Greatest cuemaker ever...........

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Hard to say. I have a BB with 2 new ferrulless shafts and it plays great. DPK taught Jerry Franklin, Mike Bender and Ed Young to build cues, and I have a Bender with a DPK shaft and it plays great. Burton Spain and John Davis were partners with Davis building most of the blanks Burton designed and sold to cuemakers, and I have a Davis cue and it plays great. These are all beautiful, really well-made cues. I haven't hit with a Gus or Bushka, so I guess I have to go with the combination of playability with artistic creativity and skill in execution that I personally know about and say that Tony Scianella of Black Boar is really hard to beat.
:p

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course this is all very subjective. What feels good to you, and fits your style. I have owned a Szamboti, Franklin South Wests, Black, Phillippi, R series Schons, Samsara etc. The best playing and feeling cue ever to me was a McDermott C-14! My vote for greatest cuemaker for overall playability and execution/innovation would be Gus and Jerry Franklin.

Last edited:

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
Mike Lambros---Ultra joint best playing cue's ever, and he can make anything when it comes to looks.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schuler has to get mentioned

innovations in joint technology, interchangeble shafts, and various shaft types

there was a time pro carom players were seeking him out which speaks volumes

Meucci too, he was the choice of pros for a while

best ever is the group behind Predator cues, absolutely revolutionized the game, I can hear your collective gasps as I write.......

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Gus and Ernie

Gus and Ernie. I know I'm biased, but I give the nod to Ernie. He's innovated so many design characteristics and its very hard to look at any cuemaker's work and not see Ernie's influence.

Nobody (well outside of Tad) has his longevity, or dedication and his cues are innovative and beautiful. Great hitters all designed and built to be played.

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that Gus used some Spain blanks. Is that true? I know Palmer did, Ernie did, George did. I know Stroud didn't. But Gus?

Ernie has been at it forever but won't be at it forever longer. My advice, buy 'em up (hopefully from me). Ernie's 50th anniversary is coming up (in 2012?) and I wouldn't be betting against his retirement after his commemorative 50th year anniversary (can you imagine?) series is released.

Speaking of buying Ginas, anyone got a 1st generation Gina they'd like to sell?

Thanks

Kevin

fourkingscues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all just my thoughts
1-A. Gus Szamboti
1-b. Barry Szamboti
1-c. Joel Hercek
1-d. Bill Schick
1-e. D Searing
1-f. J Showman
1-g. R Haley
To me these are my Lucky 7 cue makers ,,you cant go wrong with any of them,,but as for greatest!!! Gus was way head of his time,,,NO MORE HAS TO BE SAID..

BR Ken Carfagno

Last edited:

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Paul Mottey. I've got alot of cues including an original Balabushka, palmers, runde era schon, and a Franklin Southwest. The southwest is the closest second for me but I keep going back to the Mottey.
What characteristics draw you to your Mottey? "Hit" is so subjective that it is difficult to define, or standardize.

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's put this in perspective.....

Greatest Cuemaker ever:
Gus Szamboti. Gus is still the greatest cuemaker of all time.

Greatest Contemporary Traditional:
Dennis Searing
John Showman
Barry Szamboti
Ron Haley

Greatest Contemporary Traditional Cuemaker with the use of a cnc machine for inlay work:
Dennis Searing

Greatest Contemporary Artistic:
Ernie Guiterrez
Bob Manzino
Tony Scianella-Black Boar

Traditional Artistic:
Gus Szamboti
George Balabushka
Frank Paradise
Eugene Balner

Greatest all around living cuemaker:
Ernie Guiterrez

Who do I believe will be the next in line as the greatest of all time:

Dennis Searing/Ernie Guiterrez

Updated 11/12/2009

Last edited:

fourkingscues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott,,You are here is one you left out JOEL HERCEK<< ,,,he maybe the very best of alive cue makers today...He does it all,,,BR, Little Kenny

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott,,You are here is one you left out JOEL HERCEK<< ,,,he maybe the very best of alive cue makers today...He does it all,,,BR, Little Kenny

I was literally just about to post the exact same thing!!!

One of the best cuemakers out there who does everything from classic to classic with modern elements to truly outside box to beautifully artistic. And they all play pretty darn sporty!

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey Ken,

Joel is on my list of 12 favorite cuemakers.

My list still remains the same.....

Talk to you soon.

Scott

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
imo you have to give the nod to Gus Szamboti, after all all his achievements were done on basically fred flintstone equipment.

Im biased though because ive owned nearly all the above listed makers and sold em all and play with a plain 4pt gus. Full splice, ebony into straight maple...old school playability! :thumbup:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'd go with DPK, have never hit one of his cues that didn't make me smile.Though if you asked me what cue I'd like to own more than any other it would be a Martin or a GS

Last edited:

SlowEddie

Registered
Greatest Cuemaker

Many great cuemakers. I have owned both Balabushkas and Szambotis. My daily player is a Josswest. Bill Stroud knows how to make a great looking and playing cue. I have about 5 Josswests and they all play great consistently. I can't say that about Balabushkas and Gus Szambotis. i do not own a Dennis Searing, John Showman or Ron Haley yet.