James Aranas Zoren

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy popped up on FargoRate recently and now hes in the #3 spot in the entire world right below Shane Van Boening and right above Jayson Shaw.

Rhea and FargoRate sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G.

Someone sure has a fondness for FargoRate ratings.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be nice to know how accurate the ratings are depending on the robustness. For example with a total of 5 racks played, it might be +- 200 points, while with 4000 racks played it might be +- 5. A quick calculation seems to say that at 365 racks played the rating is probably right within 20 points and very likely right within 40 points. The uncertainty in the rating is dependent on who the player has played since severe mismatches give less info than matches between roughly equal players.

Yes, information comes more efficiently when playing opponents near your own speed. And a further complication is if depends in a complex way on how firm is the rating of each of your opponents. Below is a
little blurb we put on facebook last week about James. Bob's ranges seem reasonable to me.

I will also point out that when a new rating is near the top, it is more likely to be too high than to be too low.

We had one case, Artem Koshovyi from UKR, where a player was rated 800 with just over 200 games played. Artem now has 800 games, and is rated 760.

Is James Aranas a top 5 player? Probably not. But I think there is a pretty good chance he is a top 30 player. And that is notable for somebody just popping into the ratings...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 12.24.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 12.24.23 PM.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,077

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is one of many matches I've seen of him playing Jeffrey Ignacio, just for anyone who was curious what he looked like or how he played. I saw him walking round at the rio and thought to myself, "where do I recognize this guy from?" Then I realized it was from these youtube matches.

https://youtu.be/qbPh01iZRLA

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw him at the Rio and he was all the buzz with his hair in a mini bun and shooting skills - he stood out.

His match for 2nd place to Kiamco should have been on the TV table for an 8 Ball final.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is one of many matches I've seen of him playing Jeffrey Ignacio, just for anyone who was curious what he looked like or how he played. I saw him walking round at the rio and thought to myself, "where do I recognize this guy from?" Then I realized it was from these youtube matches.

https://youtu.be/qbPh01iZRLA

He is known as Dodong Diamond on Facebook.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I have not followed the Fargo rating system, though I have seen a lot of threads about it.

How can it be accurate if some players cannot attend the tournaments that it rates? I guess I don't get it -- yet. :p

Take the time to read up on it from Fargo themselves. Great rating and pretty dang accurate.

Lot of bad info on here by haters and people who refuse to accept facts right in their faces.
Jasob

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
How can it be accurate if some players cannot attend the tournaments that it rates? I guess I don't get it -- yet. :p

A person can't clock someone's else's speed without having seen them play or without having heard about a number of their matches including who they played against and what the scores were. It is the same thing with FargoRate. It can't clock someone's speed without being aware of some of their matches, including who they played against, and what the scores were that they won or lost by.

After FargoRate becomes aware of 200 of a player's games (not matches, but individual games) that player's rating will usually be pretty darn accurate and it is called an "established" rating at the 200 game threshold (and it is considered "unestablished" or "preliminary" prior to that--i.e. "we don't have enough info to be able to consider the rating to be reasonably accurate and reliable yet"). The more games a player has in the system, the more accurate their rating becomes so it continues to get even more accurate in perpetuity the more games it becomes aware of from someone.

If you have watched somebody play 400 games, you will have a more accurate gauge of their speed than when you had only seen them play 200 games. Same thing with FargoRate where a rating gets more accurate the more games that FargoRate has "seen", but after 200 games it already has a pretty good gauge.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
It's worth reading up on, Jen....it takes into account WHO you beat also.

Aside from taking into consideration the speed of your opponent, it also takes into consideration the score of the match and not just who won or lost. A 9-8 loss to SVB says something entirely different about your speed that a 9-1 loss to SVB. Same thing with matches you won, where the amount you won by against a certain opponent also says something about your speed.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have zero experience with the Fargo Rate. BUT James Aranas can play pool. Period.. He just beat Johnny Archer 9-1 alternate break. I watched him Wednesday night. He is a great player. End of discussion..

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have zero experience with the Fargo Rate. BUT James Aranas can play pool. Period.. He just beat Johnny Archer 9-1 alternate break. I watched him Wednesday night. He is a great player. End of discussion..

I always find it amusing when someone tells an entire forum when the discussion is over!

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Kid was getting out from everywhere, but Johnny sure was giving him lots of chances. I think that match loss was more on Johnny.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the match was played on one of the gold crowns then Johnny must have been really, really struggling. They all have 5 inch pockets!!!

Last edited: