How do you guys clean your cues?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Q Clean creme is not much more than Vim, repackaged.
In fact, you can use Vim to clean your shaft.
It has a mild abrasive in it.

Nothing wrong in using 600 or higher to get the initial garbage off the shaft.
Magic Eraser with Alcohol or ammonia is fine. Ammonia can give off nasty fumes so it would be a good idea to use eye protection and a respirator.

But ammonia does work well.

Remember, when barring the wood on a shaft, its a good idea to seal the wood again with a sanding sealer or shaft sealer.

Tung oil eh? I have a product, Dr. Wellwood or Dr.Woodwell ( have to go check on the name) It is essentially an oil like Tung oil. I have used it on a butt instead of clear. Does a beautiful job.

I'll have to try it on a shaft this afternoon. They have a web site. Check it out.

But in the long run, I have not found anything that deep cleans better than ME.
A lot of repair men and players use it. If there were any horror stories associated with ME, you would have heard about them long before now.

Well, other than prolonged use can make your finger nails fall out.

Last edited:

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
When a new or used shaft comes into my stable, first I'll scrub it with a Magic Eraser, then wipe on a couple coats of diluted shellac, sanded between coats with 1800 micro-mesh abrasive. I'll finish sand with 4000 to get it perfectly smooth, then burnish with paper from a brown shopping bag.
Weekly, every shaft I use will get a wipe down with 91% rubbing alcohol, then 100 or so strokes with brown paper bag material. Every 3 to 4 years, I'll redo the shellac sealer if I've been using that shaft regularly. With regular care, all my shafts stay bright, clean and smooth.

Bill

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
I use one of these: http://www.norwex.com/productdetail.php?prd=1&ova=371&ctg=1&lng=7&cnt=38.

Super microfiber cloth, works better than magic erasure just have to make it a little damp.

These cloths are so good, you can rub a chicken breast that's been sitting out for a week on your counter and wipe it using just water and it will take ALL the bacteria off your counter.

just amazing.

Oh yeah, since I'm plugging the product, if anybody want's one...... I happen to live with the woman that sells them.

TheThaiger

Banned
Anyone know the best way of cleaning house cues, ones that are really, really filthy? They're as red as blood. I have some rubbing alcohol and something I think is a generic ME - it's a treated sponge you add water to.

Is one better than the other? How do you actually apply/use them? Will either clean a ferrule? If not, what will?

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Anyone know the best way of cleaning house cues, ones that are really, really filthy? They're as red as blood. I have some rubbing alcohol and something I think is a generic ME - it's a treated sponge you add water to.

Is one better than the other? How do you actually apply/use them? Will either clean a ferrule? If not, what will?

Here's a post of mine from a few years ago. I doubt you'll have a shaft in worse condition than mine in this thread:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=61661

Bill

Last edited:

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
Damn!
gwar-1.jpg

i love me some gwar....to bad about cory, the band was really hitting the road hard....

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
WHAT????

First, I toss mine in a vibratory tumbler with some good cuttin media for about an hour. Then, I sand blast em for about twenty minutes. Next, take the grinding wheel to the bad spots. Then soak that sum b*tch in a bleach solution!! They look great! And at a whopping 7mm, I get tons of spin.:p

Seriously, there are some great ideas in this thread. I am going to try a few.

Braden<-----attempting humor!

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Seriously, there are some great ideas in this thread. I am going to try a few.

Braden

Good idea.
There were some long discussions in the "Ask the cuemaker" forum about 5 years ago. At the time I bought a bundle of well-used Dufferins and tried a variety of the cleaning / sealing ideas proposed. By the time I got the McDermott with the overdose of red chalk, I had my own process dialed in. I don't own any real expensive customs, but I still want them to look like they just stepped out of the spray booth.
Good luck.

Bill

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think of your shaft as a bar of soap. Anytime you use sandpaper you lose some. I use Charmin freshmates that's right butt wipes it simply works. They come moist so after the rub down dry your shaft an burnish with cheap paper towel or leather till hot. It works.

JC

Coos Cues
I have tried 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper and I didnt like it. I use 600 about once a month I have done this for along time and I have had this cue for 6 or 7 years and I havent seen any difference in my shaft and it gets nice and slick when im done with it.

600 grit quickly wears out and becomes the equivalent of much finer paper. Just use the same piece over and over again. You could stroke this paper up and down for years and not measure wood loss with a micrometer worth mentioning. I burnish with a folded up coffee filter as a final step. Cheap and very effective.

dave st.pierre

dave st.pierre
cleaning shaft

I put this on the forum before,i have used fast pumice hand cleaner for ten years ,$298 16 oz works better then any cleaner on the market.give it a try.works on shaft & ferrule rub on rag gets all chalk & grime off.wipe off with clean rag & smooth off with a piece of leather.you cant go wrong!!!!!!!

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
600 grit quickly wears out and becomes the equivalent of much finer paper. Just use the same piece over and over again. You could stroke this paper up and down for years and not measure wood loss with a micrometer worth mentioning. I burnish with a folded up coffee filter as a final step. Cheap and very effective.

I use a new piece every time and the little bit of wood loss over a long period of time Im not worried about it, but after 20 years Id want a new shaft anyway lol

kybill9

Banned
Delicate cycle

Never any sandpaper. On a regular basis some wood cleaner, let dry. Run under hot water. Use a cleaning agent for wood. Let dry until grain is down. Use high tech cleaning cloth with light water, then seal. Floor wax with high speed lathe. One a day, wipe with semi damp cloth. Seal with wax:thumbup:. Never ever use anything but delicate cycle with washing machine. Dry on clothes line, absolutely no dryers.:(