Got stiffed by TX's top OB Tour woman.

Dragon Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what happened last night. I don't like to gamble with women. Doesn't matter what happens, win or lose, I feel bad either way.

I've twice played this top OB Tour woman some cheap games, $5/game. The first time I beat her out of $10 & the second time she beat me also $10. No problem there. After that I told her I don't want to gamble with women. Then she started saying a whole bunch of other nonsense. I am assuming that she thinks that I am scared of her.

So tonight she saw me at a local pool hall & again wanted to play me some. I said "let's play $2/game" She laughed & refused to play. Then I said "OK let's play a race to 5 for $20 & I only have time to play for two sets. And I beat her both sets. I waited a little & see if she was going to pay me. I looked around & didn't see the money anywhere. I told her "you owe me $40". She said "yeah". That was it. Then I told "you're not going to pay me?" She again said "yeah". But still no money. So I got the hint that she was not going to pay. I just walked out.

Man, if she was a guy, something bad could have happened. But she was girl. What am I supposed to do? I think I made the right decision by just walking out. Now I have one less person to bug me.

Now of course this is only my side of the story, but this is exactly what happened last night. Some of you regular AZers were there, but did not see what's happened. I am sure you know who I am talking about. She may be funny, but not as sweet as she appears. She fooled me also.

Sorry about the rant, but I just have to let it out.

GroundHogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did the right thing!!!

WOW that is horrible!!!
By the sound of it, I think I know who you are speaking of. . . . . . If it is, who I think it is, she did almost the exact same thing to someone in Houston at the Fast Eddies tournament. . .

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dragon Cue...You should have asked for the first $20, after the first set...and not played another until you got paid. This is innappropriate behavior, no matter who it is...I see no problem with naming them, since you were stiffed...probably help others to not get suckered by this person.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Name, sir, we want the name!

People should know what she's up to so they can protect themselves.

I have absolutely no respect for those who won't pay up.

Flex

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there is never a reason to get physical with someone over money, never. So even if she was a man, that was probably the right move.

Now, if it was a man, I would have raised hell and gone around the entire hall warning not to play that person because they aren't good for their money or their word... and perhaps that could get physical if they attacked me first (that's a different story altogether).

In this case, because it is a woman... they have the keen ability to manipulate situations like this in their favor (aka crying). I'm not sure there is much you could have done other than pull her aside and talk to her calmly and tell her to pay you and that if she does not, that you will make sure she doesn't ever gamble in your town again by telling people about it.

To me, you gotta tell us all her name because if what you say happened happened... she doesn't deserve anonymity, she deserves embarrassment and justice.

It takes a pretty low form of life to ask someone to gamble, against their will by questioning their manhood, then getting beat and not paying up.

On second thought, I would have made that ***** cry. :eek:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Well, this reminds me of a similar experience I once had with a fairly well known female player. About 10 years ago I was just getting back to playing after about seven years away from the game, and she and I decided to "practice" together so we could both get our games back up to speed. Her father owned the pool room and she said that when I played her I didn't have to pay for time, which I thought was a great deal.

The first day we played she ended up ahead, and I paid her. The second day we ended up even, and she seemed a bit miffed because I was starting to play better and I think she thought she was just going to beat me each time we played, but I knew better.

The third day we played I beat her and my game was coming back. She got her stuff together and was about to leave when I asked her about the money. She said, "let's just carry it over until next time." I explained that I had settled up with her the first day and that I would continue playing her but that I'd like to settle up first. She just called me a "nit" and walked away up to the counter. I got my stuff together, grabbed the balls, and by the time I got to the counter she was gone. No money, AND, she told the guy at the counter that I owed the time for both of us, which I then had to pay.

We were supposed to play again the next day and she didn't show up. We never played again.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you should have came right out and asked for the money and said you had to go. just stick your hand out and wait. then if you're positive she's not going to pay her you should treat her like you would any other guy that stiffed you

BigBreak

Registered
How pathetic, i hate it when women use their gender to get away with stuff. Not very honourable. I suppose you just learn not to play with them again.

Gammaray

Wanna Play Sum?
Silver Member
Well apparently you are speaking of Amanda Lampert. Correct me if I'm wrong. :eek:

I have learned many years ago that when playing a set, always post the cheese. When playing by the game, pay off after every game, mainly if playing people you really don't know well or strangers. It is one thing if you know the person well and have played a few times in the past with that person and know that their money is good for the action. :groucho:

Just my 2 cents.

Winne2tough

Lion or the Lamb
Silver Member
pathetic player

Gammaray said:
Well apparently you are speaking of Amanda Lampert. Correct me if I'm wrong. :eek:

I have learned many years ago that when playing a set, always post the cheese. When playing by the game, pay off after every game, mainly if playing people you really don't know well or strangers. It is one thing if you know the person well and have played a few times in the past with that person and know that their money is good for the action. :groucho:

Just my 2 cents.

you know from what u have said, that is pretty sad. I personally play lisa marr in little rock and she pays me every time i beat her. So i know for sure it isnt her. Sorry to hear about that man. They should not allow her to play there anymore. If i was the room owner i would bann her from the room. The thing is, the girl will probably deny your claim and it will be a problem in your favor because she is well known and people favor women who can shoot. If i were you i would drop it, because it might come back bad for you. Here locally i had the same problem but the room owner favored with the chick who owed me money and they kicked me out. So be careful because there are rednecks out there that just dont give a shi*.
Best of luck
Jay arkansas kid

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gammaray said:

Just my 2 cents.

with 20 dollar sets just paying after every set should be fine. as long as you pay after every set you only risk a 20 dollar air barrel

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolBum said:
Well, this reminds me of a similar experience I once had with a fairly well known female player. About 10 years ago I was just getting back to playing after about seven years away from the game, and she and I decided to "practice" together so we could both get our games back up to speed. Her father owned the pool room and she said that when I played her I didn't have to pay for time, which I thought was a great deal.

The first day we played she ended up ahead, and I paid her. The second day we ended up even, and she seemed a bit miffed because I was starting to play better and I think she thought she was just going to beat me each time we played, but I knew better.

The third day we played I beat her and my game was coming back. She got her stuff together and was about to leave when I asked her about the money. She said, "let's just carry it over until next time." I explained that I had settled up with her the first day and that I would continue playing her but that I'd like to settle up first. She just called me a "nit" and walked away up to the counter. I got my stuff together, grabbed the balls, and by the time I got to the counter she was gone. No money, AND, she told the guy at the counter that I owed the time for both of us, which I then had to pay.

We were supposed to play again the next day and she didn't show up. We never played again.

Was this in New Mexico?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is one thing that I have ever learned about gambling, ESPECIALLY from reading this forum over the years, it is that you MUST get paid after every match and/or game, depending on how you're playing.

It's bad enough that there are a multitude of pool rules, providing some crawfish and welchers an opportunity to wiggle their way out of a loss, i.e., call pocket versus call shot, ball on the break a win versus being spotted and/or a loss in 8-ball, et cetera.

Here's a copy-and-paste of my previously written air barrel story involving two veterans who should have known better:

I almost hesitate to post this, but it's a true story about an air barrel, my first experience with a player by the name of Keith McCready. It all happened in Maryland at the Capital City Classic tournament.

I had been away from pool for at least 15 years or more. I ran into an old pool friend at Montgomery Mall who invited me to this pool tournament in Maryland. I really didn't want to go, truth be told, but he was insisting I should come and see the old gang. So I agreed to meet him there at a designated time.

As my luck would have it, I arrived at the parking lot of the hotel and received a phone call from him on my cell, stating he had to work late and couldn't make it. I almost didn't go in, but I was there, and so I figured I'd at least check it out.

I was kind of nervous, figuring I wouldn't know anybody, but much to my surprise, as soon as I walked in, I recognized the tournament director, Dennis Wilson, who warmly greeted me with a hug. When I walked into the ballroom, I saw Fat Wayne from Baltimore, Timmy Crown, Tom-Tom, Drug Fair, Parks. Soon I was feeling comfy sitting on the rail, sweating the matches with my pool buddies.

I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and out walks a player I recognized but had never met. It was Keith McCready. I initiated the conversation as we were puffing our smokes. He and I had a good friend in common which was Geese. Up walks this short man, and Keith introduced me to him as his road partner. I said, "I'm glad to meet you, Jose. Do you play pool too?" He chuckled, looked at Keith, and said yes. Later that week, Jose Parica won the tournament, BTW.

Keith and I went inside together. He had a friend with him named Larry Lisciotti who kept me in stitches laughing all night long. Larry, Keith, and myself were a threesome, it would seem. I was actually having a good time, laughing it up at Larry and Keith. What a combo!

The three of us stepped into an elevator and in walks this cocky blond-haired kid named Pistol Pete. He looked right at Keith and said, "You want to play some 9-ball?" Keith looks at him and says, "Well, sure. How do you want to play?" thinking he'd want a spot. The kid says, "I know exactly who you are, and I'll play your ass even for 100 bucks a game."

Well, Keith was, shall I say, on the shortskies for funds. Larry and I had some dough, and so we backed Keith 50/50. Keith wins the first game, and the kid immediately racks them. Larry says to me, "Did he get paid?" I said, "I don't know. I didn't see any money change hands." The second game, Keith wins it easy. The kid wastes no time and racks them again. This time, I said to Larry, "I don't see Keith getting paid." Larry walks over to Keith and asks him where's the cheese. Keith said the kid was going to pay him as soon as he got change. I'm thinking WTF. Change? It's $100 a game. Larry then instructed Keith to demand to be paid after the next game.

Keith again wins, and it was the third game. Pistol Pete walks over to his case on the rail, packs it up, and scurries out of the ballroom like a snake making a quick get-away. Well, Larry and me jump up and run after him, with Keith in the rears.

Outside in the lobby, a heated colloquy ensued. Pistol Pete says he ain't got no money and there ain't nothing any of us can do about it. I thought Larry was going to kill him. I was giving him a verbal lashing. However, Keith was calm as a cucumber. He listened to Pistol Pete intently, while me and Larry were hammering away at him with our anger. Keith then said to him, "Look, Kid, you shouldn't do that to people. It's okay. You can leave, but don't ever do that again to anybody, you hear?"

I was in disbelief, as was Larry. I didn't understand Keith's reaction then, but I do today. It is Keith's interpretation of that kid's air barrel that is the real meat of this story. Anybody else would have tarred and feathered the kid, but Keith only saw a young'n who wanted to play a good player for the thrill of it at all costs, even if it meant an air barrel.

Oh, BTW, we did run into Pistol Pete several months later in Baltimore. We walked into Bill and Billie's, and he was gambling with Danny Green, a local pool great, on the front table. You should have seen his eyes when he saw me and Keith walk in! What happened then, though, is a story for another thread!

Moral of the story is it can happen to the best of 'em, but if you're a smart gambler, you won't let it happen again. :wink:

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the others, that you should post her name for all to see. When fellow players start looking down their nose at her, she will change her act - or disappear.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Post her name and forget about it after that. A bad name is worth a lot more than $40. Maybe it will teach her a lesson. And then again maybe not. :confused:

Dragon Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not Amanda Lampert

I just want to hear more opinions before going public with her name.

It's not Amanda Lampert who I have so much respect for, but you were close. She is about Amanda's speed.

This is not about the money. It's about the principle. If it was about money, I would have asked her to pay me after the first set & I usually do when playing for a larger sum of money. When playing more than $100/set, I usually post, especially with people whom I don't know.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
PoolBum said:

Hmmm... She wasn't just a sore loser. She was also a liar, because she said you wouldn't have to pay the time, which you did both for yourself and her. Plus she was a thief, because she effectively stole not only the money that she didn't pay you when she lost, but also stole your money by walking away without paying her part of the table time, to say the least.

Those are the times to have printed up a picture of her with her name and what she did on self-adhesive stickers and stuck them on innumerable appropriate surfaces to warn everyone else about her.

Flex