How do you practice??

Pugh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all this talk lateley about how much everyone practices, my question is how do you all practice? If you use drills, explain the most common ones you use. If you have a different routine for everyday such kicks one day banks the next, please explain that also. I am just looking for a few new things to try and spice up my practice time so its not so boring.:rolleyes:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a good practice routine, but...

Pugh said:
With all this talk lateley about how much everyone practices, my question is how do you all practice? If you use drills, explain the most common ones you use. If you have a different routine for everyday such kicks one day banks the next, please explain that also. I am just looking for a few new things to try and spice up my practice time so its not so boring.:rolleyes:
This is NOT a great practice routine, but it's what I usually do. I spread all 15 balls out on the table, nicely spread around, and then run them off. I try to work on my mechanics while doing this. My goal is to run off at least 3 tables in a row without a miss and it sometimes takes a while to accomplish this as I am only about a C+ to B- player. I have yet to make 7 tables in a row, so that's my goal at present. Other than that, I may practice some banks that typically come up when playing one-pocket.

Hustl3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent topic, I would be interested in a few drills as well, or a few new drills. I would love to establish a nice routine of drills that covers all the basis, but I only use a couple practical ones.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's interesting that you bring up practicing because I was just having a chat with an American pro today about why America's grip on the top of the ranks seems to have slipped a bit.

He suggested the way that Americans tend to go about practice and how the Europeans and Asians differ may be part of the problem.

He said, "In America we practice. In Europe and Asia they train." As I pondered on that thought, it really hit home the difference between practice and training. In a way, they are as different as night and day.

iowa_player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like playing the ghost. Rack the balls and break after the break you take ball in hand and try to run out . If you do get out thats a win for you if you dont get out its a win for the ghost. The ghost never misses ! Race to 7 or whatever you and the ghost !I find this a alot of fun and a good challenge. I have beat the ghost alot but also have been on the losing end more than i care to remember. :D

Happy Holidays

Larry

Pugh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
It's interesting that you bring up practicing because I was just having a chat with an American pro today about why America's grip on the top of the ranks seems to have slipped a bit.

He suggested the way that Americans tend to go about practice and how the Europeans and Asians differ may be part of the problem.

He said, "In America we practice. In Europe and Asia they train." As I pondered on that thought, it really hit home the difference between practice and training. In a way, they are as different as night and day.

The guy that designed the diamond smart table told me this when he was at my house last year. He played overseas for a while and said they "trained" instead of "practicing". He did not go into great detail and I am still wondering what the main differences are.:confused:

Pugh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iowa_player said:
I like playing the ghost. Rack the balls and break after the break you take ball in hand and try to run out . If you do get out thats a win for you if you dont get out its a win for the ghost. The ghost never misses ! Race to 7 or whatever you and the ghost !I find this a alot of fun and a good challenge. I have beat the ghost alot but also have been on the losing end more than i care to remember. :D

Happy Holidays

Larry

I also do this, but it does not cover a majority of the aspects of the game. You are almost always in-shape because once you miss you re-rack and start over. You never get to work on the tough shots that a match will bring at you.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Well, I start off cutting in spot shots to warm my stroke up, starting at the point where I can make it comfortably, then adding a little distance bit by bit. Then, I will practice soft straight in draws into the corner pocket, drawing abck to opposite corner pocket.

Once I am warmed up, I will practice 9 ball by brekaing racks and taking ball in hand and trying to run out. If I miss a certain type shot twice, I will stop my playing and immediately start practicing that particular shot...

The, I go back to playing the ghost..

After I get bored of that, I will break racks and practice playing safe on the 1 ball. I will also try to return the safe during this practice part. If I kick and hit it badly enough to sell out, I will practice that kick.

So, in general, I practice the shots that keep me from getting out, whether it be the shotmaking aspect, or the position aspect of the shot.

I practice some One Pocket banks, twisters, to get a "feel" for how the rails are playing.

Thazz 'bout" it..

Russ

iowa_player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pugh said:

I didnt say that playing the ghost is the only thing i do its one of the things i do. I think the best practice is playing for some cash ! Wanna practice some ? :D :D :D

Larry

realkingcobra

Silver Member
haven't you ever ran into a player that has told you they've been playing pool since before you were born...just before you beat them with your couple of years of playing experience? Just because you pocket balls 15 hours a day/7 days a week don't mean that you're game is really getting any better.

There is 2 parts to playing pool.

(1) Everything behind the cue ball being YOU the player.
(2) Everything infront of the cue ball, being what ever game you like playing.

If you can't first control the cue ball, I don't care what game of pool you like playing, you're only going to get just so good. Bad habits are going to shorten your game sooner or later believe it or not.

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
What I like doing when I get the chance is practice my missed shots. I open my little book I keep and shoot them until I have a high success rate at that particular shot.

The book I keep I record all the runouts and greatshots as well as the misses. Don't want it to bum me out too much! :D

If I have been a little lax lately in my log I usually start with Brainwash (or dynomite as some call it.) Spread all 15 balls around the table at least 6 inches apart and at least 6 inches from the rails randomly. Take ball in hand run out all 15 balls. But! The cue cannot touch a rail or another ball. No combos, caroms, banks, or kisses. Just position from each individual shot.

