Looking for medium to hard tip

twal

"W"
Silver Member
I and looking at getting away from the medium tips as I usually tap them so they stiffen up. I don’t think I am ready to go all the way with a hard tip.

The tip I current use as a Kamui Medium (tan).
Muellers has that listed as 75 on the hardness rating.

I don’t care to use any of the black tips. Personal preference. I just think they have a greater tendency to glaze over.

So anyway I am looking for something in the 78 to 79 hardness rating and looking for opinions.

Any one use tips in the medium to hard range and really love them?
What ones?

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Is the no one who plays with a med-hard tip?
Looking like another trial and error for me:frown:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I won't spend a ton of money on a tip. I'm not even sure I like the idea of layered tips. It seems to me as one of those tips wears, each layer must be a little different than the other. :scratchhead:

Anyway, LePro is ok, just seems a bit hit or miss sometimes on quality these days.

I'm curious about the Triumph tips. These may be just what I want. Muellers has em on backorder last time I looked though .....

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Tiger Emerald

I have had them on several different cues. They hold chalk well. They hold their shape well, and they play as good as any other tip I've tried. I think they are the best tip for the money period.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Med. to Hard Tip

Super Pro layered red buffalo tips ( $2-4 each), med. to hard, they hold up well (no mushrooming) and still will work the cue ball !
F.Y.I.

I and looking at getting away from the medium tips as I usually tap them so they stiffen up. I don’t think I am ready to go all the way with a hard tip.
I don’t care to use any of the black tips. Personal preference. I just think they have a greater tendency to glaze over.

So anyway I am looking for something in the 78 to 79 hardness rating and looking for opinions.

What ones?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a tip at 82 on the durrometer, but I like them a lot. Last forever, almost no maintanence, holds chalk, does not miscue....

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

What ones?

For me, there's nothing better than a good pressed triangle.

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
I second the triangle tip, hands down best tip for the money, can't go wrong with it and for less than a dollar per tip

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i usually soak/press Tiger Emerald tips to make it medium hard. i press it to about 70% of its original thickness, to achieve the hardness i prefer.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i prefer triangle tips
i am told they are kinda hard

i like the way they feel and they are best for me

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Tiger Onyx is an excellent medium-hard tip.
I would also try an UltraSkin hard and maybe even a water buffalo tip.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lepro is the best medium to hard tips, for me they feel right, specially if you get lucky with what you really want.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I know a Medium that likes Medium tips, go figure.

But he is a little on the portly side so his nickname is Medium Soft.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
All layered tips require some maintenance
I prefer the gator grip.
I would also suggest trying an ultra skin hard.
The playability that comes with a black tip will outstrip the requirement of occasionally scuffing the tip.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i second the triangle tip, hands down best tip for the money, can't go wrong with it and for less than a dollar per tip

your right after trying many tips over the years always back to these! Although have not tryed many of the newer layered tips in the last 10 years other than morri.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i second the triangle tip, hands down best tip for the money, can't go wrong with it and for less than a dollar per tip

your right after trying many tips over the years always back to these! Although have not tried many of the newer layered tips in the last 10 years other than morri.