Ishmael "Morro" Paez

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard Morro had a stroke recently. Does anyone know how he is doing? He suffered a massive heart attack in Japan years ago and seemed completely recovered. I hope he is doing well?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have heard Morro had a stroke recently. Does anyone know how he is doing? He suffered a massive heart attack in Japan years ago and seemed completely recovered. I hope he is doing well?

Wow. I hope he is doing okay too.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best wishes to Ismael 'Morro' Paez....hope he recovers completely.

Always a pleasure to watch play...and a pretty snappy dresser.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best wishes to Ismael 'Morro' Paez....hope he recovers completely.

Always a pleasure to watch play...and a pretty snappy dresser.

A player who definitely seems to enjoy playing.
I wonder if he could do himself better if he would slow down a bit in life.

He always seems so high-strung, but an all-around pleasant person to deal with.

My best to him and his family in any necessary recovery.

rogwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great pool player

Best wishes to a quick recovery for a great pool player. Have watch him played in many tournament over the last twenty years at Hard Times Billiards, He was a joy to watch. Good Luck

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Regarding Morro!

Last we talked to Oscar Dominguez, he was in ICU and that was about 4 days ago! Anna, if I am not mistaken, talks to Oscar to update! So, if and when we get an update, we will post some information!
We wish him the best and hope he is out and about soon! A great competitor and good guy at the end of the day! :)

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Last we talked to Oscar Dominguez, he was in ICU and that was about 4 days ago! Anna, if I am not mistaken, talks to Oscar to update! So, if and when we get an update, we will post some information!
We wish him the best and hope he is out and about soon! A great competitor and good guy at the end of the day! :)

This is the last and only news that I've heard as well.

Best Vibes for Ismael!

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morro

Prayers for Morro... great player. A SoCal legend.. see you soon, brother!

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, Mexican Pool Player how about a little help here. If you have been asked by the family to keep quiet on this just let us know. There are many of us that are concerned.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you have info on Morro, would you please PM me privately? My other half is a friend of his and is concerned. He reads the forum every day, hoping to learn about Morro's condition. I hope he is okay and that you may have some further update.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If you have info on Morro, would you please PM me privately? My other half is a friend of his and is concerned. He reads the forum every day, hoping to learn about Morro's condition. I hope he is okay and that you may have some further update.

I'm sure Helfert would know or Danny Kuykendall could help. I'd love ta send em a get well card....

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Regarding Morro!

We spoke with Bernardo Chavez (King Kong) on Saturday!
This is from him;
They have done couple of surgeries on his brain. he has paralyzed and has 100% loss of speech! They are trying to save his eye sight! He has a bit of feeling in his left hand and recognizes people!
They are planning to move him into a hospice as soon as he improves more...
Hope the information is accurate and we understood King Kong correctly. Broken English could end up with wrong information!
We wish Ismael, Anna and the rest of his family the best and our prayers are with him!

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talked to Oscar at the Mezz... no further info.
At this point, forget pool... I hope our brother can recover to enjoy life!:smile:
Godspeed, Morro.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
We spoke with Bernardo Chavez (King Kong) on Saturday!
This is from him;
They have done couple of surgeries on his brain. he has paralyzed and has 100% loss of speech! They are trying to save his eye sight! He has a bit of feeling in his left hand and recognizes people!
They are planning to move him into a hospice as soon as he improves more...
Hope the information is accurate and we understood King Kong correctly. Broken English could end up with wrong information!
We wish Ismael, Anna and the rest of his family the best and our prayers are with him!

Bernardo told me also that Morro is at Mira Loma Hospital in Riverside. He gave me his wife's phone number and I will call her today. I hope her english is good enough.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JAM -

If you hear anything please let us know.

I have more confidence in you letting us know than others.

Please pass along our best wishes. :)

Ken

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Morro is one of a kind. I've heard stories for years about his playing around the San Diego area. Eventually he ended up in LA and I watched him play several times. Very entertaining. great attitude. and a SHARP dresser!

I met him the first time at one of the Reno Sands events around 1988 or so. He was a perfect gentlemen, and his word was like gold.

And I found that to be true over the next 25 years or so (I haven't seen him in several years) - his word was always good.

He was good action and a great roll model for pool.

Every memory I have of him brings a smile. (Except when he hung a 9-ball and forfeited that game. AND opponent got a one game bonus for the forfeiting of the game - which won the match! so from 10-9 winner to 11-10 loser in one stroke). I think this happened at one of the world's events overseas.(if my memory serves me right)

I'm really hoping for a return to a decent quality of life for the man. He deserves it.

Mark Griffin
a proud member of the Morro fan club

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every memory I have of him brings a smile. (Except when he hung a 9-ball and forfeited that game. AND opponent got a one game bonus for the forfeiting of the game - which won the match! so from 10-9 winner to 11-10 loser in one stroke). I think this happened at one of the world's events overseas.(if my memory serves me right)

I'm really hoping for a return to a decent quality of life for the man. He deserves it.

Mark Griffin
a proud member of the Morro fan club

This happened to him at College Billiards in San Diego against Victor Castro. Morro apparently forgot about the "no forfeit rule", where it costs the offending player an extra game. In the heat of battle Morro was disappointed that he hung up the 9 and told Victor he didn't have to shoot it. Victor gave him every opportunity to make sure that's what he wanted. Morro confirmed and soon found out the match was over.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Damn it damn it damn it, it's hard to imagine a time when Morro isn't with a smile jumping around the table shouting "Arriba!!" when breaking the balls. Wishing Anna the best and hope that somehow he makes a full recovery, damn it damn it damn it.

Neil