I do about 3 racks. Average about 11-12 balls made. My personal best was two tables cleared back to back. This is my favorite.

Then I'll do a draw drill, and a follow drill to dial in my speed. Then I practice specialty shots. Jumps, combos, kisses, banks and caroms. (One rack of each.)

At any time I start to lose focus in these drills I stop them and just start playing straight pool against myself.

On a side note... some buddies and I got into a discussion concerning breakouts or tearouts of clusters if you will. We set up random clusters with a breakout ball in place then we had to predict as close as we could the resulting positions of the balls. Everyone soon found out we couldnt predict so well. (At least 3 ball clusters or more.)

This all came after someone commented on Reyes practicing this very same thing himself before a tourny. It's humbling and worthy practice.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> When I get to play at a decent place,I do a variation of the 60 Minute Workout where I shoot all the same shots in order,but do 10 reps of each instead of 3,and 50 for shot #1. I follow this with the Shotmaker's Workout,to which I add 3 shots that Bert didn't address. This usually takes me about 3 hours playing at a nice pace. After that,I hope I can find someone to play a race to 21. Tommy D.

theoneandonly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice

I am one of the few who honestly enjoys practicing drills just as much as shooting around with someone. I don't have any set routine down pat, but rather work on many of the same drills over and over. I ordered the Joe Tucker aiming system workout book, and over time began using alot of the drills from that book into my routine. I also recently purchased The eckart book " Modern Pool". It is a great book and has many drills that I have also started to work on. I usually practice with 10 balls and shoot 5 balls from each side of the table. Banks is probably my favorite game and alot of my alone table time goes into working on my banks. I usually work on straight banks from the first 2 diamonds along the long rail. I will have the object ball a ball lengths off the bank, and then will work with the OB up against the rail. I find working on banks very enjoyable. When I get tired of just doing drills I like to resort to playing the ghost in 9ball and 1 pocket. There are a few kicking drills that I like to work on, but I always find myself getting bored with them after a short amount of time. I would recomend both of the books I mentioned in this post to anyone who enjoys working on drills to help tighten up there own game. I would also like to recomend banking with the beard to anyone who enjoys banking. The joe tucker aiming system book along with banking with the beard have in my opinion helped my game tremendously. Together they have both changed my view on aiming my shots. I have gotten into a routine where on 60% of my shots I use the half ball hit contact point to find my exact contact point on OB. I don't know if many other players play this way, but it has been working wonders for both my cut and bank shots.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
training means verbalization

Pugh said:
The guy that designed the diamond smart table told me this when he was at my house last year. He played overseas for a while and said they "trained" instead of "practicing". He did not go into great detail and I am still wondering what the main differences are.:confused:

Riley...Training is verbalizing; literally talking to yourself, as you set up, and stroke the CB. Practicing is doing the same things, in the same order; but only "thinking" the thoughts, rather than saying them out loud. We have to train ourselves to change old behavior, and learn new behavior. Then, we practice what we've trained ourselves to do. Then, we crossover, and play pool. The words mostly go away, but the actions remain, because we've imprinted them on our routine and game! We'll discuss all this, when I come out to work with you and your wife! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
renard said:
Take ball in hand run out all 15 balls. But! The cue cannot touch a rail or another ball. No combos, caroms, banks, or kisses. Just position from each individual shot.

I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this. Since using the rails is a major part of playing position in a game, why would you not want to practice position play the same way you actually play the game?

Steve

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
pooltchr said:
I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this. Since using the rails is a major part of playing position in a game, why would you not want to practice position play the same way you actually play the game?

Steve

It is just that particular portion of the game you are focusing on. You can break pool down into different shots. Banks, combos, rail position, open table position, etc... etc...

I agree using rails is a major part of playing position but many players become dependent on it. Many fail to gain proper open table position because it is overlooked and not practiced.

This drill teaches open table short position much like straight pool does. Many times in a game the benefit of a rail is not an option. When the target zone is small and you need to move the cueball a short distance of 6 inches this way, then 8 inches that way it comes in very handy. Your negotiating thru traffic at the same time taking care not to disturb other balls. In most runouts we take care in not moving other balls because we may form problem clusters as a result.

If you find you missed position in a regular game because you rolled to far or not enough in the open table why not practice it?

I picked this up from Joe Tucker and it works. Just another tool to use to get the job done.

Last edited:

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a new thing I'm doing. That is to break a rack, then start my run. If I miss a shot, I stop right there, clear the table, and shoot that exact same shot 25 times. (I have my own table and mark the position of the balls with blackboard chalk. Can also use stickers.)

Or do this with a friend. First person to miss a shot has to shoot that shot 25 times. Just stop the game and practice that one shot. This way you are spending your time practicing what you need to work on.

The "shot" you miss could include pocketing your ball, but not leaving the cue ball where you intended.

Another fun one is to play "Where will the cue ball go after this shot?" Before shooting, show your opponent where the cue ball will go after your shot.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pugh said:

No drills for me. I work on swing rhythm, approach,staying down and making that become something I don't think about. I very quickly feel myself playing better when these three things fall into place.