is it considered rude to measure the contact point with my cue on every angle shot?

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do whatever it takes, to make the ball. Don’t let anybody buffalo you. It shouldn’t take more then a few seconds. Get familiar with it, develop a good rhythm.

X2 X2 X2

i've played with sloooowwww players.

i can deal with it.... if you miss fewer balls doing as you wish , all is well. your opponents can do the same if they wish.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it considered a rude move to measure with my cue the contact point on angle shots? i do have reference points that i use to measure the cut angle on a angle shot, but if i use my cue to double check the angle that i want to shoot with, i almost get a second opinion to my self that i am picking the right spot to hit the cue ball.

i am trying to not use the cue to double check my line up, but if i dont double check with my cue, i will get a rattler, or a slight over or under cut and miss the shot.

using a touch of inside aiming system, im shooting well, but if i check BEFORE shooting by using my cue to find the contact point, i shoot much better.

BUT, im doing a lot of measuring with my cue to double check myself . is it bush league to do this, or it doesnt matter if im making my shots????
Not as much rude as just being a sign that your game and the confidence you have in your game and in your aiming is just not there yet, requiring you to repeat this process, even though you likely don’t need to. The best advice I ever received as a young player who used to do the same thing, was to stop doing that and learn to trust yourself with your aiming. The sooner you do that, the better off you’ll be.

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can do whatever you want with the cue as long as you don't lay it down on the table and let go of it.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've come across one or two cases where the opponent used his cue to leave a chalk mark on the cloth just behind the desired contact point, it's quite a subtle illegal trick one should be looking for, it's not obvious like leaving a cue on the table.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the Biggest Risk

I've come across one or two cases where the opponent used his cue to leave a chalk mark on the cloth just behind the desired contact point, it's quite a subtle illegal trick one should be looking for, it's not obvious like leaving a cue on the table.

I have seen players lay their tip on the table along the contact point and extended line the object ball will travel then swing the back of the stick to the line the cue ball will take to get to the object ball. If you are a player that uses a lot of chalk and may chalk three or four times as you go through your preshot routine over and over on a tough shot it is easy to put a tiny mark on the table. Most don't use this mark but it is still illegal to make it. Some do use it too, I have had this crap pulled on me in tournaments.

If you are marking the table, even accidentally and incidentally, it is illegal. Nobody can prove if you are using the mark or not but a disturbance that takes one or both players out of their game is very possible.

If somebody moves their cue tip on the table after just chalking they are very likely to commit a foul even if totally unintentional. Some deliberately put a mark at the point the center line of the cue ball will be when it strikes the object ball. I see this on back cuts more than most shots. I would call this myself if someone did it repeatedly.

I watched a very ethical player trying the technique of building most tough shots with the tip of the cue on the table. He wasn't deliberately marking the table or using the mark but if someone called him on marking the table they would have likely been correct.

Foul, no foul, hard to say. Depends on the rest of your routine. I use my eyes in a very similar manner, not involving the stick. Doing it without the tip of the stick ever touching the table removes any question of unsportsmanlike behavior.

I learned to deal with slow players over the course of several months long ago. Cost me a few hundred dollars in small bets, paid me back literally thousands over the next eight years or so. Taking a long time on every shot may annoy some players but most don't care as long as you are doing something and not taking an eternity on even the simplest shots.

I would practice working with locking your eye on a particular spot on the cloth and not involving the stick on most shots. However, I know of no rules in any association that makes your technique illegal unless you are marking the table or the stick leaves your hand. As has already been mentioned, you may be called for slow play especially if you are known to cobble up the flow of a tournament by all of your matches running long.

Hu

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not rude.....annoying
you should try to do it less and less as you get more familiar with common cut angles
you dont see good players do it as a routine
only on the tougher shots or combos occasionally

Isn’t purposely being annoying considered rude these days? I hope so. I think as you get more comfortable with this whacked out aiming system you won’t have to do it with every shot. If not you need to find another way to aim because it’s not the most effective for you. Until then do your thing.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players that do this are annoying and look dorky.
Same with pointing to where you wanted the cue ball to be after missing position.
Nobody cares if you missed position just shoot.
Maybe I'm old school we didn't do this in the old days.
Just get down and shoot, a good pace more important.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players that do this are annoying and look dorky.
Same with pointing to where you wanted the cue ball to be after missing position.
Nobody cares if you missed position just shoot.
Maybe I'm old school we didn't do this in the old days.
Just get down and shoot, a good pace more important.

I agree.

If you come to the table and it looks like you are trying to survey for a major highway on every shot you need to find something else to play.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I increase the handicap i am giving my opponent if is see him doing this.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try that shit where i play and you're probably gonna be in a fight pretty quick. Chicken-shit bush league move.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If touch of inside aiming system is working for you then that's great but no aiming system is a substitute for many hours spent at a pool table if you goal is to become a good player.

The more hours you spend the less often you will need to look at the contact point but high level pros sometimes look to line up the contact point.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try that shit where i play and you're probably gonna be in a fight pretty quick. Chicken-shit bush league move.

I can see why it would bother people because of the pace
of play is slowed.
If I see a guy doing this on purpose it never bothers
me a bit. Shows weakness and lack of experience.
I just see $$$!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

another old trick is to chalk up and leave the cube at the rail contact point.
Very few players pick up on this move.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I don't think lining up the shot with your stick is necessarily indicative of a slow player per se.

I know some players who do this on every shot as part of their pre shot routine and play at a reasonably brisk pace overall.

I like this much better than those who never go over and look down the shot line. Just scoot their ass over to the next ball.

I pretty much own every one of them however. Both catagories. It's a rookie habit. :grin:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
but high level pros sometimes look to line up the contact point.

I like this much better than those who never go over and look down the shot line. Just scoot their ass over to the next ball.

I can't believe it went to page 3 for someone to mention this.

OP.....eventually you should be able to just get behind the shot line and judge the angle without using your cue as an aid. See the shot then walk back over and up to the cue ball and take the shot.

Maniac

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On more difficult shots I will walk around and look at the tangent line thru the object ball into the pocket, but it's a quick look, not starting it down for minutes. I don't think it's rude, but I'm sure it slows up the game. Personally I don't like slow play so depending on how long it's taking, I might not care to play.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is it considered a rude move to measure with my cue the contact point on angle shots? i do have reference points that i use to measure the cut angle on a angle shot, but if i use my cue to double check the angle that i want to shoot with, i almost get a second opinion to my self that i am picking the right spot to hit the cue ball.

i am trying to not use the cue to double check my line up, but if i dont double check with my cue, i will get a rattler, or a slight over or under cut and miss the shot.

using a touch of inside aiming system, im shooting well, but if i check BEFORE shooting by using my cue to find the contact point, i shoot much better.

BUT, im doing a lot of measuring with my cue to double check myself . is it bush league to do this, or it doesnt matter if im making my shots????
Not rude at all as long as you move along. If you make the play slow then it's rude.

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You worry about rattling balls or missing if you give up this crutch. That would not last long if you kicked the habit except for the occasional difficult shot. Sometimes you have to let your game take a step or two backwards while you implement an improvement that will ultimately move you forward. Also, try in practice aiming while standing, getting down, and firing away immediately. You might be surprised by how often your aim is spot on with almost no fussing.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk