Great Interview with Keith McCready!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was very gracious of AzBilliards to publish the interview.

And a big thank-you goes out to Geoff Conway for devoting his time and effort to make this happen. :smile:

For Keith, it means a great deal to him that he is remembered in the pool world, the only world he has known for the majority of his life. He misses pool terribly, but he hopes to be in the thick of it, come this spring. Appointments are lining up already, which is something he can look forward to. Local area pool rooms will be the first stop on his pool journey. Then it's on to Jersey and all throughout New England. Where it goes from there, who knows! :cool:

Our lives seem to center around our Mickey Boy now, and Keith absolutely adores Mickey. The two of them are best buddies. :smiling-heart:

Attachments

• P4241059.jpg
    P4241059.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,090

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
That pic makes me want to know the life story of every older guy you see walking his dog. I'm thinking every story would be interesting.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That pic makes me want to know the life story of every older guy you see walking his dog. I'm thinking every story would be interesting.

We were taking Mickey for a walk on the trails in the Rock Creek Park, right where this photo was taken, and these two joggers ran past us and suddenly stopped. One turns and says, "Hey, is that Keith? Keith McCready?" It was shocking that we'd run into anybody from the pool world, deep into that forest on a dirt path, but there it was. We were all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool. :D

It's a smaller world than we might imagine sometimes. ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read that interview too...a little glimpse into one of the greatest to grace our little world.

Glad I had the opportunity to cross his path a couple times. Jam ain't too tuff to spend time with either!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
We were taking Mickey for a walk on the trails in the Rock Creek Park, right where this photo was taken, and these two joggers ran past us and suddenly stopped. One turns and says, "Hey, is that Keith? Keith McCready?" It was shocking that we'd run into anybody from the pool world, deep into that forest on a dirt path, but there it was. We were all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool. :D

It's a smaller world than we might imagine sometimes. ;)

Just waking up...had a long night.
But I'm fully awake now....
....this post made me feel GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: JAM

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big thank yous to Geoff Conway for making this happen, to RobertaAgnor for posting the link so I could read it, and of course to JAM for the pic and comments as well as everything else she does. I am very much looking forward to seeing Keith back in action. Wishing everyone nothing but good rolls...thanks!

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact the keith is a dog lover speaks volumes to me about the man. There is no better friend

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprising this was posted in Carom Billiards section in this Thread.. What is the Future of Three Cushion Billiards in the US? - 08-10-2014, 03:37 PM and published in the Aug/Sept 2014 issue of ProfessorQBall Magazine.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=372009

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4842749&postcount=3

Thank Doug, for this added article on Luca.. Yura have started on the right track with this. Just hope He can continue with added support whether it from AZers Member, USBA, or other source, for his youth programs.

Just think what could be done if AZers and Usba members just donated a dollar each to this program. $$$$!!!!

No Matter what happen Young Blood is needed in 3C.

If viewers of this thread get a chance... they should read Paul Frankel's August / September 2014 Professor-Q-Ball Magazine article "Where Are They Now? Keith McCready" page 20-21. Where He mention.. at age 7 he started playing carom , before pool http://issuu.com/professorqball/docs/pqb_augsep_issu/0

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam, you need to encourage Keith and Mickey Boy to quit talking to each other beside that stream and start "walking" along side of it, lol. Gotta get in shape to hang with the young guys out there on the pool trail.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had that conversation before!

Jam, you need to encourage Keith and Mickey Boy to quit talking to each other beside that stream and start "walking" along side of it, lol. Gotta get in shape to hang with the young guys out there on the pool trail.

Looking at the picture I'm pretty sure Keith is trying to get down to Mickey's level and explain to him why he can't play in the stream. I have tried to have that conversation with my lab's a few times over the years. They know water was put on this earth for their entertainment, all water! Far easier to split the atom than to keep labs and water apart.

Hu

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jenny, you know that you really made Keiths life so much better by steering him in the right direction, look at him, he looks much more healthier and happy.

Good for Keith he is a very good man, and one of the very very best ever to play the game.

Jenny this is ment in a good way, I hope you and Keith the very best forever.

I hope I get to see the main man play one more time!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"To be honest with you, I haven't really retired - yet. I keep up with the pool. Every once in a while, I go down in the basement and knock some balls around. Needless to say, I bet more on sports and more on poker online. I don't really feel that I have to go out there and bust my butt in the pool world anymore, especially when every Tom, Dick, and Harry don't miss a ball. As far as I'm concerned, if I don't feel that I can compete in a manner to where I can win, I don't want to go there, just to show face. I've never been that way. I want to go there to where I think I have a good chance to win."

Keith touches on a question I had, there were some great players in his era, and I am not looking for that debate. But my question, even with the horrible state of pool today, is the QUANTITY of great players greater today than in his era?

Good interview BTW.

Ken

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
"To be honest with you, I haven't really retired - yet. I keep up with the pool. Every once in a while, I go down in the basement and knock some balls around. Needless to say, I bet more on sports and more on poker online. I don't really feel that I have to go out there and bust my butt in the pool world anymore, especially when every Tom, Dick, and Harry don't miss a ball. As far as I'm concerned, if I don't feel that I can compete in a manner to where I can win, I don't want to go there, just to show face. I've never been that way. I want to go there to where I think I have a good chance to win."

Keith touches on a question I had, there were some great players in his era, and I am not looking for that debate. But my question, even with the horrible state of pool today, is the QUANTITY of great players greater today than in his era?

Good interview BTW.

Ken

Greater players world wide yes. Just in America...no. Johnnyt
PS: Keith was a great player when there were a lot more SVB's around and a one of a kind, they threw the mold away character and nice guy.

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally i feel there were more all around great players back in the hey day of pool up to the 90s. Now we have more strong players in the rotation games now. Reason pool more world wide and not to mention USA is more populated as well so much more material out there to improve ones game!