechanic.

He could care less if he is not considered the best. He nor I have ever said we were. We are just trying to make a living like everyone else. If you still feel the need to talk shit, please feel free to give me a call. Thanks. Oscar Dominguez

818-362-5636

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MexPoolPlyr said:
Have you ever actually seen his work??? My dad respects EVERYBODY, even the terrible mechanics. Im glad you seem to have lots of work. Good for you. But you shouldn't say that he ONLY does Brunswick tables because it is FAR from true. We do all types of tables (Billiards, Snooker, barboxes, etc.). You dont live with him and you dont see the type of work he does. I do. He's a well respected person and mechanic.

He could care less if he is not considered the best. He nor I have ever said we were. We are just trying to make a living like everyone else. If you still feel the need to talk shit, please feel free to give me a call. Thanks. Oscar Dominguez

818-362-5636

Oscar laying down the law, cant we all just get along?

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MexPoolPlyr said:

818-362-5636

Oscar laying down the law, cant we all just get along?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
MexPoolPlyr said:
Have you ever actually seen his work???
I said yes, I've seen his work. Tell me something, when you guys went through and recovered the Brunswick 9fts at the Cue Club in Vegas, how many of the Global bar boxes did you guys recover? Like I said, I'm not knocking your dads work, I just don't agree with the incorrect installation of K66 cushions on Brunswick tables. Think about it and answer me this question. If it was the correct cushions to install on Brunswick tables, then why would you have to alter the sub-rails to fit the cushions on them? When you install K55 cushions on Brunswick tables, you don't have to change the sub-rails at all!

Glen

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm the best! Know I'm the Best ! Know I'm sure I'm the best so you can't be if I'm the best. There can only be one,and I'm it and your not.
O'Yea! Brunswick s the best because they say so,BUT Olhausen and Diamond say the same. Damn I'm confused......

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
He gave you his number....

man up and call him if you got questions. This thread is/was not anything about you. You got a problem with them,start your own thread.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When you install Artimus K66 cushions on a Brunswick or Diamond table, if you line it up flush with the top of the sub-rail like its suppose to be mounted, the point of the cushions are at 1 9/16" of an inch high...oops, to high. So then when you slide down the cushions to get the nose height at 1 7/16" which is the correct height, you have an 1/8" inch of sub-rail sticking out on the top of the sub-rail. Then when you remove that 1/8th inch to make it look like it fits right, what you've done is make it almost impossible for someone to come back and install the correct K55 cushions on the same table...because an 1/8th inch of the sub-rail behind the K55 cushions is now missing, and the K55 cushions are now sticking up in the air an 1/8th inch above the modified sub-rail, so that now has to be dadoed out, replaced, and re-profiled to accept the correct K55 cushions. And because the K66 cushions are designed to be mounted on a sub-rail with an 18 degree bevel face instead of the 21 degrees used by Brunswick and Diamond determined by the correct installation of K55 profile cushions, by sliding down the K66 cushions to get them to the correct cushion height, you've done nothing to correct the angle of the cushion to the balls, its still standing at a more upward angle than what the cushions were designed for, which causes the table to play sort of slow, because now instead of rebounding the balls like the cushions are suppose to do, the point of the cushion kind of lifts upward causing a pinching effect on the balls, which is what causes them to play slower than the correct use of the K55 cushions, designed for these tables.

Respond to that!

Glen

PS. Just because someones done something a certain way for a long time, that still don't make it right.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Jeez... what's this forum turned into?... now we have the table mechanics pissin' in each others' cornflakes.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't claim to be the best, but I do claim to know my job, and this industry, and if that makes me the best, then so be it!:rolleyes:

Glen