Fixing the For Sale forum. Actual solutions with links to mods and plugins.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess my response to this would be "so what".

Does that mean the leading forum in the industry should ride the fad out, rest on their laurels or look for ways to improve traffic and return users.

The logical response from a business perspective would be the latter.

I agree with you to a certain point. Yes, some would have migrated anyway but I think a lot have migrated because its the lessor of two evils and that's where the action is.

I believe a lot of people prefer the forum format to Facebooks. Especially since Facebook isn't set up with any kind of trader rating etc.

Bottom line is if AZB can make solid improvements that are for the benefit of the users, slowly but surely, the ones who migrated away will return.

AZ could use a dose of positive progress.

I completely agree with you except on one point.

I am not sure who and how many have migrated. I see the same sellers on Facebook continuing to post here in the WFS section. Sure, many of the people who ONLY came to AZ to comment in the WFS section don't come here or come here as often.

But some people just like to bash AZ. They are going to speak negatively about AZ and are probably people who won't admit they still visit here.

I also agree about the FB problem of lacking a user-friendly trader rating system which brings-up a greater problem with Facebook. With so many Facebook pages, unscrupulous sellers/traders just move from forum to forum. People banned from AZ are scamming people on Facebook. Those same people might get banned/removed from a certain Facebook page, but they just move to the next one.

dom_poppa

Banned
Facebook is the new Ebay. People are now being scammed on FB and FB won't do anything about it. Lets face it their medium for selling cues are not very good.

I rather post and buy on a Billiards website, than go the route of Facebook.

FB is trying to dominate how we use the internet and I refuse to post there and rather post all the content about pool on here.

Don't buy on FB or sell....you will get scammed.

dom_poppa

Banned
I completely agree with you except on one point.

I am not sure who and how many have migrated. I see the same sellers on Facebook continuing to post here in the WFS section. Sure, many of the people who ONLY came to AZ to comment in the WFS section don't come here or come here as often.

But some people just like to bash AZ. They are going to speak negatively about AZ and are probably people who won't admit they still visit here.

I also agree about the FB problem of lacking a user-friendly trader rating system which brings-up a greater problem with Facebook. With so many Facebook pages, unscrupulous sellers/traders just move from forum to forum. People banned from AZ are scamming people on Facebook. Those same people might get banned/removed from a certain Facebook page, but they just move to the next one.

I agree...there are so many people on other sites that speak negatively about us but they continue to lurk. Here is the sad part, they read a thread on AZB and continue their conversation with a link to a thread here. Talk about copying.

Also, FB is not a site for commerce. They are a social media site. They are not going to implement a rating system because it just doesn't make sense for them to.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a suggestion worthy of consideration but in practical terms, if a cuemaker can not afford a website or have their own time to maintain one, a Facebook page is the easiest solution.

Another tricky question would be defining a cuemaker and the eligibility for their own sub-forum.
Anyone can have a website for 30 bucks a month. But a quality website beyond a template that is optimized and maintained runs into the thousands.

I know firsthand with the two websites and businesses I run.

FB's just a piece of the puzzle and it takes a lot of work to drive traffic and make it relevant.

So from the most practical aspect you would consider the huge built in audience you have here. That would be an enormous value. Then simply share and link to your site or FB page when appropriate. Again that would be how you would capitalize on a AZB storefront. From an SEO standpoint you want it all to harmonize together but the most direct to customer action would be right here on the forum.

As far as eligibility...you're over thinking it. Anyone's good to go as long as they're paid up for their subforum and post content that is relevant.

Obviously these sub forums aren't designed for someone to use them for say a political platform. Keep it billiard related. This works for flippers, cue makers, dealers...etc.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as eligibility...you're over thinking it. Anyone's good to go as long as they're paid up for their subforum and post content that is relevant.

By last count there were +800 people calling themselves cuemakers.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By last count there were +800 people calling themselves cuemakers.
If AZB decided to do this and had 800 people lining up to pay 200-300 a year for a subforum I'm not sure that would be a bad thing.

There are a thousand ways to flesh this out. I would start with a sample of 5-8 and gauge the activity and response. Then look to expand after 6 months with improvements and changes.

I don't see a reality where there are a 100+ subforums but I also don't think 100 cue makers posting about their work and sharing content would be a bad thing.

If I had to guess I think there would be a combination of 10-30 cue makers, dealers and flippers that would make regular contributions to their own personal sub forum. A manageable number.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If AZB decided to do this and had 800 people lining up to pay 200-300 a year for a subforum I'm not sure that would be a bad thing.

There are a thousand ways to flesh this out. I would start with a sample of 5-8 and gauge the activity and response. Then look to expand after 6 months with improvements and changes.

I don't see a reality where there are a 100+ subforums but I also don't think 100 cue makers posting about their work and sharing content would be a bad thing.

If I had to guess I think there would be a combination of 10-30 cue makers, dealers and flippers that would make regular contributions to their own personal sub forum. A manageable number.

It's an idea worth exploring, but I would suggest a lower fee to make it attractive and affordable.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Rule #1. Be considerate of others and their items for sale.

It seemed like there was less bumping of threads when there was no rule about it. Of course, there are always exceptions, but it seems like things went a lot smoother a few years ago.(however, there seemed to be less forum police and wanna-be dealers back then also)
I agree a flood of new sellers arrived with a bit of crassness. It was like an OD of items for sale.

The police always irritated me too after those 47 hour bumps.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Facebook is the new Ebay. People are now being scammed on FB and FB won't do anything about it. Lets face it their medium for selling cues are not very good.

I rather post and buy on a Billiards website, than go the route of Facebook.

FB is trying to dominate how we use the internet and I refuse to post there and rather post all the content about pool on here.

Don't buy on FB or sell....you will get scammed.

People get scammed here the i trader numbers don't always mean your guaranteed a good sale
The reason there was a change in the Forsale section is not because of the buyers it's because of the sellers and thier buddy buddy system ,
As a buyer I see zero problem with it ,, I don't need to hear what a great cue it's is or bump for a great seller
They act like the buyers need that info ,, news flash they don't
No need to fix what's not broken

dom_poppa

Banned
People get scammed here the i trader numbers don't always mean your guaranteed a good sale
The reason there was a change in the Forsale section is not because of the buyers it's because of the sellers and thier buddy buddy system ,
As a buyer I see zero problem with it ,, I don't need to hear what a great cue it's is or bump for a great seller

My point in why AZB is a good place to buy? Easy. One look at a poster's history, you can determine who they are. It is not as easy on Facebook. I can make fake Facebook account so easily.

If I wanted to know if a seller was legit. All I have to do is view his profile and read his posting history. You cannot make up posting history.

I have sold some things on here but I have 0 iTrader but you can search my profile and post to know that I am an active member on this site and have been for a very long time. I post here quite frequently and consider this my home. I would not shit where I eat.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sometimes those simple, almost pointless, posts do bring a bit of value.

For example if I'm looking at a cue that is for sale by JoeBob and I have no idea who JoeBob is and he only has 1 positive itrader...but I've done business with his friend Jimmy. Jimmy posts in JoeBob's For Sale thread basically vouching for JoeBob's character.

Obviously no guarantee that you won't get screwed but those things do help and do play a role in who some of use choose to do business with.

Even more so when guys with big itrader rep vouch for new cue makers...etc.

dom_poppa

Banned
It is best people stay away from the For Sale section if they don't like it.

You guys are fortunate enough to have at least an avenue like AZB to flip your products. If you don't like it then there are many other places.

Very simple. You don't need a college degree to know this.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes those simple, almost pointless, posts do bring a bit of value.

For example if I'm looking at a cue that is for sale by JoeBob and I have no idea who JoeBob is and he only has 1 positive itrader...but I've done business with his friend Jimmy. Jimmy posts in JoeBob's For Sale thread basically vouching for JoeBob's character.

Obviously no guarantee that you won't get screwed but those things do help and do play a role in who some of use choose to do business with.

Even more so when guys with big itrader rep vouch for new cue makers...etc.

That would be a simple pm and you can always post in the main forum and ask the question ,,
In my opinion I don't mind the comments as long as it does not bump them up ,,

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be a simple pm and you can always post in the main forum and ask the question ,,
In my opinion I don't mind the comments as long as it does not bump them up ,,

The point being that I didn't know Jimmy was a friend of JimBob until he posted in that for sale thread. I wouldn't have known to PM him. Happenstance.

The whole point is to restore the ability for us to comment without bumping the thread. I believe everyone is on the same page there.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed with this 100%!!!

Just created a post about this regarding scam that could have been prevented if we were able to comment on the thread.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=397618

Duc.

The point being that I didn't know Jimmy was a friend of JimBob until he posted in that for sale thread. I wouldn't have known to PM him. Happenstance.

The whole point is to restore the ability for us to comment without bumping the thread. I believe everyone is on the same page there.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Zero i trader

It is best people stay away from the For Sale section if they don't like it.

You guys are fortunate enough to have at least an avenue like AZB to flip your products. If you don't like it then there are many other places.

Very simple. You don't need a college degree to know this.

ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,
ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,ZERO I TRADER,

My point is, it would be nice to here from members who actually have been buying or selling cues in the WFS for awhile.
Chances are those members that have been doing this for a few years know more about why the wanted for sale section is like watching paint dry now.

We don't need the never ending advise from some one who has never bought or sold anything in the WFS section,.
I am sorry but until you have sold a few cues in there you really have no idea how it really works.

Personally I have problem with you always offering your advise or you know exactly what the problems are with the WFS but you haven't sold one thing and you refuse to shut up and listen to some of the people who have been successfully buying and selling billiard products in this forum for years.

I seen you offered real help to some one in another thread about making a web site for them.
My hat is off to you for that kind gesture, I had pretty much pegged you way differently.

If I was to make a web site it would be plain as day I had no idea what I was doing because I don't.

No offence but it is plain as day that you don't know as much about the wanted for sale section as you think.

Personally this is all stupid, just add another section with 24 hr bump and let people leave replies just like it was in the good old days.
leave the rest of the for sale sections the same.
You will have a on No bump section and one where bumping and replies are allowed.
ABC simple, everyone has the choice where they wish to list there products.
And no one has to get Butt hurt over the added section

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
put it back .let people reply and bump all they want forget all these rules
or charge a poster $1 every time he post a new one or responds on his own thread

the free forum aways is the best and all the regulations are strangling the free economy

most people with complaints had little or no feed back

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to be of this opinion as well but am now of a different mind.

Certainly some cues are clearly overpriced, but for one thing, the market is saturated by new and used product so unless something underpriced or you are selling something someone is waiting-for a sale is not likely to be immediate.

Then there are cues in the $1,500 and up price range. These take some time in the market even when priced correctly. Just because something doesn't sell in 30 days doesn't automatically mean it is overpriced, it might just be an indication that a likely buyer has not found it or doesn't have the ready funds at the moment.

Then there are the customs that are being resold. Not everyone wants a cue made for someone else. It is not going to be to the everyone's specifications, so that cue no matter the price will wait for the right buyer.

You can discount every cue by 50% and that doesn't mean that everything will sell.

I disagree. Marketing these high priced cues to pool players is akin to opening a Ferrari dealership in the ghetto.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Bishop....thanks for taking your valuable time to come up with viable mods to what we all used to enjoy.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I proposed many new ideas, many many times, and I got no response.
I'm highly surprised that Mike even looked at this thread, let alone made a reply.

Automation is the only way to go, when the entire forum is patrolled by 3 people, and they are often offline. Mike just said that he was going off the grid, that means that global administration just took a 33% hit. So we will have two people (Jerry & Wilson) to take care of the rest.

See what I'm getting at?